Foot locking in Blender

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3397 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Okay,

I'm using Jacek's animator.  I want to make an animation where the avatar sways from side to side without moving their feet.  I thought this would be easy, but I can't figure out how lock the feet in place and move the body.  Does anyone have some instructions or locations of instructions for me?

Tyrian

I think there are bad news: it's nearly possible to create such an animation without foot-sliding.

Even if your animation look perfect in Blender - no sliding feet - it will not always work in SL. 

The reason is that animations have the pelvis as root. From here now you rotate the legs. Unfortunately this brings the laws of geometry in: when the legs rotate, the distance the feet move will depend on the length of the legs. 

Means, you might be able to get an anim into SL with nealry no sliding - but if will only work on a particular avatar shape. Shapes with shorter or longer legs will cause foot sliding.

Well, I do not use Blender, but what I would do tho, is create a reference point for each foot. When you move that pelvis, then go back and readjust the legs to match back up to your reference points. You should be able to create this with minimal sliding. Unless the avatars are vastly larger or smaller than your default, any sliding should be non detectable.

• 5 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3397 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.