Mow-able Grass?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4569 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

SO I love to create things advancing the secondlife universe. Don't ask why the idea i been playing with, takes a weekly summer chore and turns it into a virtual possibility. It turns out to be quite fun. I also already found many ways to make it quite interactive, because that's the stuff that makes SL enjoyable. So I was just curious what others would say about mow-able grass.

KITILA Cortes wrote:

SO I love to create things advancing the secondlife universe. Don't ask why the idea i been playing with, takes a weekly summer chore and turns it into a virtual possibility. It turns out to be quite fun. I also already found many ways to make it quite interactive, because that's the stuff that makes SL enjoyable. So I was just curious what others would say about mow-able grass.

Interesting idea.  I'm envisioning sales of different styles of lawn mowers, waterers, seeders, different kinds of grass, weed killer chemicals.  Is this even possible though?  Is there a way to script this so the grass actually "grows?"  I suppose there is since the breedables grow up into adults.  I'm intrigued.  The grass would have to look good though so the textures would have to be well done. 

That would be quite easy to script. There are large patches of grass made with a single sculpt prim, which could easily be scaled along the Z axis and moved upwards. The lawnmower object would then whisper a series of messages to the grass item and cause it to gradually shrink back to its original size. You could even add a bunch of pesky particle insects that start to flutter around when the grass grows too high.

It already been created, lol. but in a much performance friendly fashion then what you decribe. Not that is it's a bad design, just better ways are out there now. I look forward to posting more information. I am currently tinkering with it to make it more interactive.

I remember Agent Smith telling Neo in The Matrix how firstly they created a perfect virtual world for humans to exist in, but humans sub-conciously rejected it because we needed the pain, misery and humdrum of life.

Damn you and damn your mowable lawn!  :smileywink:

/me returns to washing his virtual dishes seeing as the virtual dishwasher has stopped working.

yeah, having the same prim and changing the texture it would be easier, just having a grass texture of the max long it will grow, and moving it up on the prim calculating from the last time it was mowed its a great idea!

this idea has a lot of potential.

from having it become dirt, to have particles crickets and sounds, butterflies, to sell the lawnmower, sprinklers, accesories that goes with it.

go for it while its early, you got a lot to gain from this idea.

Jo Yardley wrote:

I love the idea.

Perfect for roleplay sims, it actually COULD be a job someone else does for you for a few lindens
:)

Harnass the power of the noob!
;)

I seem to remember that back in the days of camping that a mopping or scrubing the floor animation was very popular.

There were also some places that had some "R" rated positions available too.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4569 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.