Shopping and Clubs, is that all there is?

ellerc

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4551 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello all! I am heading into my 2nd month in SL and I'm enjoying it so far. Lately, though, I am becoming increasingly bored with doing the same ol, same ol. Shopping and clubs. Clubs and shopping.

Honestly, I really don't mind the clubs all that much if the music was better. Can't seem to find a club with people that plays music that I'm into - alternative, old school hip hop, singer-songwriter, neo soul stuff - or that that has other people to interact with.

Sadly, my search efforts inworld often lead me to clubs/venues/sims that are empty. Even though the music/environment is perfect - there's no one around. I've found a couple of places that I do enjoy visiting - The Brownstone Cafe and Bassline/Dub Step.  

So I thought I would reach out to the wonderful people of the forum to find cool places to sit in chill, meet interesting people, hear good to decent music and try new things. It doesn't have to be a dance club.

Any suggestions?!

~Elle

Please explore the destination guide! So many parks, awesome landscapes, museums, replicas of RL places you'll probably never get to visit in RL! So many incredible places to discover.... SL is huge, be curious, TP as much as you wish, don'"t be shy in local chat and your SL life will be incredibly rich. No, shopping and clubs are not all. A wide open world is awaiting you. I wish you all the best in your SL life. I've been here for 4years and could not get bored yet. Open your eyes is the key. :smileyhappy:

I'm not sure what timezone you're in, but my absolute favorite place in SL is The Blue Moon Theatre. The have both live music and DJs,(alternative, blues, just a great mix really) as well as plays, comedy sketches and burlesque. Not to mention the amazing group of regulars.

website w/ schedule: http://www.bluemoons.tk/events.html

slurl: secondlife://Feschenko/33/222/26

Another good place for live music is Guthrie's. The official description is folk/country, but it's more singer-songwriter usually, and ranges into blues and rock as well. Some really talented people play there(no backing tracks allowed) & do their original songs as well as covers.

slurl: secondlife://Kissena%20Park/14/199/22

Guthrie's is more active early, like 7to11am SL time, while the Moon's events are more in the 12 to 4pm range, so if I happen to be home sick, I can still have fun all day. lol

I agree about thedestination guide as well. I love visiting some of the RL relicas, like 1920's Berlin, The Chelsea Hotel, etc.

For other activities, have you considered learning to fly an aeroplane or learning to sail in SL ? The experience and skills needed overlap RL if you use planes or boats with realistic scripts, so it's great fun. Both activities are mainly centered around the Blake Sea area of SL, though Balsa - Avia has an excellent flying school http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/BALSA%20INC%20AVEOUSA/172/89/29

Here are some other links

http://www.slflying.net/forum/index.php

http://slsailing.com/

I am totally with the first both. :)

And there are much more sports in SL.

Or maybe you have other interests in RL? Nearly every interest you have in RL you will find in SL too. There are so many discussion and science groups and schools. So much to explore, do and learn. I love the art and science in SL. You can find a lot of bright people here -> RL artists, professors, designers who add to the richness of SL.

I started to teach and own a School. Believe me, not bored at all now hehe. And very amazed what things there are to learn and teach. :)

It can also be another business or interest you can follow. Become a singer or DJ yourself if you like music. I love the life music here in SL. Some artists are really great gems.

I love carnivals and interactive things in SL.  Try Prim Hearts and - does anyone know if the Linden Amusement Park is open yet? In Bay City? Bay City itself is fun to look at too, although it too is mostly shops.

Drag racing. Biking, flying or horseback riding down the Linden highways. Get some freebie vehicles from NCI or buy wearable ones. Shop the 60L weekend sales, lots of fun or goofy stuff every week.

As for dance clubs. Last I looked, Blackhearts and Carnage and Club Underground were still busy.  Don't know if that's what you are looking for. It's going to be mostly popular radio music.  Well, Blackhearts is an 80s club.

October is a great month for Second Life. Residents seem to love Halloween and decorating for it. I've only begun to decorate my land - mostly with pumpkins and harvest symbols - but, a lot of people already have their Haunted Houses out and such. Rides, themes, quests like Bentham Forest.

If you haven't been sky diving yet in SL that's something to try. 

Or just sit on a cube, put 4000 in the height box, stand up and enjoy the scenery on the way down.

Thank you all for the great suggestions. I've been using the destination guide alot - we became acquainted during my first week in SL. I've found some really interesting places through the guide but there's usually no one to interact with once I tp there. Could be the time difference.

I really like the idea of flight lessons and thanks Stella for the tip about the Blue Moon!! I will definitely check into those :)

• 2 weeks later...

I went through this too when I started. Then I aimlessly flew around and stumbled upon an ancient Pompeii house and have been hooked on great builds ever since. Get a car or bike and take off on the linden highway. Search for words that interest you. I'm currently deep in star wars Roleplaying sims and that never gets dull. Sailing is an absolute joy and hanging out at beautiful places like falang is amazing Good luck! If nothing else take classes and learn to build or better yet get some land and start making your dream home.

I too have ran into alot of the bars I like not being open like I really like the set up for the Lush Bar but never seem to find anyone there much. Aslo I love to sit back and relax at the beach at Bora Bora so peaceful and soothing with the music right down to the dolphins and whales jumping. You can also go wind surfing there.

Bora Bora

Snapshot_001.png

Lush Bar

Snapshot_002.png

ellerc wrote:

Hello all! I am heading into my 2nd month in SL and I'm enjoying it so far. Lately, though, I am becoming increasingly bored with doing the same ol, same ol. Shopping and clubs. Clubs and shopping.

Honestly, I really don't mind the clubs all that much if the music was better. Can't seem to find a club with people that plays music that I'm into - alternative, old school hip hop, singer-songwriter, neo soul stuff - or that that has other people to interact with.

Sadly, my search efforts inworld often lead me to clubs/venues/sims that are empty. Even though the music/environment is perfect - there's no one around. I've found a couple of places that I do enjoy visiting - The Brownstone Cafe and Bassline/Dub Step.  

So I thought I would reach out to the wonderful people of the forum to find cool places to sit in chill, meet interesting people, hear good to decent music and try new things. It doesn't have to be a dance club.

Any suggestions?!

~Elle

On V3, when you start the viewer, it offers you immediately some sims that are full of people (meaning you don't have to log into the viewer to see "what's up").

You could download V3, open it, check what's busy and active, and then write down the name of busy sim, and then log into the viewer of your choice, find it in your search and then go visit some of those busy and active places for the time zone you are in.

This is also helpful if you want to visit a place when it's not so busy, such as Oktoberfest, for example.  You might want to go when it's crowded or you might want to go when it's not so crowded.

You're welcome to visit my places, most of which are in my Picks. (And an old shopping spot for the gift for picks, that one isn't mine.)

Next to my beach and changing rooms is the forum cartel hangout which has regular parties with music.

I might have live music one day but I haven't got round to it yet.

For now I have cinemas showing old horror films, and some carnival rides, and blah dee blah.

If there's something you miss in SL you can always make it yourself some day.

Clubs and shops are popular because most people aren't as stupid as I am to pay out of pocket. They want some income.

• 2 weeks later...

When I first started, I would explore by themes, because there's just so much out there. So basically I'd pick a word or theme a day and search that.. like.. burlesque... or.. Chinatown or something.. Then I'd just pop around exploring what was out there for that word. I found loads of interesting places that way, not always with people, but the best conversations and best friends I've met are people I have completely stumbled across in my travels. 

Good luck!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4551 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.