Advice on Character Test and Fingernails

Mayalily

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4584 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Okay, about 2-3 days ago, I was an egg, did character test and rebuilt my avatar in about five minutes.  (First time I ever had to do that, but went okay).

Today, I am an egg again, go to character test, rebuild avatar, but with difficulty.

Once I had most of my avatar rebuilt, if I wanted to layer a particular top, other clothing parts and hair still fly off. 

Now it looks as though I've gotten all the default avatar out of there, but still when I try to layer my top, and especially trying to put on fingernails, still makes almost all things detach from my avatar.

So, 1)  Is there anything else I need to do to get rid of the bugs affecting my avatar?

And 2) Why won't the nails work?  2b)  This morning I noticed my fingernails that I was wearing yesterday were broken off and they will no longer work.

Any advice on what to do here, and why won't my fingernails no longer work?  Also, after character test and rebuilding, why are things still flying off when I try to put something on my avatar?

ETA:  After things kept flying off no matter what I tried, I hit debug avatar textures, logged off, and now I'm posting this to see if there is anything else I can do.

What's worked best for me the fortunately few times I've had to monkey with myself like that is being in a 'quite' place.  I have a home (more like apartment) in an extremely quite sim with no real 'lag' that ever bothers me.  When I've logged on as an egg and appeared in whatever busy place I was at and went through all those step you mentioned, I'd occasionally end up with your result (although I have no fancy fingernails... but that should be on the list huh?).

The only other evidence that my suggestion may help you is that I have a builder friend who has the wackiest avatars and he becomes an egg far more often than anyone I know.  I offered my apartment up to him for his reconstructive surgery and he can fix himself far more quickly and permanently at my place than in the ridiculously busy sandbox we're usually in.

Enjoy some 'low lag' somewhere! ;)

Good Luck!  Fingers Crossed!

Lanas

Hi Lanas,

I did notice more lag in my SL rental home and especially today, but I don't know if it's me, as my avatar got thrown out of my SL house when trying to move the arrow keys and I saw a bunch of breedable horses; it looked like hundreds of them. So you mention lag, could the breedable horses nearby be causing this then?

Anyhow, I'm running my anti-spyware right now (it's showing nothing yet), and I'm keeping my fingers crossed, too!

p.s.  I think the breedables just got moved near us because we had a very low lag sim before, but I think it could be someone has moved breedables near us just very recently then.  Today, in my SL house, it was horrible lag, and today when my avatar was thrown out of the house by trying to move arrow keys, there were hundreds of horses, and I never saw any horses before.

ETA:  Let me IM my landlady and see if she knows anything about these possible breedables that may be causing us nightmares now.  lol  One person's "fun" sounds like another person's nightmare, literally.

Maya, the best thing to do when you login as an 'egg' and do not seem able to rez after a minute or two is to:

1) ensure your inventory is fully loaded

2) log off and relog in a quiet sim such as Pooley (you will land in water but so what)

3) drag and drop a folder from your library of clothing onto your avie (from your library which will give you a new look temporarily)

4) once you have rezzed, rebuild your avie

Rather than use a folder from your library, you can create a folder with shape, hair, skin, etc and drag and drop that folder on you.

Regarding your nails.  I assume you are wearing prim nails.  Just take them off and put them back on and that should resolve it.  Good luck.

BTW, there have been many, many, many of this same type of question answered in the Answers Forum.  Try searching that sometime.

Okay, thanks, Venus.

I've tried taking off and putting back on fingernails, but no go; stuff just flies off that I already put on, and when I try to layer a top, stuff flies off, too.  Not sure what this is in regards to the fingernails and layering?

I'll check the database and see if I can find anything on why stuff keeps flying off even though "false" avatar is now gone.  Or, when I typed in worn to see my avi was wearing, some things from the character test were called invalid avatar, but those are gone now and stuff still keeps flying off.

My first character test rebuild went fine; this one, no, not going well at all, but I think breedables moved in very recently and are definately causing so much lag, can hardly move in my own SL home now. 

I need to finish running my anti-spyware before I can log back on to check some more things.  Scan check is going to need about another 20 mins or so. 

ETA:  When I logged back in, I was a half an avatar.  No hair, no legs at all, no prim skirt.  I rebuilt my avatar, and logged out.  I will have to do more checks tomorrow.  In regards to knowledge base thus far, I need to make a folder copy of my avi.  Well, on V3, copy does not work; for example, I cannot copy my hair or skirts, or mod items, etc, that say make a copy first.  

I noticed some lagmoments and have been the cloud/egg a couple of times this week, while usually I hardly experience problems.

I just think it all has to do with the upgrading and maintenance work that is taking place this week and assume all will be better once this is done, till then I try not to be annoyed too much and just accept it. But oh well, what do I know?

In V3 you can create an outfit.  You do not need to copy anything into a separate folder.  Just click your outfit icon, a box will pop open and you can save your current (what you are wearing) outfit by just giving it a name.  All the items you are wearing (including shape, skin, HUDs) will be saved to that outfit.  No worries about anything being no copy.  Everything in an outfit folder is linked to the folder in which you keep the original item.

Firestorm works the same way.

have you tried a manual cache clear? More often than not, borked avatar issues can be resolved by deleting the cache file off your computer and logging in to a quiet sim and let inventory fully reload itself.

:edit: breedable horses are known lag monsters. let your landlord know as most rental communities don't allow them.

I second the advice to let your landlord know - firmly. Explain the whole situation, as far as the extreme lag goes. Since he/she probably doesn't want to lose renters, and letting the horses stay will lose more people in the long run than kicking out or talking to the one (hopefully) person who has them, he/she will probably be more than willing to address the issue.

For now, find somewhere nice and quiet, and try again. Once you have it fixed (if going somewhere quieter works), try heading back home and seeing what happens.

I think the ongoing maintenance this week may be contributing to this as well, as I have more lag myself right now; but I don't think it's the only factor. Those breedables certainly seem to have something to do with it, as they're recent as far as you know, and known lag monsters besides.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4584 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.