Good news for nVidia card users and Viewer 3/Firestorm

Spiral Silverstar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4534 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

There is a Beta version of the newest driver available at nVidia site, and It seems to work smoothly and well for me, using Viewer 3 as well as Phoenix Firestorm Beta-Mesh.  It is Version 285.27 beta.   I have a GEForce GTX 460 nVidia card, fyi.

Just download and install!

http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista-64bit-285.27-beta-driver.html

I upgraded to an nVidia GTX 560ti just before V3 came out and all the server updates.  I had a few days of ultimate SL bliss with the SL V3 viewer and then it went sadly downhill as the server updates started. and I had to once again turn my graphics settings way down to prevent crashing.  Until I tried Phoenix Firestorm.  Now I can have my graphics at Ultimate and wander the grid with shadows on and have - get this - never crashed once with Firestorm.  With the SL V3 viewer I would crash at least 3 times a day.  I work in SL and this is a very big deal to me.

I will be sticking with Firestorm :)

Crowds were what did it for me too, Dora.  Any place with more than 4 or 5 people I'd crash as soon as I took my first step.  I have 2Gigs of ram on my video card plus 8 gigs of regular ram and a quad core machine.  I knew it wasn't just me.

Firestorm has WAY more features, has my favorite Starlight skins built right in and yet it NEVER crashes.  To me that means there is something seriously wrong with the standard SL V3 viewer.

I am LOVING finally being able to wander the grid with shadows on :)

Imagin Illyar wrote:

Crowds were what did it for me too, Dora.  Any place with more than 4 or 5 people I'd crash as soon as I took my first step.  I have 2Gigs of ram on my video card plus 8 gigs of regular ram and a quad core machine.  I knew it wasn't just me.

Firestorm has WAY more features, has my favorite Starlight skins built right in and yet it NEVER crashes.  To me that means there is something seriously wrong with the standard SL V3 viewer.

I am LOVING finally being able to wander the grid with shadows on
:)

As Tristizia says Firestorm suffers the same big OpenGL problem that Viewer 3 does.  But there are also a few bugs in Viewer 3 that Firestorm have either fixed or chosen not to deploy.

@Marvolo - Firestorm will never sort out all Viewer problems until LL have solved most of them because it is based on the LL core code - they are just trying to improve it in several areas.

@Imagin - Whether you are affected does seem to depend on the GPU you have, what graphic settings you have, which sims you are on and whether you saw a magpie that morning :smileyhappy:.  As you can imagine, with a problem that is that fickle it will also take some time to fully fix.

• 1 month later...

Cheshyr Pontchartrain wrote:

Quite odd. For me, Viewer 3 is hell on an nVidia 560 Ti under Windows 7 64-bit.  Firestorm and Phoenix run fine. But I cannot use shadows in any of them, without FPS dropping to 5-6, followed by a crash.

Very strange. I have:

CPU: Intel® Core i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz

Memory: 8169 MB

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1

Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 560 Ti/PCI/SSE2

Driver version: 266.44

Using either:

Second Life 3.2.2 (244666) Nov  8 2011 17:07:43 (Second Life Beta Viewer)

or

Firestorm 3.0.1 (22525) Sep  6 2011 13:04:42 (Mesh beta)

Both run just fine with good frame rates. I can use shadows in both of them, but then the frame rate drops considerably in both of them. Still usable with shadows on though.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4534 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.