Unrealistic lighting effect

Sy Beck

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4565 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm asking this more in hope than anticipation. 

In the attached pic is an enclosed corridor, which has no windows or any light source present.  The wall on the right though appears as if it is illuminated by the sun, which it is, while the left wall is naturally darkened.  Is there any workaround so that the wall texture on the right in this instance will display as if it were in an unlit environment?

Undarkened corridor_001.png

Since the dawn of SL, light hasn't been able to be blocked.  So, yeah, the sun pervades through all surfaces. (>_<)

Though, if you can nab a new new Nvidia card, turning shadow rendering and ambient occlusion will yield the ability to block the sun and projected textures. (^_^)

I've got a pretty dramatic example here. =^-^=

http://snapz.me/i/506904.jpg

• Like 1

Clearly you don't want this to look good for just you but for everyone who sees it so your fix is to do something that everyone will see I am sure.

That is from the environmental lighting that will always pass through objects and use the shaders to create a shadow affect of sorts.  There are two work around.

1.  Make it all Full Bright - which will remove any shaders and make them all bright - if you choose this option, I recommend adding lighting effects to your textures in the Photoshop filters which will add lighting effects and make the rest dark.

2.  If your Sun is in a fixed position, tint the walls so they are the same shade

3.  Just go full bright and not have any shaders (all the walls will look like the one on the right)

4. Build underwater where shaders have less affect.

This is a common nuance that separates good builders from great builders, finding ways to make this system look more real within the confines of this rudimentary game platform.  You can go to my shop and see my prefab to get an idea of how to create a realistically lit build with the right shadows and shaders.

• Like 1

Sy, The simplest way to avoid this problem is to set the sun either Midday or Midnight. Midday puts the sun straight overhead, evenly illuminating surfaces, midnight does the same, only darker and cooler. If you want the warmth of morning/evening light, you can get that from various windlight settings.

• Like 1

Thanks Immy I pretty much guessed so, but after being a away from SL for a while I was taking a punt that something shiny and new may have come along. 

I've got a nVidia GT420, I looked at the options and didn't see anything in the global settings for shaders, there was an option for ambient occlusion, but under the settings for SL within that it said, "Not supported by this application"...?  Anyhoos, if I can't enable it for everyone who is going to look at my stuff then no point bothering much doing it for myself. 

That pic though is excellent and is how things should look in an ideal SL world.; lucky you. :smileyhappy:

@Chelsea & Madelaine

Thank you both for the ideas,  I should explain that I'm building a house (for sale) where I wanted a darkened corridor lit mainly by some wall mounted gas lights for some authentic ambience.

Therefore, sun presets wouldn't be a viable option because I can't dictate that to a buyer.  For a moment I thought Chelsea had the answer with her suggestion of some PS manipulation of the texture.  I'm not sure though whether that's viable (or I'm not understanding the suggestion properly) because I won't be able to dictate to a customer which way they should face their house so that the manipulated texture would work as intended.  I will though when I login go check your shop to see what you've done, your marketplace items look great.

P.S. @Madelaine

Was there any video of that noise cacophony party you invited people to at The Burning Man?  I thought I was recording it with FRAPS but ended up with a 20 min video of my desktop with all the noise in the background. :smileysad:

For textures and builds that you are going to sell to the public, using a lower powered video card is actually better than using the best card.  As I'm sure you know, most people have mid to low level graphics in their machines............the 420 is perfect (good enough for decent graphic display but not so top end that only users with comparable cards can see all that detail.  Now if you are catering to only the high end video crowd, that's a quite different story).

• Like 1

Couldn't agree with you more Peggy.  Before I put something up for sale I pretty much bottom out all my GFX sliders to see what it looks like at SL's poorest settings and see what visual and/or build tweaks I can add there to improve the look.

MrsSissyMorrison wrote:

to get this how yu want- it is simple, make yur texture however dark you want it and set to full bright on the prim. when set to ful bright the testures are not impacte by the sun changing.

They aren't effected by any other lights either, it looks just as bad in the opposite way. Especially if you make light colored prims fullbright, then at night time avatars will look super dark in a bright room, very weird.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4565 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.