Jump to content

whats wrong with me?!


KellyFitz10
 Share

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3642 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

I've only been using second life for a little while now (about a month), but I have found how easy it is to make friends on here. But is anyone else feeling like bc maybe you made your avatar a better version of you (like i did), that you cant live up to the standards you created for yourself? Like it's kind of depressing knowing I've made all these male suitors on SL, but it's never going to happen offline, IRL? If yes, can you tell me what you did to stop the problem? Like it's kinda depressing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is funny to see how differently people respond when you can control your outward appearance as easily as we can in SL. I wouldn't say it's depressing, but I do sometimes look at my av and envy her legs or her wardrobe. I don't envy her the IM's for teh sexxors from random drooling strangers though. I don't think my av's appearance matters to anyone on my friends list though, so in the longrun, it's what's behind your av that really appeals to others.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


KellyFitz10 wrote:

If yes, can you tell me what you did to stop the problem?

I'm afraid one can't do anything about that. Just live a happy second life. Or settle for less in RL. Many lonely and desperate people out there.

ETA: What can really build self-esteem is to publish an X-rated video on a site like XTube and watch the comments rolling in. You'll be amazed how many compliments you get.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Void Singer wrote:

sure, there's an easy solution to to dealing with RL not living up to SL expectations.... simply make your avatar less attractive than the RL you...

I wonder if even this is enough. What if SL's population is more desirous of meeting others than the RL general population? If you socialize SL, but not RL, I'd expect the results to be skewed even if the avatars weren't.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


KellyFitz10 wrote:

I've only been using second life for a little while now (about a month), but I have found how easy it is to make friends on here. But is anyone else feeling like bc maybe you made your avatar a better version of you (like i did), that you cant live up to the standards you created for yourself? Like it's kind of depressing knowing I've made all these male suitors on SL, but it's never going to happen offline, IRL? If yes, can you tell me what you did to stop the problem? Like it's kinda depressing.

Make your avatar really revolting, then when you log out and look in the mirror, you'll think, "Well, hello there, hottie!"

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Carole Franizzi wrote:


KellyFitz10 wrote:

I've only been using second life for a little while now (about a month), but I have found how easy it is to make friends on here. But is anyone else feeling like bc maybe you made your avatar a better version of you (like i did), that you cant live up to the standards you created for yourself? Like it's kind of depressing knowing I've made all these male suitors on SL, but it's never going to happen offline, IRL? If yes, can you tell me what you did to stop the problem? Like it's kinda depressing.

Make your avatar really revolting, then when you log out and look in the mirror, you'll think, "Well, hello there, hottie!"

 

 

ROFL, Carole!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Carole....*smiley sigh*.

I am a barbie in SL. A stylish, always in white one though I'll have you know! I do find the whole looks thing funny though.

I have been asked  not to wear wings, because...why are you wearing wings? 

Ermmm....why not? Who wouldn't want super-pretty working wings? DUH!

Obviously, Carole fell through the fugly tree onto a bed of nails, but she is still beautiful.

SL is a deceitful and hurt inducing weapon of choice as a dating site. There are too many ways not to be yourself. That's the idea. It's a SECOND life, not an extension of the first. People roleplay romance here. They lie about themselves, they have five husbands/wives and none of them know about the others....I could go on.

Use plentyoffish or something to find a kindred spirit and treat SL for what it is. A creative playground and a really good laugh.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Kylie Jaxxon wrote:


Carole Franizzi wrote:


KellyFitz10 wrote:

I've only been using second life for a little while now (about a month), but I have found how easy it is to make friends on here. But is anyone else feeling like bc maybe you made your avatar a better version of you (like i did), that you cant live up to the standards you created for yourself? Like it's kind of depressing knowing I've made all these male suitors on SL, but it's never going to happen offline, IRL? If yes, can you tell me what you did to stop the problem? Like it's kinda depressing.

Make your avatar really revolting, then when you log out and look in the mirror, you'll think, "Well, hello there, hottie!"

 

 

ROFL, Carole!!!

recent photo of me in RL: :matte-motes-kiss:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Most of the perception people will have of you in RL (and to an extent internet life as well) isn't even about your looks. Its confidence, the way you carry yourself, interact with people. Your statement that it will never happen in RL is a self fulfilling prophecy. I'm no super model in real, most of us aren't,  but I've never had a shortage of willing males lol. (ok, that didn't sound right, but can't think of a way that does, so oh well)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just lately I've been feeling the exact same thing. I realised it might be developing into an unhealthy issue just a week ago when I caught myself in the mirror and was mildly surprised my avatar wasn't looking back at me! I pondered this for a while and even took a step back from SL to try and figure out the psychology here. In RL, I'm not fugly but I'm certainly nothing special and I struggle to feel attractive at the best of times. However, my avatar seems to have developed into a sleek, sexy temptress over the months and when I really give it some thought, it makes sense that she looks how I want to look. She dresses how I would never dare dress in RL and she's cheeky and provocative in chat in a way that makes me squirm at the thought of being in RL. Having said all of that, she did help me to realise a few home-truths about myself. If this is the 'ideal me' then why not imitate it if I'm obviously not 100% happy with the way I am now?

On that note, I've started wearing little skirts like my avatar and popping on more makeup when I go out, and I even flirt a bit more and it's actually boosted my confidence to the point where I pulled at the weekend :D I'm not gonna kiss and tell but I do have SL to thank for that!

I think it's all in the way you look at it - you can look at your avatar and get upset that SL isn't RL, or you can swing it around and pop a little SL into your RL!

Remember, men dig confidence for the best part, put a Barbie lookalike in front of them and most would turn it down :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

'Be' in SL as you wish.  Enjoy your environment.  Eventually you may feel like learning something: building, photography, landscaping...whatever suits your creative juices.  One month is a short time.  Be patient with yourself.  Chances are some of those you are meeting bear little resemblance to their RL selves, and so what?

Link to comment
Share on other sites


UncommonTruth wrote:

Most of the perception people will have of you in RL (and to an extent internet life as well) isn't even about your looks. Its confidence, the way you carry yourself, interact with people. Your statement that it will never happen in RL is a self fulfilling prophecy. I'm no super model in real, most of us aren't,  but I've never had a shortage of willing males lol. (ok, that didn't sound right, but can't think of a way that does, so oh well)

Lol, yes ^ this ^ :smileytongue:

I've done okay for myself

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Eloise Baily wrote:

 

There are too many ways not to be yourself. That's the idea. It's a SECOND life, not an extension of the first. People roleplay romance here. They lie about themselves, they have five husbands/wives and none of them know about the others...

 

 

Not to all of us, Eloise...I am the same here as I am in RL, in character, personality (well, except that I'm a little older than my avatar :)  It's not a second life to me, I don't pretend to be something I'm not or roleplay.  For me, it is an extension of socialization of my first life.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3642 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...