SL setup.exe is not a valid win32 application?

charity Hollow

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4575 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I had several viewers already when sl started acting up so I wanted to do a clean uninstall. Did my best and removed all my programs and files, think I did caches too. (I've already read them on Google how to do a clean uninstall.) Seems to be all removed too. But when I tried to reinstall SL I got this,

C:Documents and Settings\my name\My Documents\Downloads\Second_Life_3-0-3-240895_Setup.exe is not a valid Win32 application.

(My name being my own.) This was when I tried to reinstall sl viewer 2. Same with many others including Firestorm. Usually I just open the download and it starts. This time I'm continuously getting this message and it will not work for me. I maybe deleted too much when trying to do a clean uninstall, but I don't think I did. Can anyone here help me out? 

Hello charity. I think you did something wrong. Let's take things from the beginning. Uninstall again all viewers and after delete also all contests at the following folders:

C: \ Users \ (USER NAME) \ AppData \ Roaming \ SecondLife

C: \ Users \ (USER NAME) \ ApplData \ Local \ Secondlife

Continue the same with all viewers you have installed in your computer even you use them occasionally. For example:

C: \ Users \ (USER NAME) \ ApplData \ Local \ PhoenixViewer

C: \ Users \ (USER NAME) \ ApplData \ Local \ Firestrorm  etc.

After, restart your computer and download the viewer(s) you want. That's all.

Forgot to say that if you want to keep your private conversations you had in world, copy the folder with your name into the folder SecondLife in another position in your hard disk. The folder is:

C: \ Users \ (USER NAME) \ AppData \ Roaming \ SecondLife \ charity_hollow

(same paths if you have alts)

Hello. Yes, that's what I had troubles with in the first place. What is the (USER NAME)? My rl name or my sl name? And if sl name do I type it charityhollow or charity hollow? Also, I cannot delete and reinstall because they never did install. There isn't even an icon on my desktop. I only got a small white box with  blue across the top in my download files for each viewer. All of which will not open. I have about 3 or 4 there. Btw, I'm using 32 bit for display settings. It's either that or 17 bit. And as of  up till only a few hours ago sl worked like usual  (besides me being a cloud) untill I tried to do this clean uninstall with cache and all. I went in and did them all by hand because I couldn't get those paths to open. So I typed in sl or Phoenix myself and delted it all.

OH! And just noticed. The one viewer I did leave untouched in my downloads was the original 1-23-5 sl viewer. When I tried to open and install it I got this,

Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

That's why i said that somewhere you made a mistake.

(USER NAME) = the name of your computer / laptop (active computer's account), you find it with right click on "My computer". Alternavitely you see it at the top of the right column of "Start Menu". In the pic is "user". Could be everything else. A computer can have more than one users accounts, if for example you share the same computer with someone else. If so, when you open your hard disk (C:\) you see the folder "users" and into it separately folder(s) with the names of all accounts in this computer. If you have just one you see 1 folder (called user if you haven't renamed it), you open it and follow the path. Sometimes the folder AppData is a hidden folder. You make visible hidden folders (Windows Tools \ Folder Options \ View & enable Show Hidden Files/Folders)

Win7 start menu.png

Oooh. Ok. Well, I think I just answered my own problem. I Googled and found this,

Method 3 – Unblock the file

If neither of those two methods worked, the file may be blocked by Windows. Note that this is only for Windows Server 2003 and higher.

When you copy an EXE file from another computer to a Windows Server 2003 box, there is what is called a blocked property set on the file. This is due to the increased security on servers.

Right-click on the file and choose Properties. You’ll see a button called Unblock at the bottom.

Once I chose to unblock it it began to download for me. But, thanks so much for your help as I am unfamiliar with computer terms and very bad at finding file paths. 

So much for that. It only worked with the one viewer I had left. The new ones I'm trying to reinstall, still do not work and I have no option to unblock. I'm completely lost. When I go to my computer to find this "username" I only see "my computer" and the only thing I see at the very top of my start menu is documents. I did see my full computer name, which is very long and full of numbers and such, maybe that is it. I'm probably typing the wrong name in and that's why I'm not getting anywhere. And I noticed, the downloads say they are 0 bytes, so I'm not sure if that means there is nothing in it to open in the first place. I did try this full computer name where it says "username" cut and pasted from above. But it says to make sure the path or internet address is correct.

There usually aren't a lot of folder options in your Documents & Setting directory, so I can't imagine that it's all that hard to even open them at random until you find the right one.  The username on your computer is the one that you use to log in with, when you open Windows.  Unless you typed your own name in when you set up your computer, it may have defaulted to something generic like Administrator.

Hm ok. I read again your first post. You have Windows XP, right?

Open your hard disk (C:\) and find there the folder "Documents and Settings". Open it. Into there you find the folder (USER). We explained what is this folder. Into it find the folder Application Data --> SecondLife

The other folder is: C: \ Documents and Settings \ (USER NAME)\ Local Settings \ Application Data \ Second Life

I don't log into my computer. I've never had to have this usename before so I've not looked. I right click my computer and got open, explore, search, and so on. However, when in add/remove programs all my other viewers are gone. So I can't uninstall again. Yet I can't install them either.

Sorry, was responding to the other post. Yes, I did this just now ---- Open your hard disk (C:\) and find there the folder "Documents and Settings". Open it. Into there you find the folder (USER). We explained what is this folder. Into it find the folder Application Data --> SecondLife

I am there. I see my alt name, logs, and user settings. But when I do ---- The other folder is: C: \ Documents and Settings \ (USER NAME)\ Local Settings \ Application Data \ Second Life. With my username in it, I get that error again. To make sure that path or internet address is correct. I wonder if I maybe delted the entire folder earlier. I deleted a lot of things if it said "secondlife" on it.

Yes all contests inside. I write again the 2 folders:

C: \ Documents and Settings \ (USER NAME) - Application Data \ SecondLife and
C: \ Documents and Settings \ (USER NAME)\ Local Settings \ Application Data \ Second Life

No sure if you have already deleted earlier these folders but it is not a problem.  

I know. This is what I do not get. I downloaded this here earlier. And just tried again from those links, I get the same error. Says it's not a valid win32 application. And it shows as 0 bytes. I cannot choose to unblock either. It just looks funny. Usually I get the viewer icon and this is a white box with blue ontop.

Yeah, that is what I think too. Because it shows as nothing and that error keeps on showing. I've tried everything. Even starting in safe mode and signing in that way to try and open it. But unfortunately while in safe mode I didn't see any of my downloads. I had read that on Google to try and do this. Some reason everytime I download sl it shows this. Well, I can't actually open it of course. I do not get the icon or icon on my desktop like I used to when it worked. And yes I do download it right from the sl website. This happens with the 4-5 other viewers I've tried to download also.

refresh the directory view, if it's still there, delete it, if it gives an error, run disc check, if not refresh again to make sure it's gone, then....

go to the SL download page, right before you click download, turn your virus checker off, then turn it back on after it's done downloading.... it could be detecting a false positive, and if it's in silent mode it wouldn't tell you...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4575 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.