have a COPY + TRANSFER object. Each time I take back into inventory, LL turn off COPY perm

Domitan Redenblack

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4578 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Basically speaking, that can be caused by "next owner permissions" on 3 levels: product box permissions, product permissions inself, and content permissions inside of the product, and you can see them differently in your inventory, and when they are rezzed. Also, it takes a while for the system to update those data. See what instance is giving you trouble, maybe it's just creators mistake.

Parasite Palen wrote: Would there happen to be a No Copy script or object inside it by any chance?

There is a script inside, plus two full perm textures, plus a notecard.

For the Next Owner:

1. The script I want "no view" and "no copy into inventory" etc. That script is to stay put, and not be viewable.

2. The textures are full perm, don't mind about them.

3. The notecard is the agent's name, and this notecard should not be viewable or changeable.

- I want to give the object to people.

- They may make as many copies as they like, and

- they can give the object to others as well,

- but they may Not Modify the object or remove/view the script or notecard.

So:

A) What permissions for the object's next owner in my inventory, before I pass it on to next owner?

B) What permissions for the object's next owner when I have it rezzed on the ground?

C) What permissions for the object script's next owner when rezzed on the ground?

D) What permissions for the object notecard's next owner when rezzed on the ground?

E) Also, "Allow Anyone to Copy" - does this have the same results as the current owner giving a copy to someone?

It's very confusing about copy for an object and no-copy for contents, where the object *can* be copied, etc etc. Also having the contents be viewable or not, etc.

What we need is a matrix of all possible combinations of perms for Object and Contents items, which explains the end results for the next owner. *(I believe this would be 7 x 7, since no permissions is not allowed by LL)

Thanks

It is confusing.  Even when I'm fairly confident that I understand, I do some empirical tests with my alt to be sure.  I find that it is also very helpful to have activated debug permissions so that I can see more detail about which permissions have actually been set and which ones are "pending" (with a * next to them).  The general rules are (a) set permissions from the inside out --- that is, things in object contents before the objects themselves -- and (b) set object permissions on rezzed items, not on items in your inventory or in the contents of other objects.  The truly confusing thing is that if you follow those rules, the permissions that display when you have an object back in your inventory can be totally misleading.  They will show you what the most restrictive permissions are on anything in the object.  That's why I never believe that I have done the job right until I have tried to pass my objects back and forth with an alt and have tested all possible ways to break the permissions that I think I have set.

ETA:  Almost forgot ... my gut says that you ought to set the script and the notecard to no-mod, no-copy while they are in your inventory, then transfer them to your rezzed object and set it to full perm.  I can't get in world to test that, though.

Rolig, thanks. As always, clear and lucid help.

Even having been in SL two years, I find the effect of contents' permissions on objects to be confusing, so do 95% of the "advanced residents" I speak with. Even those with Vendors for years struggle.

To me, it seems like a perfect opportunity to build a little "Perm-o-matic" machine where you tick the boxes of what permissions you want next owner to have, and it tells you how to set the perms of the object and it's contents.

Sound good? Possible to do?

Rolig Loon wrote: Almost forgot ... my gut says that you ought to set the script and the notecard to no-mod, no-copy while they are in your inventory, then transfer them to your rezzed object and set
it
to full perm.  I can't get in world to test that, though.

"my gut says" -  *lol* This only emphasizes the need for such a Perm-o-matic!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4578 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.