Creating a Skin Business, how do i start?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4530 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I just started and im really interested in being a designer, i have downloaded the skin templates and i made some few which are really nice, i have some photoshop skills. I just want to know how to open up a business to start selling my creations, will it be expensive? Thanks, will be happy for all your answers!

JessicaMcAdams wrote:

I just started and im really interested in being a designer, i have downloaded the skin templates and i made some few which are really nice, i have some photoshop skills. I just want to know how to open up a business to start selling my creations, will it be expensive? Thanks, will be happy for all your answers!

well a good way to start is to build up some inventory first..maybe wear some of your skins around  that you make..

i would hold off on any kind of expenses other than what it takes to make your product for now..

make a few that you think will do well and put them on the market place  and see how well they do..

then if you start getting some good responses to your work..then maybe put up an inworld store...

by this time you shoudl have some inventory to set out for display..

thats just a quicky run through..

the start up can be slow at first if you are just starting to create them.. =)

Make sure the skin templates you use are legal. No, I don't know how to do that. Ask around I guess.

One well known skin store got dinged for that and had to shut down. They said they didn't know, and I believe them. But it just shows it can happen. You don't want to waste your time and resources.

JessicaMcAdams wrote:

Thanks for all the responses
:)
but how do i know its legal?

Where did you get them from?  If you are talking about the basic templets that you get for SL skin and clothing, they are free and legal for anyone to use... but, if you're using someone else's skin designs as a starting point, there may be a problem.  It depends on how you acquired them and what the creator's licensing agreement (if any) states at the time.

If there is no problem, your best bet is to start slow, as Ceka has suggested... meanwhile, read up in the merchant's forum here and you're sure to get a better picture on what to do once your business starts to take off.

...Dres

ETA: Marketplace is the logical place to start selling them.

How to start a successful skin business in SL:

(for entertainment purposes only, not actually good advice)

1. Download Eloh Eliot's free skin templates.

2. Spend a minute or two and make a couple very minor changes here or there, like changing a color or hue.

3. Give your skins some snazzy names like, "Samantha", "Melissa" or even "Daniel"...ooh!

4. Take one skin, adjust the saturation/color on it at least 10 times each.  Make each one a separate product.

5. Viola! Your skin business is ready!

6. If anyone points out these are Eloh Eliot skins with little or no changes at all, with your CAPSLOCK ON tell them that you,

A: Have never heard of Eloh Eliot!

B: Made them yourself.

C: Only used them as a reference, and totally made all these changes and stuff which makes them worth (at least) 3000L per skin.

7. BONUS File DMCAs and Abuse Reports on anyone else using Eloh Eliot templates for their skins because they're obviously ripping you off.

P.S. I actually encountered someone before who was selling EE's skins (without even bothering to change anything) and claiming they were her own original skins.  When I pointed out to her (facetiously) that this Eloh Eliot person was "ripping them off" from her she actually agreed with me. <_<

• 6 months later...

Starting your own business can be extremely expensive. The best advice I can give you is to make sure you have a good education before you start. There are some great classes and programs you can look into to get the information you need to succeed with your own business. Check out my website to find some great MBA programs you should consider. Good luck with your business!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4530 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.