[Linden help required] Unable to connect to server

dyga19

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4568 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello, I am unable to connect to the server. Pretty sure it's because of a group I was invited to recently. I've read up here and it sounds like it's a glitch with the tag or somesuch. But since I can't log in, I'm unable to leave that group. Is there a way for me to do that, leave a group while not logged into SL? If not, then I'm begging any of you Linden folks out there to help me out, this is driving me bonkers. Whoever fixes it first gets a cookie!

Thanks & Hugs in Advance,

Az

EDIT:

Ok I tried all of that, still unable to connect to any sims, period.

Changing the starting location met with no results.

Turning off name tags, same.

And everytime I clicked display name on that website, nothing happened. Didn't load or anything.

EDIT 2:

Problem solved. The group owner booted me from the group after i managed to contact him via a friend.

9 answers to this question

Hi. To contact Lindens file a support ticket or contact live chat, click help at the top left of this page then contact support on the right side of the next page.

While you wait, you may be able to go to your login screen, click on Me at the top left before trying to log in, click Preferences then General then Name Tags Off. Then try to log in.

• Like 1

Welcome to Second Life Answers, dyga19. 

Let's not jump the gun here. There might just be an issue with a server somewhere.

Please change your start location on your login screen and try again.

It is possible that it is the characters in your display name that is causing you problems.  You can change this via the webpage, https://my.secondlife.com/settings/profile  and choosing "Display Name".

Good luck.

• Like 1

There aren't any Lindens here, but we can usually help.  The "illegal character" problem is well known by now.  You can read more about it here >>> https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SVC-6608? and add your own observations if you have something to add that might help LL's developers cure the bug.  Some people have apparently been able to solve the problem by entering Preferences from the login page (Type CTRL + P) and turning off the option to display the current active group tag, but that doesn't work for very many people.  Short of filing a support ticket and getting LL's help, the best approach is to enter SL as an alt, find the group's owner, and ask her/him to eject you from the group. 

• Like 1

Thanks for adding more information to your original post. 

Please go to Rolig's answer - creating an alt and contacting the group owner may be the answer.

(You might not be able to change your display name currently, if you have changed it within the last seven days.)

Whenever you cannot login, check the grid status. It is a good idea to check over a period of an hour or so, before you undertake any serious changes to your computer. If you are one of the first peolpe to run into a problem, it may take the Lindens some time to decide it is a system problem and post a status update.

Also, we now have a new way to contact people when we cannot get in-world. Visit: https://my.secondlife.com/

Select the People tab. Pick a friend, follower, or one you are following and click their name. In the top of their profile you will see a pencil icon. You can click it and select Send Message.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4568 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.