being defamed and others

greek Wingtips

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2877 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I think a picture of one entering a club is pretty harmless but now one has to send a message prior to the club showing it

provided its been accepted, this is good practice, but I think posting a picture for any other reason especially to defame or 

insult is another matter,and that is were LL should come down on persons that do that kind of thing, I know it's a game but

there has to be some rules inplace or evething would be turn to  mayhem.and although my picture is a avatar, imagine that

poor person who has there RL pic posted on this " wall of shame" is that going to far, even to the fact that really legal action

should be taken upon the owner and the person who posted it.

greek Wingtips wrote:

I think a picture of one entering a club is pretty harmless but now one has to send a message prior to the club showing it

provided its been accepted, this is good practice, but I think posting a picture for any other reason especially to defame or 

insult is another matter,and that is were LL should come down on persons that do that kind of thing, I know it's a game but

there has to be some rules inplace or evething would be turn to  mayhem.and although my picture is a avatar, imagine that

poor person who has there RL pic posted on this " wall of shame" is that going to far, even to the fact that really legal action

should be taken upon the owner and the person who posted it.

i don't think i have disagreed with you  yet in the thread hehehe

as far as the legal part..that would be up to the user with the image up there if they wanted to try and do that..i guess it would depend on if those rl pics were in their first life section of their profile as to how strong of a case someone would have in that ..

We here to agree and disagree if thats the case LOL , but some points to consider, 

1: how was the RL picture obtained, if obtained without owners permission and posted ,I would think a very legal case would stand, and if reported to LL and nothing was done then LL would have a case to anwer too.

2: I also belive but never read it myself, if the terms and conditions we agree to when we join SL, there must be something

there written that we must abide too.

3:in the end there is a thin line of legal and illeagal  in SL, one being it's a game so difficault to police, I not a ruler of law

or that we cannot have fun, but I do think as players we do have a duty to be morale, not to inpeed or insult others or upset

.defame or and steal ( copyright) there are more but not going to list.but think you get my drift.

greek Wingtips wrote:

We here to agree and disagree if thats the case LOL , but some points to consider, 

1: how was the RL picture obtained, if obtained without owners permission and posted ,I would think a very legal case would stand, and if reported to LL and nothing was done then LL would have a case to anwer too.

2: I also belive but never read it myself, if the terms and conditions we agree to when we join SL, there must be something

there written that we must abide too.

3:in the end there is a thin line of legal and illeagal  in SL, one being it's a game so difficault to police, I not a ruler of law

or that we cannot have fun, but I do think as players we do have a duty to be morale, not to inpeed or insult others or upset

.defame or and steal ( copyright) there are more but not going to list.but think you get my drift.

thats not what i was getting at..

my point was that  if they obtained an RL picture that was  in the public access area of their profile that it may not be something as strong as if they obtained it from something a bit more private or outside of sl..then brought it in world themselves and put it on their wall of shame..

it would be a bigger more solid case of disclosure if the user themselves never brought that real life pic  in world but this guy with the wall of shame did..

a wall of shame is kind of childish anyways if you ask me..nomatter if it were against the rules or not..

i'm not the type that is in favor of any kind of black lists or things like them..hehehe

What's painful in this thread is watching what may be a perfectly valid case against defamation be diluted by the profile picture tangent.

Would we really prefer that it be permitted to defame with text, as long as no profile pictures are used to identify the targets?

The pictures are not what makes it defamation and therefore a violation worth pursuing.  The more the case focuses on the pictures, the less its significance.

Your right in what you are saying , not that I agree, " a wall of a shame is a statement" thus placing a picture without consent

on a wall the dipicits that statement is defaming I belive it does not need any text to make that judgement, but to goes as far, this guy does have statements under the pictures , At the end of the end how and when and were it is obtained does not give anyone any right to use it in a manner to undermind,defame or belittle anyone, the crux of all this was it obtained under

consent,  because if anyone is going to defend taking a picture and plastering it anyway  and little them getaway with it, well it opens a whole can of worms, " what if two people are having sex , does that give me the right to place their picture on a wall for all to see? hmmmmmmmm   , 

I didn't see it as detraction, but rather a sidebar. pretty sure OP got all the info they needed.especially since defamation would require an actual false statement, the picture policy is more likely to get results.

now we're just in it for the interesting inconsistencies of LL policy (well I am)

Void Singer wrote:

I didn't see it as detraction, but rather a sidebar. pretty sure OP got all the info they needed.especially since defamation would require an actual false statement, the picture policy is more likely to get results.

now we're just in it for the interesting inconsistencies of LL policy (well I am)

I think that for LL's purposes, as opposed to those of the law of libel, the fact that a statement is derogatory probably counts as "defamation".    I bet if I put up a board in-world saying "So-and-so is a lying, cheating scumbag" and so-and-so ARd it as harassment>defamation or whatever it's called,  LL wouldn't offer me the opportunity to prove it was fair comment before they returned it.

• 4 years later...

Do photos in the nude without knowledge posted to the internet count? Because that is what happened to me...i pieced it together and and realized that someone was taking photos of me and my husband while exploring Tempura....they derendered my clothes....and derendered my husband so it looked like i was posing in the nude...then put it on https://secondlifegirls.wordpress.com,  Take a look lots of other innocent victims there. I contacted a few and they had no knowledge of the pictures being taken or posted.  There has to be some way to track someone who puts up an anonymous site like that?

Ilithios Liebknecht wrote:

I don't know what's more hilarious. The fact that that site exists or the fact that anyone is upset about it.

I am usully more inclined tobelive people are not so much upset about it as promoting it.I mean, every time I have linked tonude pictures of my avatar they were posted by me.  If I did not want other people to see them I would not be linking them in a public forum. In other words, don't believe everything you read.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2877 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.