Extra bones! Making SL avatars flawless!

MaxTux Wonder

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4515 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Basically, a jewelry creator would need to rig the ring to the exact skeleton. If every creator used the same advanced skeleton, which may or may not actually happen, your ring would work for every1 with that skeleton. If the skeleton or rigging was different, your ring would not work.

If I were LL, and made custom skeletons possible, I would release 1 advanced skeleton with a tail, fingers, ear bones, and a multiple joint jaw bone. Maybe some back wing bones too. This would cover the vast majority of more normal avatars, and would give animators another base skeleton to work off of. Hopefully, that would result in the consumers of these avatars having many different options to choose from, instead of the avatar makers having to create every concievable option for every avatar they make. Or maybe LL just needs to set forth a hierarchy of naming all the possible bones. This way, at least every1 is naming their bones in the same way.

Or, LL could do it in an even simpler way, which might even be better and more versatile. Instead of creating new skeletons, let us attach our own bones to existing bones in the skeleton. So, for instance, some1 makes a good custom hand, and any1 can buy that hand and attach it. Or, some1 creates a tail with their own bones and that just attaches to the pelvis bone. Hopefully, creators would release the bones and rigging to every1 and then those could be standardized and used by every1 that created such things.

Look again at the video. The bone can only move along 1 axis and rotate.

Technically, I can't see why we even need to add anything to the actual skeleton at all. If LL just works on the ability to import any mesh with custom bones, then by default, they have also created bones that you can attach. We can already attach a prim or a mesh to a bone. I don't see why a mesh with bones is any different.

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, but I have to say I don't quite understand the point of this thread.  When I saw the title, with its exclamation points, I was briefly excited, as it looked like you were announcing that a new feature had been confirmed.  But all you were really doing was making a suggestion.

The suggestion itself has of course been made hundreds of times since the dawn of SL.  Many of us have asked for the abilty to individually animate fingers, the jaw, parts of the face, etc., in the default avatar.  We've also had many a conversation about the ability to create custom skeletons for rigged meshes.  The former is unlikely ever to happen, but the latter is in the works. 

Needless to say, the allowance of arbitrary skeletons would negate any need to add anything at all to the default one.  If you don't like how the default skeleton works, you can just replace it with your own.

• 1 month later...

Looking at the video in the other topic on this ( http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Mesh/Additional-bones-joints-possible/td-p/1087487 ) I would say it seems like it is, or at least was possible, though I've not the slightest clue how you'd make an animation with a new bone in it, that would be my only problem (don't know if you can create .bvh animations out of blender or another program like that somehow would be nice if you could).  However as someone else pointed out the movement in that video is limited, still it's not so limited that you couldn't use it for a few things, particularly jaws if done right.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4515 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.