Persistent text spammer - was I griefed? is it a SL glitch? please help solve this one!

Ivan Zadark

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3713 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Something is generating a text message in local chat  every 10-20 seconds.

The "spam" looks like this >> [07:51]   kises18[07:52]   kises11[07:52]   kises12[07:53]   kises13[07:53]   kises14[07:54]   kises15[07:54]   kises16[07:54]   kises17[07:55]   kises18

This started on Oct 12, 2011 at 13:55 SLT. 

I am the only one seeing the text; no one else sees it.

The source is unknown; there is no name; so there is nothing i can R-click on in local chat to mute ths source.

I've tried undeform, blas relog, anti-griefing tools, deactivated gestures, and re-logged to SL.

I use Phoenix viewer. I disabled & detached the client bridge & relogged, cleared cache, and logged in with different viewers.

It's hard to say whether it's an object on the sim or something associated wiht my avatar because (1) when I TP to other sims the problem persists at those sims, but (2) when I do a "test male avatar" which strips all attachments and replaces my avatar with SL default "noob" shape, skin, hair, and eyes it stops.. but when I return to my sim the messages resume.

I and a couple friends have been doing a search on all scripted items on the sim and that has turned up nothing yet.

RLV is disabled. 

Despite all the above efforts,  the problem persists. 

I've submitted a ticket to LL but not sure that will go anywhere.

>>> I logged in this morning and the problem magically disappeared. For which I shan't complain, but it does add another vexing piece to the puzzle. Thanks again to all of you who helped with the idea and with the avatar and sim scans!

7 answers to this question

Start by muting it.  You don't need to see an object to mute it.  Just right click on its name in the chat window and you will have the option to block it (assuming V3 viewer).

Once its muted, you can then take your time finding it and getting rid of it without all the annoying text.

--Cinn

ETA:  What viewer are you using?

ETA2: Did you disable the client bridge before removing it?  If not, it will keep attaching itself.  Go into the phoenix menu and turn it off, then detach and relog.

• Like 1

Hallo, Ivan.

Silly, silly question from me. You say you've teleported out to other sims, but this object is still spamming you, like it's actually attached to your avatar.  Or does this object still carrying on spamming at your sim (ie have you tested with other people - are they able to still see this thing spamming while back at your sim?).  It is possible someone (if you have build-enabled for all group members) has left something behind by accident. I had a similar thing happen with an "Onigokko" device; which I thought I'd only attached to myself, but it had somehow duplicated itself into a chair that was rezzed on my land. 

• Like 2

Hello again, Ivan.  Now it is sounding very much like some kind of device belonging to you that has got something going on, hence why you can't just click on it to stop it.  How odd that it continues to spam you when you teleport away from the sim.  When you came out to meet me inworld, it didn't give me any spam in my local chat.

I am currently in need of RL nourishment, but I will give this more thought and if its still ongoing when I log back into world I'll have another go at finding the source. 

When it spams you, does it also give you a location, something like { 115.174, 53.3912, 47.4118 } ?

I'll catch up with you later. Meantime, stay calm, it sounds like one of those weird SL glitches we all get from time to time.

its a chimera..... its a griefing script that a person can use from anywhere in second life. they dont have to be in the same sim they just need your key..........if you are using firestorm... click on the name whatever it is it might say unknown.....then youll see owner so and soo and given the opportunity to block it.. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3713 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.