spamm in Forums

Jaidyn Piers

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4576 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello I just wanted to ask 

every time i log into the forums and i see postings in there about upcoming tv or cable programs being advertised in there and i am not sure if this is against tos or not and if this is against any kinda rules 

what do u think are u sick of going to the forums only to see that there are 3 or 4 postings about shows on tv like pan am whos cares i wanna see stuff about sl and stuff not that if i wanted to know what was on tv i would go to tv guide dot com 

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Forum-fran%C3%A7ais/Watch-Pan-Am-Season-1-Episode-3-Online-Flash-Video/m-p/1156085

Every one IF you see a Forum post that is about Tv shows or any other progam please report it I would spend all hours my self reporting this only i am not being paid as a moderator so if that was the case then i would set here and spend the time to do it so please every one help just find one and click report thanks 

5 answers to this question

At least one moderator knows about it. He threatened me with disciplinary action after I started a thread over there for everyone to report the spam as it popped up. I know I reported at least 70 or 80 posts that night. It seems it clogs up their moderating channels or something.......in other words it annoyed them. I give up. They want to let the forums go to hell in a hand basket, then I'm not going to get in the way. They don't care and it was shown to me in spades with that single PM.

Awwwww.... he's probably right, Peggy. If everyone reports the spam, then we're spamming the moderators. It probably drives them nuts. :D They've actually been pretty good about dealing with spammers recently, unlike in the days of the bargain L$ spammer or our Spanish friend. Anyway, I'm not sure I'd want the job of being the forum's spam monitor at 2 a.m. on a weekend.

Hehehe... Right now he's spamming the Korean forum.  That's not going to disturb me much tonight.  :P

Except that on the main forum page it pushes legitimate threads to page 4 or 5. That's the shame of it. People have good, interesting, informative threads going and they disappear in a matter of a few minutes from the first page. Soon after that the second page and in less than an hour (in some cases) all the way to page 5. Sure the spam is gone the next day but meanwhile the thread people were following is way past relevancy or completely lost. I feel for the mods too but the tone of the PM I recieved was pretty blatant.........."don't bother us. We have better things to do".

I've moderated boards. I know it's not fun when you get attacked like that. But, I volunteered for the job and it was my job to fight back against the spammers. Not complain to the users of the forum because "I had better things to do". I'm not happy about the tone of that PM. I usually have a sense of humor about such things......not this time.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4576 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.