Who should be the designer name when saling on a role play sim ?

Laurent Bechir

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3660 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello,

A friend of mine is saling weapons on a roleplay sim with a scripter. She is doing the design, and he is doing the script. She is giving him her creations full perm, and he not only he puts its scripts inside, but he also links the whole thing with a box he has created to have his name as designer. When my friend has asked him why she couldn't be mentionned as creator of the object, the guy has answered that this was the rule on combat sim to prevent copy, and that he had to put himself as creator of the weapons. I don't understand his reasoning. Why having my friend as creator of her object when they are sold on a combat sim would make trouble ? The weapons are sold in the shop of her associate. Could it be the reason ?

I hope I'm posting in the good forum, I did it because it was concerning role play sims :matte-motes-grin:

Thank you

Think of it this way: By passing himself off as the creator, he also volunteers to handle all customer service requests,  inquiries and complaints. If LL nerf a script function and break all weapon scripts, it his him who will drown in IMs from outraged customers.

That's exactly why the creators of full perm building supplies such as sculpt prim kits always include the sculpt maps and encourage their customers to re-assemble the kit using their own, self-rezzed prims. Many also include a scripted rez kit that automatically assembles a linkset using a prim rezzed by the customer/owner. No supplier wants to end up doing customer support for their retailers.

This is something that have been discussed between the two parties as part of their agreement and maybe even in a license she should give him outlining the specific terms of what he can and cannot do with the full perm items she creates. Is this a situation where they worked together as partners or was she hired by the scripter as a sub-contractor to do the prim work?  It makes a difference.

If there really is such a 'rule' as claimed then the scripter should be able to direct her to a notecard giver or something on the sim or an official of the role play sim that is neutral to confirm it.  I wouldn't take his word for it or accept as 'proof' anything that he hands her, as notecards etc can be altered.  I doubt it is a rule as it doesn't make any sense to me. 

She should also be aware that there are tools in SL that changes the name of the creator on full perm prims, so he could be taking credit for it all.  If he isn't changing that and someone clicks on the gun and looks at edit it will be her name instead of his - which is why the 'rule' makes no sense and why she will get IM's about support or where to get the gun from some people.  So, sorry but I beg to differ about the advantage to her with customer service issues.  

I've seen items for sale that are created in partnership with another creator and the boxes, signs and other materials are labeled accordingly.  Does you friend have her own shop and perhaps a logo?  I don't think its unreasonable to have the box show her logo and/or name as co-creator. It could even specify Gun created by: Name , Scripting by: Name.   I've seen this done before.  It would also make it perfectly clear who to contact for which issue.

If I were her, I'd have a sit down with scripter and discuss the exact terms of their entire deal together and put it in writing for the protection of BOTH parties.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3660 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.