Ok Need some help on where to look

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4588 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

What I am trying to do is put a script inside a phantomed ( can be made phantom by the script that is fine) long prim that when someone crosses it it will shout a message .. then relay a message ( not the chat .. or the chat would be fine as long as the people on the sim know)  that someone has crossed the prim to an ajoining sim. I have been pouring over old thread posts and looking at collision based greeters .. and chat relays and I am just not sure where to start. Can someone help point me in the right diretion? Am I looking at the right things... ? Is such a thing a possibilty or is this something I need to try and buy from someone?

I understand the very basics of scripting but not indepth.

It sounds like all you want is a simple three or four line script like the example in http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Collision_start .  Just replace llSay with llShout.  If you need it to be heard farther away than the 100m shout range, put a relay script farther into the sim that listens for your object and reshouts what it hears.

ETA:  Oh, yeah.. Forgot about llVolumeDetect.   Thanks, Pete.  :smileyhappy:

Your prim can start phantom, that's not an issue.

Since it's phantom though things pass through it without causing a collision so you will need to use llVolumeDetect() and detect in collision_end events.

To send a message to another sim you can use llShout() if the receiver is within range, in which case the receiver needs to llListen() on the same channel and you process the message in listen events.  If the receiver is outside llShout() range you'll need to use llEmail() or llHTTPRequest() to send the message.  Ask again if you need help with their associated functions/events.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4588 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.