How to Copyright my Script In Secondlife

rachid Spot

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4585 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

2 answers to this question

You copyright it the same way you copyright anything .... just add a note that says "Copyright 2011by Rachid Spot".  If you want to go to the trouble of registering the copyright, you can file a form with the U.S. Library of Congress or its equivalent in your country.    You could also consider using a license notice in your script.  Here's a sample from one of Void Singer's scripts...

/*//-- License Text --//*/ /*// Free to copy, use, modify, distribute, or sell, with attribution. //*/ /*// ©2010 (CC-BY) [ http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0 ] //*/
 /*// Void Singer [ https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/User:Void_Singer ] //*/ /*// All usages must contain a plain text copy of the previous 2 lines. //*/ /*//-- --//*/

None of that prevents anyone from copying your script if you leave it no-mod, of course. And it's always hard to say how little they would have to change it before it was a derivative work, not a copy.  Personally, I rarely worry about any of those things.  Once I write a script and the client has it, I don't worry about it any more.

If you give someone something with copy permissions then ... they can copy it.

If you give someone something with copy and transfer permissions then ... they can give away copies.

If you give someone a script with modify and copy permissions then .. they can see the text it's made of so can just use copy+paste to do anything they want with it.

IF you can show that you included a licence AND your script is sufficiently identifiable that you can prove it's yours THEN file a DMCA claim against the copier with Linden Lab.  LL will then remove the copier's version from SL.  In the normal course of events they'll then file a counter-claim, LL will reinstate their item and you'll have to take them to RL court if you want to continue.  With scripts it's even easier because all the copier has to do is paste in a new copy and start passing it around.

Just say goodbye to that script and forget about it.

In future never give anyone a script with modify permission unless you're just passing-it out for free.  Technically you don't have to make any sort of statement or include any text in order to copyright something, it is automatic.  In practice the text does make it a lot easier to prove your intentions in case someone says "but they said I could share it with everyone/do whatever I wanted with it"

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4585 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.