MacBook Air and Second Life

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4581 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello,

I'm about to buy a MacBook Air with those specifications :

C2D 2x2.13 Ghz

4 Gb RAM

256 Gb SSD

NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 Mb VRAM

Will it works on Second Life ? How it it compared to my actual Macbook Pro 17" 2,33 / ATI X1600 256 Mb / 3gb RAM ?  One argument to buy this laptop would be the weight (17 " is quite heavy :)), and at home I would use it with an old 23" Cinema Display (plastics one :)) or a 20" display, if the 23"  put too much weight on the graphic card.

Thank you

PeterCanessa Oh wrote:

The machine itself should be powerful enough, but that graphics card is a old, weak and low-memory.  You may also have problems with the operating system, because some versions aren't compatible with SL.

That would be my guess -- recently I got rid of my 2009 MacPro and got a new iMac, and the card makes a huge difference (also 16 GB Ram, etc. helps).

I've got a 4 year old regular Macbook and it handles SL very well.

I can be in photoshop, watch a movie, check email, have 2 open browsers and be in SL all at once.

The only thing it has trouble with is shadows.

I'm not sure about the Macbook Air and if you prefer Macs (like I do), I'd go for a macbook pro, that is my next purchase.

Just need to sell a kidney first.

Who needs a Mac when you can have all the weight of a good PC not to mention the infinite variety of hidden settings, malware, frustration and community of pain.  We all share the burden to support the superior machine.  Design, light weight, easy of use is for wimps.  The real PC guy can man up an carry the load.

I've followed your advice and got in touch with Trilobyte who has given me a very interesting advice. As he told me, I shouldn't wait to be able to use maximum settings with this Macbook Air, but I can take still pictures with shadows, which is fine. So, I will go for it, since  my 17" become very heavy for me to carry, and I often need to have it with me. Besides that, I've found it second hand but still under initial warranty (less than one year old, so possibility to take Apple Care) for 950,00 €, which is a fair price compared to the 1450,00 € of the last models.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4581 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.