Can't install SL viewer on Ubuntu desktop 11.04

Belinda Saxondale

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4312 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello,

I have a Dell Vostro 460

Intel Core i5 processor

2GB Memory

My video graphics are generated with Intel(R) HD Graphics family.

I am trying to install the second life viewer on my pc that has Ubuntu desktop 11.04

I  downloaded the secondlife tarball to my Download directory.

I have unzipped it 

According to the readme file I have to:

cd  SecondLife-i686-3.0.0.238864

./second life

What happens is the screen flashes as though it is trying to start but immediately crashes.

Can somebody advise me how to proceed please?

It sounds like you don't have graphics drivers installed. That is, if that GPU is supported. I'm more familiar with Linux mint, but see if you have a "additional drivers" option on the admisitration menu. If a driver for your grahics chip does not show up there, it simply may not be supported. You may also want to try intel's site, see if you can find linux drivers.

Good luck.

Thank you for your reply I think your right.

Ubuntu does not appear to have a package for the drivers I want at the moment.

There are some on Intels website but you have to recompile them and that sounds a bit difficult to me.

Fortunately my system is duel boot so I can get on to second Life via windows 7.

I shall wait until ubuntu produces a package for the drivers and install them then.

Hi Belinda,

I dont have your graphic card, but it really is strange ubuntu does not support it. There appears to be a PPA for Ubuntu, which you may want to try:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1728526

(the XORG Edgers bit)  This might help you.

It would be interesting to know, if you are happy with sl performance and that graphic card.

Can you run high details and shadows in highly graphical sims on Windows 7?

• 8 months later...

I have ran the second life viewer and also other third party viewers from Linux Ubuntu and now linux Mint. However the way I found to do it is a bit 'different'. I downloaded the file, opened it with the archive manager into my downloads directory. Then I right clicked the file and extracted into its own folder inside the download directory. Then I looked inside the folder and I found the file named 'secondlife' I then right clicked it and chose to 'run' the file.  To make it easier in the future (since it doesnt automatically install into the software menu this way) I also right clicked the file and chose to make a shortcut, then I right clicked the shortcut and sent it to my desktop. So now I just click the shortcut on my desktop to run the Second Life viewer. I did this with Ubuntu Linux versions 10 - 12 and also today I installed Mint Linux 13 (Mate desktop) and it worked on Mint Linux also. I have successful operated both the Second Life Viewer and Phoenix Firestorm viewer today from Mint Linux, I have several different third party viewers setup on the Ubuntu machine that work very well this way. Typically in a third party viewer the file you will want to 'run' will be named the name of the viewer such as 'Firestorm'.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4312 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.