Sign in to follow this  
Flannery Salvadori

This sounds insane - wearing magic box?

I just had a crazy idea. I've never sold anything before so pardon me if this sounds ignorant - but couldn't you wear a magic box on yourself if you had no land?

You could hide it inside your head and keep it fairly small, no?

The magic box needs a static sim location and it needs to be inworld 24/7.  There are probably other reasons why your plan wouldn't work but that's all mote with the upcoming change to an inventory based system. (I assume that's still on track :/ )

--Cinn

Inventory based?
Hmm. I always wondered why second life didn't start off like that.. the whole Magic Box thing seems a little complicated. But it's good they are considering the switch.

Anyway, thank you. :)

The magic box was the creation of XLStreet which was a separate company from Linden Lab (Second Life) until LL bought them out.  Using inventory folders would have been impossible for a third party company to implement. 

--Cinn

You'll see the new system referred to as Direct Delivery. It was to be rolling out last month, but obviously there are some delays.

The Commerce Team is not communicative so I'm not up on where they are in their development process. We may see something this month, but don't hold your breath.

The support for the Direct Delivery has been in the recent region server updates. It is not the Commerce Team's fault if the code had to be rolled back because of other issues such as the script optimization that resulted in scripts running worse and the region performance slowing down. Everything is interconnected. Eventually it will all roll out and remain stable long enough to proceed.

In my own experience, wearing a magic box can work much better than rezzing it in land, but the effect is not sustainable unless you remain logged on.

Also the box says that it thinks it is rezzed on whatever land you were on when you attached it, so if that sim goes down or gets restarted, I wouldn't be certain what to expect.