How to be a Designer of Custom Skins, and start a Business?

JessicaMcAdams

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4634 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I just started and im really interested in being a designer, i have downloaded the skin templates and i made some few which are really nice, i have some photoshop skills. I just want to know how to open up a business to start selling my creations, will it be expensive? Thanks, will be happy for all your answers!

4 answers to this question

Opening a business is extremely easy.  If you want to sell through Marketplace, all you need to do is follow the instructions here >>> http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Selling-in-the-Marketplace/ta-p/700193 .  It doesn't cost you a thing to place items there for sale.  LL takes a 5% commission on anything your sell, and you can pay through the nose for special ad placement outside of your store.  Other than that, though, there are no direct costs.

Selling through an in-world shop is almost as easy.  You will need to rent a shop somewhere, so that's a recurring cost (Still, not more than a few dollars USD a month, though).  You may find the information here interesting and helpful >>> http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/How-to-market-your-products/ta-p/700181.  

You can always count on indirect costs.  Materials (textures, software, animations....) are one-time costs that you amortize over the life of your products.  Advertizing costs something, whether it's the ad placements in Marketplace or a classified ad, or a billboard in world.  And of course there's your time.  Creators in SL almost always undervalue their time, because nobody is going to buy your SL products if you charge reasonable RL rates for your time.  A really good skin can sell for a few thousand Lindens, but that's still only $10-$15 USD.  Considering the time it takes to create one, that's not much.

• Like 1

Getting started in the SL Market Place is basically free.

Right now SL is changing over from the older Magic Box technology to Direct Delivery (DD). Magic Boxes need to be in-world somewhere. I rent a little cottage for L$100/week and park mine there. LL will provide a free place for the box for 30 days or so.

For now you will probably need to use a Magic Box. They are free and you can get them in the Market Place. We may see DD roll to the main grid next Tuesday if things go well. It is in testing in the Le Tigre release channel this week. In which case you can try DD and avoid having to use a Magic Box, which will mean you won't have to maintain one in-world.

This is a change over to the new DD feature so expect problems. I suggest giving it some time, 3 or 4 weeks. Read up on marketing in SL and in-world. There are loads of free tutorials via Google and in-world. Search the forum for more info on DD and how it works. Read the wiki on DD.

Probably most important, go shopping in both the Market Place and in-world. You don't have to buy anything. Look at how things are presented. Pay close attention to the things you are tempted to buy and their presentation. Also notice the prices.

As you shop you will start to notice designers that have many in-world shops. Pay extra attention to their presentation. Then check out their market place presentation.

In-world shops rent for L$100/week and up with various numbers of prims allowed. Having a lot of shops is a good indication they are selling well and being successful. They are the ones to learn from. You have to decide if it is more the product or the presentation that is the cause of their success. Use what you think will work and experiment trying different things to find what works.

Good luck. ...oh... ethnic skins are usually hard to find...

(and this is my post 1,000 :)  )

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4634 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.