Why is LL banning for no reason?

Syo Emerald

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4463 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Mayalily wrote:

Peggy Paperdoll wrote:

How many people who use routers lock those routers down.  Meaning blocking any device from accessing the router and gaining access to the Internet (called "piggybacking on someone elses connection")?  If you have a router and it's less than about 8 years old, it's also wireless.....even if you are connected via an Ethernet cable.  Any Joe walking down the street with a cell phone/smart phone capable of Internet connections wirelessly can see in a matter of a few seconds if someone has a router not locked down........now he knows where you are and that he can gain access to the Internet using your access (your router).  If that person is one of those a$$ holes that everyone wants banned from SL he's free to do as he pleases................and you suffer the consequences (not him.......he's scott free).

AT&T has a new password modem/router wireless deal where hackers and/or neighbors can't do this any longer, and I'm sure other companies do as well, though would prefer not to say on the internet which one I use.  However, for people with old modem/routers, just call your ISP and ask if you can get one of their new boxes that use a password which keeps the neighbor's children from trying to access your wireless.

ETA:  If someone comes to your house to visit and is on a laptop, just give them your password and then they can use their laptop in your home. 

Wireless routers have had passwords for years.  I can't imagine any ISP furnishing one without password ability, though perhaps the newest one makes it easier to set up, or even makes the password mandatory.  I've only ever used third-party routers, but even the cheap ones have had WPA since the early days.

In fact, the better ones these days automatically have a regular and a guest account, so you needn't give your guests permanent or full access.

No, Not at the present time. He doesnt know why they did it, and with current RL stuff going on in his work he has decided to not bother. It was pretty much a slap in the face that they would automatically ban without asking the other person or even checking with them first especially someone who has been such a long term resident. May be why there's so many people moving off to other grids.

• 3 months later...

:( tried logging on today to find i am banned OMG and i cant think of 1 singel reason why i would be banned i pretty much keep to myself in desperation i found this forum i hope you are right i am re-starting my modum now cross fongers this works. But i really think if LL does ban someone they should send them an email explaining why they have been banned and how long for and you should also have a chance to respond , I mean i am sure there are many people out there who try to get people banned for silly reasons and just to be spiteful

It is this account that is banned? Shelli Teebrook?

If it is, you are not banned, or would not be capable to enter the forums. Maybe your hardware was blacklisted. This can be for someone else using your computer to make something against the TOS (a friend had his computer blocked because his brother made a false account being under aged, before the grid merge).

This can happen too my mistake. My notebook was once blocked, although I could login in SL using the desktop. I opened a ticket/case and the issue was fixed in few hours.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4463 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.