Sign in to follow this  

Is it ever too soon to say I love you?

When it comes to dating some people say there are rules while others even claim they found a system. The one thing they have in common is they say don't say “I Love You” too soon, don't say it first. What if you lose out on love because you are too busy following the rules and not living in the moment? What if someone else comes along and tells the person you love that they love them? Is two weeks too soon?

holding-hands1.jpg

I am talking about the magic love that hits you like this song.

It it never too soon to say I Love You, as long as you mean it. It definitely could be too late, and it could also be way inappropriate if you don't mean it and they don't want to hear it. If you mean it and they don't want to hear it, well, that's life.

Is two weeks too soon? I think I'd known my husband a little less than that the first time he said it and we'll have our 15th anniversary this year. Never too soon and never too late as long as it's what you really feel.

Many years ago, a strange woman followed one of my girls home (She was Curious about me from my girl's descriptions of me). There was a Sadness to her, as well as a Sharpish, Distrusting edge. We talked, and she spent time in our Home that day,, But when it came time in her estimation to leave, I asked her to Stay. There were no hearts and Flowers in our conversation,,No magical Love songs,,All i Knew was, I wanted her to Stay. Not just that day, But for as long as i could keep her.

I Knew I needed her.

We were together for several months, when i asked her to marry me (Marriage being something i swore i would never do again for reasons too long and complicated to log here). She was shocked, But she said Yes. Over the years we've had our Ups and downs, Our fights, and our good times. I simply Can't Imagine life without her.

I may not have said "I love you" on that First afternoon, But it would have been as true then as it is Now.

I Love you my Ikuko, I have from the Moment we met, and i will long after i draw my last breath.

Keli, ma chere, It's NEVER too soon, as long as it's true.

Angel

I think if you know its true, say it already! If you dont know, dont say it. I like you alot, or, I think I could fall in love with you, those tell someone you have feelings for them, without promising somthing you dont have for them, if you dont have it. I dont think there is a set time frame. I dont think love at first sight exists, because to many times that perfect man (or woman) opens their mouth and proves perfect isnt real after all. Love at first conversation? I think that could happen.

edit to add- Omgosh Awwwwwww to the post above me

Keli Kyrie wrote:

Is two weeks too soon?

You're ready to say it, but is your lover ready to hear it?

Some dogs are skittish. If you reach out too soon and try to pet them, you will startle them and they will run away or maybe even snap at you. You have to give them space and wait for them to reach out to you. Others run up to you and immediately start sniffing your crotch. What kind of dog is your lover?

I've never been a fan of "I love you"s. I didn't hear them around the house growing up. I didn't need to. They were in evidence everywhere. I like it that way.

There eventually comes a time when you want to but a bow on it, but make sure there's something inside the box before you do.

These are words that were never spoken in my family. Love was obvious and needless to be said. But for not knowing how to say 'I love you' soon enough to a man I adored, it's been indeed too late. That was 15 years ago and I still regret I was speechless at that time. I have learnt my lesson: I do say my love to my dearest friends now. Before it is too late again.

It's just

something that

guys say to have sex.

So you

can't say it too

soon.

Rudi

The

problem comes when she wants to

hear it

afterwards, and you just want to go to

sleep.

The OP restricts the question of uttering 'I love you' to dating someone however love comes in many flavors.  I love my friends, I love my ex (in a different way), I love the cacophony of a city, I love the first cold snap and seeing my breath in the air.

In context, there is no right time.  It is when it is heartfelt and true.  It is risky to be the first to say it but if the relationship is important, meaningful, and worth growing and enduring, say it.  You never know what tomorrow will bring.

Ian Undercroft wrote:

it 
is

as
 perennial 
as
 the gr
as
s.I agree with Rudolph. If the words will secure another notch on the SL bed-post, the sooner they're said, the better.

Never feign affection nor be cynical about love, for the in face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass. Each time it is as fulfilling, as refreshing, and as perfect as it was the last time. If you want to be happy, love someone.

ps: If it ends and often it does, don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.

Randall Ahren wrote:

Ian Undercroft wrote:

it 
is

as
 perennial 
as
 the gr
as
s.I agree with Rudolph. If the words will secure another notch on the SL bed-post, the sooner they're said, the better.

Never feign affection nor be cynical about love, for the in face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass.
Each time it is as fulfilling, as refreshing, and as perfect as it was the last time. If you want to be happy, love someone.

ps: If it ends and often it does, don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.

At least attribute your quote.  Desiderata by Max Ehrmann (1927)

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

It it never too soon to say I Love You, as long as you mean it.

Oh yes it is. For the same reasons that people start maturing emotionally at different stages in their life, so do people recognize that what they're feeling is love (as it's defined by *them*) at different stages in a relationship. Everyone is different, and unless you wait until it's definitely within the realm of both people recognizing it as being love, you run the risk of dropping a bomb that was completely unexpected. The last thing one wants is to have their heartfelt feelings for someone else be recognized as being a complication or burden.

Ian Undercroft wrote:

I agree with Rudolph. If the words will secure another notch on the
SL
bed-post, the sooner they're said, the better.

Oh in SL. Well that's a little different. I say it to my friends and mean it. Otherwise, I'm out of that one.

It's not a direct quote. It's a paraphrase of a couple of sentences from an essay entitled Perrenial as the Grass at Writers Blend, which I suppose is a blend from many different sources including Desiderta:

Love may elude you once but it will beckon you again. Do not be cynical about love for it is as perennial as the grass. It can happen to anyone, at any time and many times. And every time it is as fulfilling, as refreshing, as perfect as it was the last time. You will love the rose, the jasmine, the wild flower and many more cause love is perennial and perpetual.

The post script is a quote attributed mostly as an anonymous proverb, but sometimes to Dr. Seuss or in Spanish to Gabriel García Márquez:

Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened or no llores porque ya se terminó... sonríe, porque sucedió.

Within the context of a romantic relationship, it's definitely possible to jump the gun. 

When you first meet someone with whom you instantly have a connection, it's not hard to get carried away... especially if you have a good feeling, by the way they behave, that they're feeling it too.  The problem with that is that the feelings this person is evoking within you are based more on the fireworks going off inside your head, than the deeper connection between two people that is required to be able to call it love.  I call it infatuation... which some would say is a form of love, but, for me, there needs to be more.

I see saying I love you right off the bat as a sign of either desperation, loneliness, insecurity or emotional immaturity... and quite possibly a combination of all of the above.  It's clearly a red flag, as far as I'm concerned... how do I know this person doesn't latch onto everyone they date just as quickly?  I'd want to be sure that I was really the cause of their feelings and not just some unfulfilled need in them, like a hole inside themselves they're using me to plug.  No thanks.

...Dres (Though, I have to say, plugging holes in general is not necessarily such a bad thing. :matte-motes-silly:)

Keli Kyrie wrote:

When it comes to dating some people say there are
while others even claim they found a
The one thing they have in common is they say don't say “I Love You” too soon, don't say it first. What if you lose out on love because you are too busy following the rules and not living in the moment? What if someone else comes along and tells the person you love that they love them? Is two weeks too soon?

Personally, I don't like rules & I don't like systems.

Follow your heart, I say, and say & do what comes natural.

Jeanne

Well, the important thing in my opinion is: Do you really mean it? If you love somebody, those are the sweetest words to tell him or her. Yes, there is true love in Second Life and I have met many people here in relationships that lasts for several years already. On the other hand, I met many people who change their partners almost weekly. 

Saying "I love you" is a decision of the heart not of the mind. If you really feel it, say it and don't try to rationalize about it. So when you feel like saying it, that's the right time, neither too soon nor too late.