Why is much in SL so aggressive like

Linda Brynner

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1899 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi,

I was wondering why so much in SL after all these years still is so aggressive like.

As per example:

Warning! You have entered private property, linda Brynner!
You have 10 seconds to leave the area, or else you will be automatically forced to leave.

This hard bold blunt language style we still see all around the grid. Why?

Why not like: Hi Linda Brynner. Sorry, but you have entered a private area.

Please do leave within 10 seconds to prevent you sending home.  Sorry for the inconvenience.

It seems a bit more elegant instead of thinking being in a police state LOL

• Like 1

Heck, giving people a reasonable period of time to rez in and get oriented (instead of 10 seconds) would help a lot, too.  Not everyone lives in a major American city with immaculate OpenGL support on the highest end GPU with gobs of RAM staring at their screen when they teleport.  Heck, even in the US, you have people on midrange, dated machines connected by packet radio.

I think somewhere in between would appeal more to me. The former is overly aggressive, the latter a little too...much, I guess. I can't think of the right word. Straightforward but non-aggressive would be nice. "Sorry, Ariel Vuissent, but this is a private area. Please leave within 10 seconds or you will be teleported home." Or something. A happy medium. Regardless, it probably won't change.

I think some of the more bluntly worded warnings happen after the land owner has explained themselves time after time, then finally decided to put out an orb or a sign. At that point, they've used up all their patience and are venting. I agree with you that a more calmly worded warning would be nice.

I bet that it's happened to everyone, where you're moving around and let go of the arrow key and just keep on going, right thru walls, thru peoples houses, thru everything! .. and for longer than 10 seconds, too! I guess this happens because of "lag." What's the point of a 10 second warning when lag often last longer than 10 seconds?

Linda Brynner wrote:

Hi,

I was wondering why so much in SL after all these years still is so aggressive like.

As per example:

Warning! You have entered private property, linda Brynner!

You have 10 seconds to leave the area, or else you will be automatically forced to leave.

This hard bold blunt language style we still see all around the grid. Why?

Why not like: Hi Linda Brynner. Sorry, but you have entered a private area.

Please do leave within 10 seconds to prevent you sending home.  Sorry for the inconvenience.

It seems a bit more elegant instead of thinking being in a police state LOL

Mostly it's because in RL, people are being raised in an environment where less and less emphasis is being placed on the social graces. Simple human courtesy is rapidly becoming a thing of the past, and respect is something to be demanded without any thought of returning same.

Never mind SL, just study people on the bus, or in a restaurant or other public venue. It really is disheartening sometimes, But RL, or On-Line,, it's the world we live in.

Angel.

Angelique LaFollette wrote:

Mostly it's because in RL, people are being raised in an environment where less and less emphasis is being placed on the social graces. Simple human courtesy is rapidly becoming a thing of the past, and respect is something to be demanded without any thought of returning same.

Never mind SL, just study people on the bus, or in a restaurant or other public venue. It really is disheartening sometimes, But RL, or On-Line,, it's the world we live in.

Angel.

Thats sad. I'm not sure what world you're from, but you should come to mine. The people are a generaly polite sort, when you smile, they smile back. There are pleases and thank yous passed around and when someone goes through the door ahead of you, they almost always hold it open and let you pass. Of course there is the occasional sourpuss, no place is perfect ^^

Actually, signs are cool.  They're great.  If you see a sign that says "No Trespassing" or "Private Dock" or something, you know you aren't wanted around there and you can steer clear of the place.  That's clear communication and you can see it from a distance.  Now, if the security system's range was just about where the sign was, then it would make more sense.

The 10 seconds thing does seem somewhat too short a time to allow a well-meaning person to get out of a place they aren't wanted.  I'd bet that anyone actually up to anything malicious could do any damage they had planned in 10 seconds and be out before the orb or whatever kicked them. 

But the time and the somewhat agressive wording aren't SL so much as the people who write the code for the item.  Considering that most of them seem to be identical, I'd guess that most property owners don't actually write the message, it's just what came with the security system they bought.  Now that could maybe change, if people started asking the shops that they buy security stuff from for "firm but polite" versions, or for the time to be adjustable by the purchaser. 

Angelique LaFollette wrote:

Yes, I've seen it so many times in RL. Even close friends who, most times, are perfectly civil at home seem to morph into a perpetual state of road-rage / life-rage as soon as they're out in public. <sighs> Mind you, some take it home with them too :-((( Then again some people I know also seem to display Jeckyll and Hyde schizoid splits between their RL and online personas. It's a strange old world at the best of times.

I agree, Linda. It's the same thing re all those anti-social profile announcements, and the nastiness found in some styles of blog, and the general attitude of some. It's not just SL, I'm sure.

We see it in a lot of telly shows now, where the aim is to belittle people for amusement.

But orbs have their uses, and when you have a rude person lobbing up uninvited to an obviously private place, 10 seconds can seem too long. I have one with a personalisable message, so it will say something nice to you, and apologise profusely as it zaps your sorry bum back home.

• 7 years later...
2 minutes ago, WinTrain said:

People just get upset over the little things in life. Just the tiniest things make most people upset. I'll never understand why. On SL, people are pretty serious and then some.

I'm a nice person.

You're not a nice person. You're taking up too much space by opening up an excessive amount of threads. That demonstrates an intent to dominate without allowing others to participate.

Likewise, opening up necro threads repeatedly (how many by now, like 10 or so) shows you have disregard for the preferences of others (most don't like necro threads, and the rules discourage it).

So, I disagree...you are not nice.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

You're not a nice person. You're taking up too much space by opening up an excessive amount of threads. That demonstrates an intent to dominate without allowing others to participate.

Likewise, opening up necro threads repeatedly (how many by now, like 10 or so) shows you have disregard for the preferences of others (most don't like necro threads, and the rules discourage it).

So, I disagree...you are not nice.

Your post to me was not nice. So therefore you are not nice as well. :)

I'm hurting no one.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WinTrain said:

Your post to me was not nice. So therefore you are not nice as well. :)

I'm hurting no one.

You are hurting people because there are some rules here people want to abide by, even if some are tacit rules.

And, you are making the forum chaotic...you're being disruptive....but you know that don't you?

3 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

o, you're just flooding the front page of General Discussion with 8 year old threads.

Relevant threads mind you. Also, does that hurt you? Are your pixel feelings, or real life feelings hurt in any way cause  a RELEVANT thread that still can be used for information has came back? 

• Like 1

Just now, WinTrain said:

Relevant threads mind you. Also, does that hurt you? Are your pixel feelings, or real life feelings hurt in any way cause  a RELEVANT thread that still can be used for information has came back? 

Most of those threads are not relevant to today's SL. A lot has changed since 2011. 

You are not hurting feelings. You ARE disrupting the forum by flooding. Which is another word for spamming.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1899 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.