Special Characters In Avatar Display Name

AeroGuardian

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1961 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Searched Google - No Answer.

Searched SL Forums - No Answer.

Sweet & Simple: I've seen a few people running around with special characters in their display names, how can I get in on the party? (Oh keep in mind - They recently changed their display name to have special characters.)

Examples: 

https://my.secondlife.com/ancientxwolfxbeast.titian ϟ Đȼmση Ѡσℓƒ ϟ

https://my.secondlife.com/darkwolf.randt ⒹⒶⓇⓀⓌⓄⓁⒻ

https://my.secondlife.com/fluffy.mode ღ Princess Fluffy ღ

Jesica Dragovar wrote:

use the Character Map in Windows to find them, 
however you really wanna jump on this bandwagon? personally I find the special characters annoying, and makes it hard to address someone by their name in chat

I totally agree. They're obnoxious and difficult to read.

• Like 2

That is actually a great way to do it if you have seen the symbol you want.  Also, if you have a word processor, you can use Insert and select symbols and choose the one you want.  You do have to experiment with fonts to find the symbol you want and make sure it will work in SL.  Create your name in the WP and then copy and paste it into the field you want it in SL.

AeroGuardian wrote:

The problem isn't finding the characters, it's putting them into my display name - I always get a invalid character message.

I just want to place a star on the beginning and end of my name really, nothing fancy.

That's why the web profiles can't even show all Unicode characters you may use for display names. My suggestion is to use normal default ASCII characters or delete one by one all the characters you use till to understand which is(are) not acceptable.

I will agree with all here said that they don't like display names. It is really annoying to meet someone trying to guess with who you speak. Fortunately we have the option to disable them.

Good thoughts from everyone.  I always thought the display names were cute and a fun way to display your nickame...Taylor, my friends call me Tay.  I have a couple of hearts next to my display name which is non-standard, but easy to read letters.  

The more I think about it after reading the opinions here, I may be changing my ideas.  As a club host, I have struggled with some display names, but always have the option to copy and paste in local chat.  I have seen (heard) my DJs struggle with names on mike though.  And the more I think about it, why does someone have a display name that has nothing to do with their user name?  I understand nick names like a shortened (mine) or variation of the user name, or even a nickname like Tamara (Pookey).  But it is odd that someone named John Doe would have a display name of Mike Smith?

Most use the option of displaynames when they get bored of their old name or aren't satisfied with it. Also a lot of good names are already taken, so people may get frustraded and type something silly in the namefield and create a "real" name as a displayname. Same thing for the people who want a lastname, but have a new account with only "resident" behind their name.

Thats why many displaynames are far different from the originalname.

I made my display name after several people stumbled over what to call me. UncommonTruth is a bit of a mouthful lol. Kylan seems to roll off the tounge a little easier. :matte-motes-little-laugh: I didn't use funky letters, I only gave my n a little extra swoosh at the end, cause I like it. I don't think I need a better reason. :matte-motes-smile:

• 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...
3 minutes ago, TempestaStorms said:

I think the person just wanted to know where to get it not all the freakin comments on how you feel about it... just sayin

if that person isn't over it after 6..or even 7 yrs ( yes you reply that late) there is a bigger problem

Edited by Ethan Paslong
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Ethan Paslong said:

if that person isn't over it after 6yrs ( yes you reply that late) there is a bigger problem

Its not even six, but seven years. The original conversation happened in October, it was then dug up a year later and now we are here... with someone berating people in a long dead discussion.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1961 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.