Being In Two Places At Once?

Marcus Hancroft

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4588 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am currently testing the mesh enabled Cool VL Viewer and I like it a lot!  Something I've noticed more often though is after teleporting, the coordinates at the top of the screen show the sim I teleported TO, but the description field still showing the sim I teleported FROM.  It's like the region handoff didn't totally complete and I am in essence...in two places at once.  The result of this is that textures on the sim I teleported to will not load, and the viewer crashes as soon as I try to teleport back to the previous sim. 

If this was just happening with this one viewer I would call it a bug in the viewer.  However, it happens with Phoenix (but not nearly the frequency as Cool VL), Firestorm, V3 and the rest of the mesh enabled viewers I've tried. 

Does anybody have any idea what causes this or any solutions I can try to prevent this handoff issue?

It's common in the mobile devices too. It's just a latency issue related to the viewer code itself and communicates with the network.  It is just the information and should have no bearing on transfers, etc.

Overall, SL has been having serious network issues.  As some background, they use Level (3) as their network backbone.  L(3) has been having issues for some time and is greatly over subscribed (not to mention their massive debt).  

At SL, core, is a globally disbursed network of servers, much like a cloud.  It is not nor every will be designed as a Mission Critical application as it really isn't, it's a free MMO.

Latency, inventory issues and most of the problems you see have nothing to do with a Server or Region problems, they lie between you and the network.  Packet lost, etc. is not different than when you have issues with a webpage.  You refresh the webpage and all is well.  Refreshing in SL does pretty much the same however, it requires a relog.

Chelsea Malibu wrote:

It's common in the mobile devices too. It's just a latency issue related to the viewer code itself and communicates with the network.  It is just the information and should have no bearing on transfers, etc.

Overall, SL has been having serious network issues.  As some background, they use Level (3) as their network backbone.  L(3) has been having issues for some time and is greatly over subscribed (not to mention their massive debt).  

At SL, core, is a globally disbursed network of servers, much like a cloud.  It is not nor every will be designed as a Mission Critical application as it really isn't, it's a free MMO.

Latency, inventory issues and most of the problems you see have nothing to do with a Server or Region problems, they lie between you and the network.  Packet lost, etc. is not different than when you have issues with a webpage.  You refresh the webpage and all is well.  Refreshing in SL does pretty much the same however, it requires a relog.

Howdy, Miss Chelsea!  Thanks for your responce!  Luckily, I haven't experienced any inventory issues so far, I have 0% packet loss and everything else *seems* to working properly.  It's just this region handoff problem and let me just say...it's driving me nutso!  :smileyvery-happy:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4588 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.