Sign in to follow this  
Villain Baroque

Male shortage - A survey

I have read several times now that there is a supposed "Male shortage" in Second Life. Indeed? Or is that just a perceived shortage? Well, I doubt this shortage because I perceive it otherwise.

Let's find out. This may not be a scientific and academic valid survey but if enough of you participate it will give us something more than just a "feeling".I would like to ask you to post the statistics of a few places your regularily visit here on this forum. 

• Please post only places where you find 10 or more avatars.
  • Don't post results of places that are expressively gender oriented like gay or lesbian places.
  • Don't hesitate to visit places that have been posted by you or others before. Different times may yield different results.

Please use the following structure to make it easier for me to evaluate your posts and put the results back here on the forum.

Name of place:Ahern

SLurl:e.g. http://slurl.com/secondlife/Ahern/100/100/26/

Date:e.g. 2011-05-27

Males counted:10

Females counted:     8

The total number of Avatars counted may be higher than the addidtion of males and females due to transgender and undefinable avatars like robots. 

For a start here are the results of three places I visted:

Name of place:LAR'S
SLurl:http://slurl.com/secondlife/McFarren/223/62/1131
Date:2011-10-06
Males counted:17
Females counted:    16

Name of place:Franks Place Jazz
SLurl:http://slurl.com/secondlife/Franks%20Place%202/189/121/26
Date:2011-10-06
Males counted:15
Females counted:    16

Name of place:Immpresion Club
SLurl:http://slurl.com/secondlife/Chokki/223/191/1498
Males counted:  7
Females counted:    10

Are you talking of a male avatar shortage or a shortage of biologically male SL users? I'm just asking because one has nothing at all to do with the other, and there is no way of gathering reliable data about RL gender.

ETA: In my sim, most visitors are T-girls, herms, or otherwise gender-ambiguous. There are relatively few completely male or female avatars. Among this minority of gender-unambiguous visitors, there are more male than female avatars. However, among the gender-ambiguous majority, feminine traits are a lot more common than masculine traits.

Internet rule 29: On the internet, all women are actually men, and all children are actually FBI agents.

Thus, there is no shortage of males, just a shortage of male avitars.

Good question. I guess the "feeling" that there is a shortage of males means a shortage of RL males with male avatars. As you stated correctly there is no reliable way to know the true RL gender . Let's assume that most male avatars are avatars of RL males. Well, your guess is as good as mine.

Jo Yardley wrote:

In our sim we blame the First World War for the shortage of men.

Where have all the young men gone?

Long time passing

Long time ago

Gone for soldiers every one

When will they ever learn?

Where have all the soldiers gone?

Long time passing

Long time ago

Gone to graveyards every one

Villain Baroque wrote:

I have read several times now that there is a supposed "
Male shortage
" in Second Life. Indeed? Or is that just a perceived shortage? Well, I doubt this shortage because I perceive it otherwise.

I've never experienced a male shortage (that does mean not *enough* males right? ; ) in either RL or SL.   

Celestiall Nightfire wrote:

Villain Baroque wrote:

I have read several times now that there is a supposed "
Male shortage
" in Second Life. Indeed? Or is that just a perceived shortage? Well, I doubt this shortage because I perceive it otherwise.

I've never experienced a male shortage (that
does
mean not *enough* males right? ; ) in either RL or SL.   

Celestiall, I'm glad you admitted to wondering about the meaning of male shortage. I didn't wanna be the first!

;-)

I was thinking the same thing Ishtara. I believe that female avis are a preferred choice over the male ones and so females would "Rule" in Second Life (I like "females rule" better then male shortage).

I also have first hand knowledge of rl males playing as females inworld. The guy who introduced me to sl had not one, but two female avi's so honestly you really should add alts into the ratio as well because alts do spread quickly in sl, like roaches in rl.

In the end it really doesn't matter, does it? I say there is too much to do and explore then worrying about going on a man hunt.

Do you

There are definitely more female avatars in the places I hang out in sl. Many of the female avatars are dancing alone while most of the males are partnered with a female. I think the reason for the predominance of female over male avatars is two-fold:

1. The rl males prefer WoW or other combat sims to sl. I know this is true of my two brothers, who are in their 20s. They scoff at sl for being for "girls."

2. Many of the female avvies have rl guys behind them. I know at least one rl guy who says that having a female avatar is more "fun." I think that in some cases this comes down to a power issue. Guys can't dominate rl women like they would like to so they get off on being "in control" of a female avatar in sl. These are just my observations or opinions, of course, so take them for what they're worth (0).

Jeanne

Maybe you stopped reading too soon? The very next line was:

The total number of Avatars counted may be higher than the addidtion of males and females due to transgender and undefinable avatars like robots. 

Hi, what a farse of a survey. Most guys are focused in the MLB playoffs, college Football, and of course the NFL. So IF it is aguy online in SL Probaby a loser (bigt )ime). Who really wants to pixel sex when there are 3 game five tonight? Huh huh huh?

So it is safe to assum that if it is a guy he live outside the States..Or  He/They have no real sense of what is really significant and that is Football.. So fix the survey get more people to respond and no more crappy slanted polls and state a fact..

Yup

Side comment

".... As you stated correctly there is no reliable way to know the true RL gender "

I think it was said: "data on gender".  

Definately can tell gender, just listen closely for a while.  Girls tend to have a softer approach to life and situations, a special way of putting things if you will.  Every person I've ever gotten to know when we finally chatted using voice in SL, was always a gril. 

LIsten and feel and you'll know :)

LetbeNow wrote:

So it is safe to assum that if it is a guy he live outside the States..Or  He/They have no real sense of what is really significant and that is Football.. 

Maybe there is a shortage of americany guys as well? Hmh, indeed I live outside the USA and I didn't know that football is played in the US :smileywink:

Villain Baroque wrote:

LetbeNow wrote:

So it is safe to assum that if it is a guy he live outside the States..Or  He/They have no real sense of what is really significant and that is Football.. 

Maybe there is a shortage of americany guys as well? Hmh, indeed I live outside the USA and I didn't know that football is played in the US :smileywink:

It isn't. What Americans call 'football' is this very boring, industrial ritual that doesn't even require any aerobic fitness on the part of its costumed participants. Sometimes US children play real football but by the time they're adults typically they're too obese and the best they can do is engage in this strange activity they call 'football,' which is characterized by a few seconds of intense choreographed activity followed by minutes of regrouping while some guy runs off at the mouth about what just happened. What the point of all this is I have yet to figure out. I suppose some guy can explain it to you, tho...

Jeanne

Jaikke wrote:

Side comment

".... As you stated correctly there is no reliable way to know the true RL gender "

I think it was said: "
data
on gender".  

Definately can tell gender, just listen closely for a while.  Girls tend to have a softer approach to life and situations, a special way of putting things if you will.  Every person I've ever gotten to know when we finally chatted using voice in SL, was always a gril. 

LIsten and feel and you'll know
:)

Jaikke , I don't think I can tell and your observations don't lead me to believe you can either. If a male didn't want to be discovered, he wouldn't use voice.

JeanneAnne wrote:

Villain Baroque wrote:

It isn't. What Americans call 'football' is this very boring, industrial ritual that doesn't even require any aerobic fitness on the part of its costumed participants. Sometimes US children play real football but by the time they're adults typically they're too obese and the best they can do is engage in this strange activity they call 'football,' which is characterized by a few seconds of intense choreographed activity followed by minutes of regrouping while some guy runs off at the mouth about what just happened. What the point of all this is I have yet to figure out. I suppose some guy can explain it to you, tho...

Jeanne

It's always good to see newcomers to Second Life who can enjoy the fact that while we're all in one place 'here', we are in many places 'there', and can enjoy the differences between our varied cultures and possibly even poke a bit of fun at them. How nice it would be if they could learn to do it with humor and grace, as did Villain.

Dillon Levenque wrote:

JeanneAnne wrote:

Villain Baroque wrote:

Jeanne

It's always good to see newcomers to Second Life who can enjoy the fact that while we're all in one place 'here', we are in many places 'there', and can enjoy the differences between our varied cultures and possibly even poke a bit of fun at them. How nice it would be if they could learn to do it with humor and grace, as did Villain.

You have finally matured.  You are a PICard just like the rest of us.  ETA: I hope Live Report is available to cover this event!

The prime directive:

(this forum) should become a place where people can confidently play and disagree without being disagreeable... If we are successful then I am sure that we will be able to enjoy ourselves and develop the interest of lurkers and new joiners in participating confidently and comfortably.

Interesting. Very interesting indeed.  

ETA: Now all you need to work on is your "draw."  It would first involve turning your holster forward.  

Storm Clarence wrote:

The prime directive:

(this forum) should become a place where people can confidently play and disagree without being disagreeable

I try not to respond to trolls but now and then one says something so utterly ridiculous I feel compelled to reply. For the person who's done most to sow discord and divisiveness in this forum for the last two or three months—that is, you—to post something like the above takes my breath away.

hmm, i will say this.. the next time i go to the drive thru at the fast food outlet,   when they ask me what i would like, i will type into the microphone, and then make sure i have my furry suit on, so they dont know what gender i actually am..

( its one of the two by the way ) giggles..

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Storm Clarence wrote:

The prime directive:

(this forum) should become a place where people can confidently play and disagree without being disagreeable

I try not to respond to trolls but now and then one says something so utterly ridiculous I feel compelled to reply. For the person who's done most to sow discord and divisiveness in this forum for the last two or three months—that is, you—to post something like the above takes my breath away.

Thank you for responding Dillon.  The above was written a few months ago.  You laughed at these words then.  You need to look a little closer to home for the seeds of discord and divisiveness.  Ask Madelaine maybe she can shed some light, or try Snugs if Madelaine is too busy.