How do you Build? How do you create scripts? How do you create textures/skins? How do you sculpt?

E1ghteen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4587 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I want to feel as though I have purpose in the virtual community. In order to do so, I ask you wonderful residents to give me some advice, or a collosal amount of information about programs, video tutorials, etc. Maybe even a ventrillo. Please don't link me to the Second Life wiki, because I find it to be insufficient. :/

P.S. I'm distracted to Steve Wilkos Show. I'm mesmerized... o.o

4 answers to this question

For all those skills, you need teachers and the best place to find teachers is inworld in - (gasp) SCHOOLS.

There are still a variety of schools where you can learn, most often for free. They teach most of the things you might want to know. One of the most popular and longest running is NCI (New Citizens Incorporated) http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Kuula/55/168/29 and.

You can also search for classes under EVENTS in the search panel. There you can see what is being taught in world by various schools and private teachers.

There is a steep learning curve in SL, but once you get the hang of it I think you will enjoy learning all there is to learn.

• Like 1

The SL wiki is by far your best reference.  It's where you will find links to all sorts of tutorials and basic information.  Start with

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Creation_Portal  , where you will find links to building, texturing, animation, and many other skills.

For scripting, start at http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LSL_Portal , where you will find similar links to tutorials and our "bible" for LSL  syntax.

• Like 1

Since you don't seem to want to read a wiki, although there is a lot there, you should go to a public sandbox and just start putting out cubes by using the "create" tool and seeing how it works and practicing and experimenting and learning from others in the sandbox.

And go to Builder's Brewery and Ivory Tower of Prims

The best in world building resource I know is The Ivory Tower Library of Primitives.  It has a whole series of walk-through, hands on tutorials that explore the building tools.

There is a similar self-paced set of tutorials for particles.  If I recall, it's called The Particle Laboratory.

For scripting, there is the College of Scripting and Music.  However, if I recall, they sell you "books" about scripting.  Not free like the previous two.  The scripting forum is a good place to go for answers to specific problems.

Skins, clothing, and in fact all textures are made outside of SL.  I use Photoshop, but others use the GIMP (free) or a paint program of their choice.  For skins in particular, the best bet is to download some of the full perm skin textures and templates, and start customizing them.  Eloh Eliot has released full perm skin textures.  Chip Midnight (among others) has good free skin and clothing templates.  For general Photoshop tutorials, your best bet is to search the web or your bookstore, rather than in world.

For all these creative aspects of SL, the best teacher is still experience.  Take time to experiment with the tools.  The classes and tutorials help, by giving you motivation, short term goals, and step by step advice.  But you have to DO IT.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4587 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.