ATTN LIASONS OF SL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4579 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ahern has very Fowl Languaged people on Voice and in Text chat. They Were reported but nothing has been done about it. 

Ahern is a PG area and they dont seem to care what so ever.  I am a Second Life mentor trying to do my Job but you cant when you have Fowl Languaged people harrassing you and calling you Fowl names. its innaproiate and immature.

Please Please do something about it

thank you.

You're have to be brave to venture into the "welcome areas".  When there were REAL mentors, with authority, the places were still mayhem because it's all newbs.  To go there without any official role you need to put-on a double-thick skin and just ignore all that sort of thing.

Help those who will be helped, leave the rest to it.  If you don't like it enough to stay and help then go and offer your services somewhere less awful.  You'll be more appreciated there.

Whenever I Introduce anyone to SL, the first piece of advice I give them is to get away, and stay away from Ahern and ALL the other "Welcome" areas. I've been in SL for over six years now, and they haven't been fit for civilized interactions for at least five and a half of those years. They are now gathering places for Con Artists, Griefers, and the Socially Stunted of SL.

It seems the Lindens have long since abandoned the welcome areas to these elements, and no longer know or care what first impressions these areas make on new SL residents.

IMO the Lindens should either restore active policing of these areas, or dismantle them.

Angel.

This is a resident forum for discussion not a Linden point of contact.  If you have particular resident(s) violating the TOS you can submit an AR.  There is no mentor group anymore that is recognized by LL; so likely working through your group will change little ( I was a SL mentor for several years and the program was disbanded). Filing abuse reports is proably your best option.  You will not know what action is taken, if any on reports; LL keeps this confidential...for the record if you do make a report, it is "foul language", "Fowl" is any sort of bird.  It is nice to know some people are still out helping new residents, the landing zones for new residents have always been horrid spots.

Harley Hynes wrote:

Ahern has very Fowl Languaged people on Voice and in Text chat. They Were reported but nothing has been done about it. 

Ahern is a PG area and they dont seem to care what so ever.  I am a Second Life mentor trying to do my Job but you cant when you have Fowl Languaged people harrassing you and calling you Fowl names. its innaproiate and immature.

Please Please do something about it

thank you.

Yeah, Ahern on voice is a free for all. Bullying goes on too.

The avs and text chat are also often not PG to say the least.

I thought they got rid of SL Mentors?

Qie Niangao wrote:

PeterCanessa Oh wrote:

...  When there were REAL mentors,
with authority
, ...

But was that
ever
the case?  Did official Mentors have any authority to respond with Freeze / Eject / Ban, etc., on Linden land?  Or is this about some other sort of authority?

If any SL Mentors ever had that authority, I was not one of them.

@ Qie/Venus - I was going to put power (eject/freeze) originally but thought that probably wasn't the case.  There was a greater probability that you might get the attention of someone with power, even if you didn't have it yourself.  In any case, being authorised by Linden Lab, you had full authority to police the place in some way, even if you had no independent ability to enforce your authority. :-)

@ Madman - what "right to say anything"?  That's just crazy talk, people will think you're mad!

Re "authority": Got it.

You know, across the street, somebody observed that share of new residents retained is now at an all-time low.  For all the new sign-ups who are trying SL, we're within rounding error of retaining nobody at all.

The Lab must do something else, and soon, to make some headway on retention.  The approach of trying to get newbies off to appealing Destinations right away simply isn't working.  That's not to say it's the wrong approach, but it's not enough.  It also appears that Basic Mode was a bust and is being phased out.

I'm not convinced that re-establishing something like Mentors (perhaps within the rubric of the Resident Help Network) is necessarily the solution.  Frankly, they've so starved us of useful statistics that it's nearly impossible to know what to suggest. But something needs to be done, like immediately, because every improvement in initial login count that is not accompanied by retention amounts to building up an Internet "herd immunity" to Second Life.

Do you mean that free, unlimited, unrestricted, disposable, anonymous accounts with only one name space (lllarry222333zxzx) didn't increase the resident population? Do you mean that there seem to be fewer paying customers while at the same time places like Ahern have degenerated even further into griefing? Gee, I wonder what went wrong?

Yeah, but disposable accounts have been around for over five years now, and I'm unable to devise a story to explain why Display Names should make much difference one way or the other.  (I'm not defending display names, at least not intentionally; I just don't see that they made things appreciably worse, other than the wasted opportunity cost of getting the d*mned things to work, for modest values of "work".)

So I think other things account for the dramatic failure of attempts to increase concurrency.  I mention it in this thread because I do think that being exposed to the depressing mindlessness of InfoHub denizens--with or without actual griefing--can't be helping.  But the thing is, recent initiatives increasingly steer new residents away from InfoHubs, basically abandoning them to their current population of losers, which one would expect to benefit by keeping those losers occupied and separate from new residents, limiting the damage they can do.

I would have thought that this would be the right general direction to be taking: funneling newbies into areas with content and other residents matching their interests.  I really don't know why it isn't working.

If you going to work the pits of SL then is not easy k.

Best to forget about the AR button.Start using it and you end up acting and thinking like you the police or something.

Places like Ahern, Waterhead, Korea1 and Violet are rowdy. They like the RL pub on Friday after work.

If you want to survive them then have to be like the Sally lady. Just help the young ones (the newbies) and leave the sinners and heathens to anothers tender mercy (:

It is difficult to think of anything Linden Lab has done right in the past five years, other than:

• Windlight
  • the new, Lithium-based fora
  • technical improvements to the infrastructure

I suppose getting rid of that awkward age-verification system would count as a success if not for the fact that the current solution of a disclaimer was proposed (and ignored) five years ago! As for mesh, if Ishtara is correct, the current version of mesh for SL is structurally flawed. As for the viewer, it would be a kindness to call the current situation a Tower of Babble. To be honest, I am amazed at the resilience of SL in spite of Linden Lab's borderline sabotage of its own product.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4579 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.