Remembrance Day - November 11th

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4542 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The Cenotaph-001 - RoBeck Land.jpg

I've recently given over a section of one of my regions, RoBeck Land, in remembrance to the armed forces and all of those that have given their lives in the defence of freedom throughout the world from WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam right up to the present day in Afghanistan and Iraq.

The "Garden of Remembrance" is actually meant for the UK but it is there for all to use and it is in memory of ALL the armed forces from the UK, British Commonwealth, the USA and Nato as well and for all the reserves and volunteers. Although Veterans Day in the USA is the same as Remembrance Day for us in Britain and also in other countries too. This memorial is, as I said, for ALL to visit and to use and the Cenotaph will be in my region until the end of November this year.

I've written some blogs about this as well and you can read about it here

http://rorrimsl.wordpress.com/2011/10/09/the-cenotaph-memorial-robeck-land-in-second-life/

I've also added an update to the above blog as well with regards to this event and that is a separate blog as I made a few amendements to the memorial.. (a few things were added to the area.)

Edited to add a SLurl to the region (I forgot to add this earlier on today)

SLurl for the Cenotaph Memorial in RoBeck Land

Beautiful initiative Rorrim. I am sure you won't mind putting a French flag somewhere. November 11th is a Remembrance Day in France too as a tribute to the 1,697,800 people who lost their lives.

Edited to add : "Brothers in Arms".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_I_casualties#Casualties_by_1914_borders

WorldWarI-MilitaryDeaths-EntentePowers.jpg

One century after, we may also have a prayer for the 7,153,241 deads of the Central Powers.

Thanks, I'll add a flag when I get a chance to get online and go to my region.

As I said this memorial is actually primarily for the British and Commonwealth military and as such that does and will take precedence, although I do make mention of other conflicts since WW1. Namely Iraq and Afghanistan in which British forces were and still are involved. No offence is meant, or intended, if flags are not put in the region as my time is somewhat limited due to certain RL related things.. namely relatives visiting from abroad, work and another item I'm not really at liberty to talk about, as this is the one that is the problem with regards to me being online as much as I'd like to be.

Please, if you can do so, visit the memorial. I've added a Slurl for this in my previous post as I forgot to add it when I originally posted it earlier on today. Hopefully it works as I used a SLurl builder to make it and  I'm not sure if the html on this forum will allow it to work correctly, although I did add the relevant details on the popup box that opened in the Rich Text part of this. There is, however, a workable SLurl in my Wordpress blog though. So if the one on here "fails" then please use the one in my blog on Wordpress. I've also added this as an event on the Event Calender and it will be listed for Sunday 13th November, as that is Remembrance Sunday, and it's the Sunday closest to the 11th November this year.

Thank you very much. This is very thoughtful of you. I know there was no offence. I certainly will go to the memorial as soon as I can, and will virtually lit a candle for all of those who fell, and who are still fighting and falling in Iraq or Afghanistan (the lattest British and French forces are both involved ).

• 4 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4542 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.