IM messages

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3548 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

4 answers to this question

Your viewer is capable of logging your IM messages.  I believe the setting is on by default.  Assuming you are using LL Viewer 2/3 go to Me - Preferences - Privacy.  Hopefully you will find that Save IM logs on my computer is checked.  If so, you will also find on that page the Location of logs.  Go to that location and you will see a text file for each person or group you have had an IM with.  The name of the file will be the name of the person or group.  Looking at those should help you remember the person.

--Cinn

You may try to retrieve your IM with your friend here, assuming you'll recognize his name when you see it. :smileywink:

Logging chat and instant messages

Have you ever wanted to go back and re-read an old conversation, or post a meeting transcript to a wiki or web page? By default, the Second Life Viewer keeps all text chat in a file called the chat log file. You can change how and where the Viewer saves chat logs in the Privacy tab of the PREFERENCES window: choose Me > Preferences or press Ctrl-P. Click the window's help button for more details.

Chat and IM logs

If you have chat or IM logging enabled, Second Life will automatically save your conversations to your hard drive. By default, the Viewer saves chat logs to a standard location on your hard drive that depends on your operating system. For example, where Username is your system user name and Avatarname is your Second Life account or display name:

• Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\SecondLife\Avatarname\chat.txt
  • Windows 7 and Vista: C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\chat.txt
  • Mac OSX: Users/Username/Library/Application Support/SecondLife/Avatarname/chat.txt
32px-KBcaution.png Important: You may need to enable your file browser's ability to view hidden files in order to access your chat logs at their default location. Be very careful when accessing hidden system files; they are usually hidden so you can't change or delete them by accident! If you need to access your chat logs often, use the instructions below to relocate them to a more accessible folder.

To change or view the chat log file location:

1. Choose Me > Preferences on the menu bar.
  2. Choose the Privacy tab.
  3. The Location of logs field shows the path to the chat log file. Click Browse to change the location.

• Like 1
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3548 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.