Someone locked me in a coffin D:

Tanjee

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4579 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi,

Sorry if this is in the wrong part of the forum...I've been trying to read and learn about this game, as I'm new here :)

Today I was at a merchant shopping area, and it's a place where they give away free hair.  A lot of people camp there waiting for the lucky letter to change.  I was standing there, and I really don't understand what happened, but I believe someone with some kind of combat spells, or something came in a black cloud with boxes floating inside of him, then all these giant green letters came up saying "NOOB" and he'd capture people inside this cloud, impeding their movement.  Then, he did this to me and locked me inside of a coffin that I couldn't get out of for a good 3-5 minutes.  I said, "Stop that", and then I blocked and reported this person.  Then he turned into a white ball and later vanished.  Before I blocked him, I inspected his profile, he'd said that he is "not a nice person".  My questions are:  did I handle this correctly so as to be left alone?  Are there unsafe merchant zones that I shouldn't be entering, and if so how do I tell where it's safe to shop?  Will blocking this person prevent them from greifing me in the future?   Unfortunately after a cpl hours of searching the knowledge base, I can't seem to find specific answers to these questions.  I just want to be left alone and not bothered by mean people, I'm an older woman and like to play with fashions and shopping.  Thanks in advance for your help :)

Second Life isn't Second Life without griefers. You did handle everything correctly, but sadly you will most likely encounter another griefer again.As for the blocking thing, as far as I know that should stop that person.

As for where it happens, mostly sandboxes. Usually, the person has to be able to rez items but I'm sure that isn't the case all the time. Just know that not everyone is like that.

Also, welcome to Second Life!

Thanks for the quick reply :)!  And for the welcome!  I do enjoy SL, and being a long time gamer, I do understand how there are many more kind  gamers than greifers.  Thanks for answering my questions, as I wondered how I could best avoid this type of experience in the future.  Happy gaming! 

I am so sorry that you were treated harshly. Yes, you did the right thing by reporting this griefer. Let me assure you, the vast majority of Second Life residents are really lovely and caring people like those who have replied to this thread. Please do not let this nasty one person put you off.

Hi Tanjee, and welcome to SL.  Sorry you met one of our less savory residents so soon.  Griefers aren't a HUGE problem in most areas of SL (except the sandboxes, as mentioned, and combat sims), but they do happen.  You did the right thing, but here's a couple of tricks in case it happens again:

If someone is pushing you, or bombarding you with objects that are knocking your avatar around, sit on something.  If there's nothing around and you're in an area that allows building, rez a box and sit on that.  (There are third-party viewers that allow you to make your avatar "phantom", which has the same effect.  Objects will pass through you, but you cannot walk.  There are also invisible "vehicles" that you sit on that will allow you to move normally while phantom - either option may be something you want to look at down the line.)

If you get "caged" or trapped in an object (like that coffin), sometimes you can escape with the same sitting on something outside the cage trick.  If not (some cages are scripted to follow an avatar), you can always escape by teleporting out of the sim.

A lot of griefer attacks involve particles.  Too many can slow your viewer way down and even crash you.  If you see a lot flying around, you can turn them off.  In viewer 2 or 3 based viewers, that's found in Me > Preferences > Graphics.  In viewer 1.x based viewers, that's in Edit > Preferences > Graphics

unfortunately blocking them will not likely help with things that impede your movement.

two additional things you can do

1) report the person to the land/shop owner, if they are around they can usually get rid of that person quickly.

2) abuse report the person causing the problem, give the time and as many details as possible, you probably won't get immediate relief, but there are good odds that the person will get banned and that will be one less "not nice" person around.

Tanjee wrote: “[...] I said,
"Stop that"
, and then [...]”

Besides all the good advice that's already been given to you... don't say that to the griefer; actually, don't say anything at all to them. They know they shouldn't do it, that it's annoying; and in fact, that's exactly why they do it.

A good tactic against griefing is to deny them any sign of their attack having any effect at all.

Welcome to SL, Tanjee! 

You've gotten great advice here, and I just wanted to add that your calm reaction to the situation is great...it's more usual to see people post here flipping out about that sort of thing. I very seldom see griefers in shops, as they seem to focus more on sandboxes and welcome areas, so shop where you please and don't worry about this being a common occurence. Enjoy your SL! :smileyhappy:

Void Singer wrote:

I dunno, I kinda disagree on the advice not to say anything.... I would just suggest not showing any
emotional
reaction. there are some that do this sort of thing to see if someone is a bot or AFK, but will only continue if they get a negative reaction.

What would you recommend saying?   Just something like, "Hi, nice shop, isn't it?" and ignoring the other person's attempts to be a nuisance?    I can see the psychology of it in theory, but I'm not sure about how to carry it off in practice.

On of my more entertaining encounters with a griefer like that was in the sandbox at The Particle Lab (the only time I've encountered any trouble there, I hasten to add, and I go there a lot) when this chap had bought himself some sort of super ninja hud and  seemed to want to try out his new mad kung fu skillz on me.     I was using Phoenix at the time, so I simply turned on the option to phantom myself, and carried on tweaking my particle script as if he wasn't there.

Meanwhile he kept on launching attack after attack, clearly completely baffled about why, rather than knocking me to the other side of the sandbox, he was just sailing straight through me and I wasn't noticing him.   

Eventually he gave up, I hope to go and find the hud's maker to fight with him about why it didn't work.

Hi Tanjee. Sorry this happened to you.

All merchants' shops should be safe. It would impede business otherwise.

All sandboxes should be safe also unless it is marked weapon or vehicle testing zone. Then you can expect a little unpredictability.

Would you like some landmarks to places with nice freebies, and that aren't chaotic (of course, anything can happen, but it should be safe.) You don't have to wait for a lucky chair to get freebies, either. 

The thing about griefers is that's what they enjoy, but it's kind of too bad because there's so much more to SL than that.

No it won't block him from griefing you but if you mute him he can't send you anything and you can't see him (just an outline) or read his chat. So that in itself might be a relief for you. What will prevent it more likely is to go other places.

Reporting it is fine but also right click the land and see who owns it. Tell them also. Sometimes they are very glad to know.

This isn't really normal in most parts of Second Life. Griefers tend to go places where 'newbies' might congregate, such as the freebie malls and public sandboxes.  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4579 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.