Computer Specs for shadows and graphics [help please!!!!]

Reo Blinker

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4588 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am looking to get a new computer, I actually want to order it right now but I first want to know if it will defiently allow secondlifes best graphics (shadows, depth of field anisotrpic filering and antialiasing) i want to be able to max everything out for pictures see.

Here is a basic outline of the type of computer i would be getting

Intel® Core™i7-2600 Quad Core (3.40GHz, 8MB Cache) + HD Graphics

Motherboard: ASUS® P8H67-M: M-ATX, DDR3, USB 2.0, SATA 6.0Gb/s, CrossFireX™

Memory: (RAM)8GB SAMSUNG DDR3 DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 4GB)

Memory - 1st Hard Disk1TB SERIAL ATA 3-Gb/s HARD DRIVE WITH 16MB CACHE (7,200rpm)

Power Supply: CORSAIR 650W ENTHUSIAST SERIES™ TX650 V2-80 PLUS® BRONZE 

Processor CoolingINTEL SOCKET LGA1155/1156 STANDARD CPU COOLER

and

Graphics Card2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti - 2 DVI,HDMI,VGA - 3D Vision Ready

or the NVIDIA GTX 570 

Also the hard disk that is internal storage or a extra like memory stick or something? I Don't know much about computers.

Will a system like this or similar be able to max out secondlife?

You should be happy with the 560ti but the 570 will be better, but the frame-rate will still drop in busy areas.  But most people in SL would love to own a PC with that spec!

BTW if you do get it you may find you keep crashing if you use the official Viewer - this is because of an OpenGL issue that LL are trying to address (but that may take a while to fully resolve).  Just thought I'd say so you don't blame your lovely piece of tech. :smileyhappy:

Hello Reo. It is possible to play with ultra graphics but i guess you will feel some lag. A close friend uses Nvidia GEForce GTX 275 x2 in SLI (working together). This way i can say for sure that you will be able to activate all advanced graphics settings without lag. As i said many times in past here, SL is a very demanding application, especially now after the last updates.

Wow some comp ! I want it ! lol

I looked up the specs.

I can't say it enough... Video memory is not the most interesting part since SL hardly will use 400 or so maxed, but DDR3 is a good average standard (speed of the memory). I really don't know it there are cards already with DDR5.

Specially the main processors will provide the basis FPS, with a Quad it should be not too bad, however you might experience some lag with all maxed out.

Very important is the Buswidth of your Vid card which is the full 256 version, excellent. It will draw textures the fastest.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=nl&sl=en&u=http://www.nvidia.com/object/product-geforce-gtx-560ti-us.html&ei=ruqATtSMJcnWsgbrudm2Dg&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCUQ7gEwAA&prev=/search%3Fq%3DGEFORCE%2BGTX%2B560%2BTi%26hl%3Dnl%26prmd%3Dimvnsr

Some complain that they have an upmarket newest pc and then they see a very laggy SL because their card only appear to have a 128 bits video buswidth, what a pity since it becomes the real bottleneck in the whole setting. They may experience high FPS, but slow rendering of textures.

But your's is far above SL´s recommendation.

All in all far above average i would say, unfortunate the official SL viewers are very borked since off 2.7.3... more than ever that is to my experience.

the gtx ti 560 i could get as 2gb but the 570 would be 1.24 i think. Would it still be better for toget the 570? I suppose once this last question is answered I should go click buy lol. I am using one of the build your own computer websites thats probably why the computer seems so crazy lol :] 

Your PC is fine. If anything I would get 8GB instead of 4GB of main system memory. The 560Ti is the good version and should be fine depending on your display resolution. Shadows and Ambient Occlusion can be quite demanding at times so don't be surprised by some lag now and again. Your internet connection is as much a factor too since you are downloading data whenever porting to a new zone or when people come into range.

SL is not really optimized for SLI nor multicore processors yet (last time I checked and from what I can see on my meters) so you don't really have to do much on that side of things.

Phenom II X4 555 BE (Unlocked) Overclocked 3.6ghz
GeForce GTX 560 Ti Overclocked
Corsair 4096MB DDR2 SDRAM PC6400 (Gaming Ram - Low Timing/Cas)
GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H Motherboard
Thermaltake 850-Watt TR2 RX PSU
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Thats my system; its a little over a year old accept for the PSU and GFX card which are about a month old.  I built it and took into account everything from matching the FSB with my ram speed, to making sure I had the lowest ram timing I could find.  I am getting 10 FPS in public places with every graphical setting maxed, AA 16x/AF.  When alone in my virtual home I get about 20 FPS.  Pathetic for those system specs, I know.  The problem is Windlight, the graphic engine SL uses.  I can max out GFX with ANY modern game and get at least 20 fps at all times, usually much more too.  Most of the time I am locked in at 60 FPS because I want to sync with my HDTV refresh rate, and 120 FPS is too much to ask from modern games with this hardware.  Flight Sim X runs maxed out with a lot of HD addons very well.  Crysis 1 & 2 run maxed out with great framerates.  Second Life however, just kills my system.

Again, that system will run anything you throw at it right now with great framerates BUT Second Life.  I would love to see some screen shots of someone with every graphic setting maxed, including hardware, in a crowded public place, that gets more then 15 FPS.  Unfortunately its not the hardware fault, its crappy programming and the garbage graphics engine they use to run Second Life.

I am not trying to piss in your Wheaties, I just don't want you to be let down like I was when I picked up my new GFX card.  It runs everything but SL great, but my main reason to upgrade was SL because I game on the 360/PS3, not my PC.

I still havn't gone around to purchasing the computer so this extra advise is useful, hopefully time I get a new one sl would have started to fix the way it does its graphics but I doubt it. When I get it (could be a while now) I will tell you all how it goes and the exact specs with snapshots

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4588 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.