If there was an RP sim like this...

Knives Sabretooth

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3645 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm wanting to start my own RP sim. I'll buy the sim ect. But I'm curious about what you guys would think of this background for the sim. Basically I want to see if it would be worth me investing my time, and more importantly my money into a sim.

The story:

In 1989 when genetic engineering technology was still in it's infancy a firm known as A.R.C. (Applied Research Corporation) was working hard to develop a mutagenic virus designed to reinforce the human genome and force evolution on human beings. In March of 1993, after years of research and billions of dollars spent, the virus is stolen. Three months later there is a mysterious outbreak of an unknown pathogen in New York City, the virus was loose. Panic ensues and martial law is declared, the entire island of New York City is cordoned off and quarantined. In the aftermath of the initial outbreak the results of the virus are known. Some people were turned into hideous monsters, their deformities ranging from a simple skin color pigmentation change to sprouting eyes from every possible section of their skin. The deformities are varied and many, some look similar but none are ever the exact same. Other people experienced no outward change, but instead did evolve and become, in essence, super humans. Whether horribly mutated or not, everyone effected by the virus gained some kind of super human ability. Anything from shape shifting, to telepathy, telekinesis, to simple super strength or invulnerability. The powers are as varied as the people who now wield them.

Now the year 2022 approaches and New York City is still cordoned off from the rest of the world, no one is allowed in or out but the government officials that are there to "protect" the citizens. On occasion someone who escaped the initial containment, or who is a second generation mutation, is found and brought to the island to "be with their own kind". You are one of these lucky, or not-so-lucky, escapee's who has been brought back to the island and dropped off to fend for yourself.

Welcome to Nameless.

Thoughts behind the story:

I based this story off of a really good book series, without totally ripping it off. But I chose this premise because it allows anyone to have their avatar look any way they desire since their outward appearance is simply a result of the virus. Anyone can come to the sim looking like a full on furry, to a normal human being, to a drow, or demon, angel, whatever. The only catch is, no matter how you look or act you are still going to technically be human under it all. Now while everyone is technically human, as I said before, you don't have to ACT human. You could have a full blown demon AV and claim to be a demon from the eighth circle of hell for all that the story is concerned, but you would still technically be a mortal human, maybe really really freaking hard to kill, but age will get you sometime, maybe.

That's the thing I love about this story, everyone can come and RP whatever they want because in the end, the virus did it.

Now I will be using the DCS2 combat meter HOWEVER it will be OPTIONAL. I also plan to use the meter in a way that no one else has every used it, which should make even the skeptics a little less skeptical. The meter will only be purely about the combat in the sim. Meaning the meter will have NO BEARING ON RP whatsoever. I will however encourage RP fights, it's just that I personally like a fight to be fast, and my combat system will take more than just "button mashing" to win a fight.

Now this will be a dark urban/post apoc RP and the sim build will reflect that. And while I'll be more than happy to rent out anything from apartments to full tiers, any builds have to fit the theme. But, I think that's all for now, what do you guys think?

I forgot about Escape from New York/ L.A. I guess it's somewhat similar. Although as far as build plans go I plan on half of the sim looking like a modern metropolis while the other half looks like the worst kind of slum. Should make for great contrasting scenery and allow for good RP on both sides of the sim.

I like the idea of a city that has been hit by some sort of apocalyptic disaster but the zombie/monster/super humans element takes away from the realism, to me anyway.

An idea I had was to build a huge bunker underground community UNDER a abandoned town or city.

The story would be that a virus had wiped out most people and the survivors had to live in that bunker.

I'd build it to scale 1:1 so you'd have to have your camera close or even first person much of the time and this would make the feeling of claustrophobia even stronger and realistic.

Building but also living in such a communal bunker would be an interesting roleplay sim and if one day people get a bit bored you can always decide the moment is there to go back to the surface and restart civilisation amonst the rubble.

The bunker idea sounds fun and I might build a bunker under the city, but I know from past experiences with some now failed RP sims that a lot of people wouldn't go for that idea. I don't want my sim to be super popular, just would like it to be busy enough that there's always some RP going on no matter the time of day or night. Also the "super powers" is to help me with the DCS2 meter setup I'm working on. I want to break the meter away from the RP, meaning the meter will no longer display a race like current setups do, since technically everyone is human anyways. I want the meter to represent when fists and telekenesis fly and nothing else.

I also like the idea of the malformed people being forced to live in the slums by the pristine people living in the mtropolis while the government watches over everyone. I think it will lead to a three way conflict and allow for a cohesive story to be written by the players. With the exception of the base story and a few large scale RP's by me I intend for the whole story to be entirely player driven.

It sounds like a fun idea... The concept should give a lot of freedom for avatar and character creation. Definitely need more sims like that. And meters will be optional, even for combat? People will be allowed to refuse DCS completely? In that case, it could be worth checking out.

I have been part of a bunker RP project recently .. we build parts of it, had a nice story .. but in the end the cost of it was  too high to justify keeping it up during the lenghly development process. However the number of people expressing interest when told about turned out to be much smaller as the number of actual people showing up.

But then ... all things can be done better the next time around.

And I have to agree with one of the posters above. Having the meter being totally optional would do a lot in making the sim interesting since I am defintevly not the only one who, after reading that a sim uses this or that meter, don't even tp there. Ther seem to be a meter culture and a freeform culture outthere and any RP sim builder might have to decide on which culture to cater to.

I'm getting a Resident Evil (the first movie) meets X-men kind of vibe. Complete with morlocks and superpowers brought on by mutations. Depending how it's done, this could actually be interesting. I like the optional combat meter, since while I have one, I don't use it. (I wear the weapons occasionally, but mostly just as props/costume.)

I can see some issues with the "you can look and act however you want" policy, though. No guidelines could lead to some very strange and difficult to rp with characters. On the other hand, would be nice not to have bunches of restrictions, so this could be worth checking out ^_^ 

I could see the potential for some conflicts, but remember, no matter what anyone says they're still technically a human being under it all. Besides, conflict could lead to fun RP. As long as the conflict doesn't become OOC or personal. I like freedom and I want to give as much as I can to my players. The rules will be simple (RP wise anyways) with some enforced combat rules.

Personally I was tired of RP sims with so many rules or a fixed RP story that you couldn't stray from. While I do plan to have some stories in the sim driven by myself and the management, I refuse to dictate RP to anyone. I can't stand it when and RP is forced on the entire community whether they want it or not.

Just my 2 cents...

People like rules. They like to have a guiding hand. That provides a sense of comfort.

And it also helps new players integrate the existing community.

A new arrival, having a clear set of rules and understanding of what roles he/she can assume, will integrate much faster.

Free form RP sims quickly grow with niche groups and makes it very hard for new players to "wedge" in.

As for the theme. Again, like my argument about rules. I think it's a little too broad a theme, I understand the intention is to allow anyone to just TP in, without having to "dress the part". You can keep that, credit the virus with physical changes of many kinds, but, I would reconsider on the "use" of super powers. Level the playing field, if there are any powers, make it  faster healing for everyone, but that's it.

As a final note, management of a sim, will make or break it. You are in for a lot of hard work and how you deal with people, will make or break your sim. It's a though balance between knowing when to concede and when to take a stand. Again...rules.  :matte-motes-big-grin:

Hi.. The turnover of RP sims is breathtaking in SL .. one closes in Gor alone every day and another opens. The average RP sim I would give 6 weeks for various reasons ..

If you can't afford to pay the tier for at least 5 months without a market support then ..Rp on somebody elses sim .. It's cheeper and more fun..

What really concerns me about your idea is it's complexity.. If you can't descrbe your idea in 3 words then almost nobody will 'get it' (( very sad but true )).. Also unlike EG Gor there are no huge groups to advertise yourt sim in. this is a problem most RP sims face as even fantasy sim are nowhere near as orgabnisied as they could be. Making a unique sim is great but you're on your own.

Cheepest way to test this is to gather group . If you can find 100 people interested enough to join a group then you have a chance .. ( a busy sim needs about 10 000 people who visit a month minimum to remain busy 24 / 7.. top 10 sims have around 50000 unique visitors a month.

If that hasn't put you off ..Good luck :)..

Personaly I wonder why anyone would want to own a sim when you can RP on other sims.. but then again I've launched 8 sims now into 30k plus so I'm a fool to myself lol... ( yes and 2 now in the top 10 )

"People like rules. They like to have a guiding hand. That provides a sense of comfort."

They do ? .. Rules are never read by people who would ignore them and read by people who don't need them.

It's incredbily dificult to NOT write a huge set of rules for  sim but much beyond 'LL terms and conditions will be enforced" ther's no reason for them other than to give bored admin some excuse for flattering their egos.

Write a background story / sim guide .. far less patronising .. your not running a day care center.

First, I didn't say a "huge set of rules". I was commenting on Knives' idea, which, to me, sounds too vague, you called it too complex. I think in a sort of way, we kinda see the same problem, only with different approaches.

And, a background story/ sim guide, looks exactly like what I suggested. Key word here, being "guide".

Last, it's true, only people who don't need guides or rules read them, but if I arrive somewhere and don't see anything, I'll assume you are running an open invitation "come one, come all". And I'll most likely just go on my merry way.

To clarify a bit.

It's not that there wont be any rules, of course there will be, but it wont be an encyclopedia of rules that dictates how your character in the sim breathes. The vast majority of the rules will be related to combat and how it interacts with the RP in the sim.

My goal is to get a balance between rules, and freedom.

I don't expect the sim to be super popular instantly, and I'm willing to put in the time and effort to make people want to stay at the sim and play.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3645 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.