Help wanted! questions for renting a land.

AmandaBMCC

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4574 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, everyone.

I'm new to the SL and I want to rent a land.

Hope someone can answer my following questions about renting a land.

Thanks a lot.

1. What does "rental" mean  in second life? someone told me we can't keep other people from entering our land, then why we need to rent?

2. Do we receive and proof or title indicating that we are renting a piece of land?

3. Any privilege we are awarded for the land such as building object on the land?

There isn't much difference between renting and buying land in SL except in buying land you sometimes have to pay for it as well as the first months tier and when you leave you don't get that money back unless you sell it to another resident.

Some rentals allow you to use ban lines or a security orb to keep -people off your property - other forbid it.  There is a difference of opinion among residents of SL about this.  Some think its terrible to restrict access and that ban lines are ugly - Other's don't. That is why there is a choice.  Personally if I am paying for land I want to be able to control who comes on it and would not rent land where ban lines or security orbs are prohibited.

Some rentals will actually transfer the ownership of the land to you but restrict your ability to sell it.  Others don't and you have to join a group in order to rez objects or control media,  Usually the cheap rentals are the ones that make you join he group rather than transfer ownership with restrictions.

If you rent property then this usually means it comes with a house or building on it and you are allowed to rez personal possessions.  If you rent land, this usually means you can build or rez your choice of building on the land within any guidelines specified by the covenant.  However some people who rent land also have an inventory of buildings you can choose from that they will allow you to use at no additional cost.

All rentals have written rules even if the rule says there are no rules.  Sometimes they come on a notecard that you get when you click a rent box for information.  Others put the rules in the land's covenant, which can be found under the covenant tab of 'about land'.  Be sure to read the rules and understand them before paying for anything as most places will not refund any money after you have paid it.  Also be aware that the Covenant always over rules anything in a notecard as the covenant is specified by the Estate Owner, while a notecard could have been written by just a land owner who is renting just a lot and be in conflict with the covenant.  It is the Estate Owner that has final say when there is a conflict.

AmandaBMCC wrote:

1. What does "rental" mean  in second life? someone told me we can't keep other people from entering our land, then why we need to rent?

Rent in SL means you pay another resident for the priviledge of being able to use a piece of land rent at it's most basic level allows you to build on the piece of land you are renting and you personally cannot control land access. taking renting further on a private estate you get more or less the same land management access as owning mainland on a group owned piece of land you get the abilities the group owner has given you for your groyp role

AmandaBMCC wrote:

2. Do we receive and proof or title indicating that we are renting a piece of land?

on the land you will get a rent box which you pay as long as you pay rent weekly or monthly etc that land is yours if you let your rent run out the land owner can kick you out if you have about land management powers you can change the parcel name

AmandaBMCC wrote:

3. Any privilege we are awarded for the land such as building object on the land?

building on the land is the minimum privilege you get it's quite standard for tennants to be able to set parcel media and have TV's and radio's rezzed and working on their property sometimes the land owner is required to rezz any TV's or radios if the renter wants one

Claireschen Hesten wrote:

on the land you will get a rent box which you pay as long as you pay rent weekly or monthly etc that land is yours if you let your rent run out the land owner can
kick you
out if you have about land management powers you can change the parcel name

AmandaBMCC wrote:

I just have to say this...*kicked out*? Not usually before the estate owner has tried to contact you, notecarded you , most "good" landlords I know will also give some grace period, only then...if you dont respond/pay up..they retake your land so someone else can rent it. I dislike *kick out* as it implies some level of underhand behaviour.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4574 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.