being defamed and others

greek Wingtips

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2855 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I like to know, if some one creates a wall of shame and plasters thier av pic on them without thier consent then does that

contruded being defamed? like myself and from what I gather a cetain indivual has a wall of shame on his sims with many

pictures of av's some with rl photo on there, I have filed a complaint agaist him, but i am worried most of those others on his wall of shame dont even know.  if a linden rep wants to contact me in private please do so,

If it is factually untrue it is defmatory and a violation of Section 8.2(v) of the Terms of Service for use of Second Life.  If it is someone's real life picture that was not previously published by that person in Second Life it is a violation of Section 8.2(v) and 8.3 of the TOS.

If there are multiple instances of these violations by publication of a "wall of shame" then it is highly probably that it will result in the suspension if not the termination of the account of the person.

Maybe I did not make myself clear sorry, the guy has a wall of shame on his sim in secondlife, so I assume that Lindens

has some bear of responbility on what is done in SL, I am sure one cannot do something like that, because if that the case

then all mayhem is then let loose, so degree of rules must apply, one being consent from others what is posted either text

or pictures,  if a club asks for permission to allow them to post your pic into a club then  surly this guys is doing illegal.

It's amazing how many sims still post a profile picture the moment someone comes in - and without an opt in. 

I've tried to let them know it's against TOS before and always get an angry reply or argument, so I quit bothering. I just don't go back. Who knows what else they've got on their land.

To the OP: If they are disclosing RL info that is against TOS. That would include a photo of someone in RL, I'd think.

Curious: What are they 'shaming' people about? You don't have to answer that.

Some very good replies, as for some well I beg to question a " defame to be fame" hmmm I dont think not if you saw what he has wrote beneath them, as for the other reply it being a silly rule, well I sure if someone wrote about you in a defamed

way and plaster your pic am sure you would not like it. but thank you for all the advice given I now been able to cam to the wall which is open to the public and taken a snapshot of not just me but everyone and filed a defame complaint with LL

I do hope this guy is repermanded as an interesting comment he made to me was that he calls himself a Troll, first I just thought it a short creature with long hair but it has another meaning which is a " cyberbully" maybe its his way of getting kicks who knows, some crazy people in SL, and thats fine, as long as they keep to themselves and dont intrude on others

greek Wingtips wrote:

... as for the other reply it being a silly rule, well I sure if someone wrote about you in a defamed way and plaster your pic am sure you would not like it. ...

I'm pretty sure the "silly rule" wasn't about defamation, but rather about the use of profile pictures.  That rule is silly because its legal grounds, copyright, bears no relationship to the actual reason it exists: to placate a small segment of the public who imagine it protects their privacy (although it does nothing of the sort).

(Some of us have been known to use words rather stronger than "silly" to describe such abuse of Intellectual Property law, where "abuse" is anything that doesn't promote innovation.)

Anyway, good luck with the defamation AR.  Unless there's a history, I doubt there will be a reprimand other than the offending prims going away.  But if there wasn't a history before, there will be now.

Qie Niangao wrote:

I'm pretty sure the "silly rule" wasn't about defamation, but rather about the use of profile pictures.  That rule is silly because its legal grounds, copyright, bears no relationship to the actual reason it exists: to placate a small segment of the public who imagine it protects their privacy (although it does nothing of the sort).

The idea that the prohibition on displaying people's profile pictures protects anyone's privacy seems a bit misguided.   The only person to whom it discloses the fact I've been in the shop of the club who wouldn't know anyway  is someone who arrives soon after me after me, assuming I've left before they turn up, until someone else consents to have his or her profile picture displayed.

Despite this, as far as I can see there's absolutely nothing in the ToS to stop someone putting out a prim that displays with hovertext  the names of the last 10 visitors, which seems far more invasive.

Void Singer wrote:

personally I think it's a silly rule, but LL made it, so....

It had something to do with photo ownership, or some pix being more 'personal' (can't really say private) and also some profiles are private I guess if they are not in search. (And there's always the lovely surprise when someone has an X rated pic and it shows up in a G rated sim.)

Yeah as long as it's on the books, they should abide by it, is basically how I feel, as well.

ETA: Oops sorry, I hadn't seen page 2 yet when I wrote this! Just hit reply to Void.

it's kind of like thier machinama rule they have now..

it's ok to take a picture or video of the crowd if it's allowed in a sim to do so..you just can't single someone out in it without permission..(the rule is not in those exact words..but around that)

thats probably thier meaning behind the whole profile board thing that shows someones profile pics as well..

to me it sounds like this guy had a static wall that had rl and sl pics on it and something written about each one of them by their pics..

i'm suprized he hasn't been griefed like crazy by now lol

(Lithium broke my thread reply button)

@Discussion of profile pic rules:
the argument was that profile were not given so the user had no permissions for them. This despite the fact that profiles were 100% public at the time, (and main pictures still are) and that ToS explicitly states you can share information provided there....

IMHO it's an example of LL being lazy and not wanting to deal with misuse of pictures (such as defamation or  false sponsorship) by excusing the information under IP... and as Qie notes, is entirely self serving of pretend-privacy (and of course LL's complaint department which isn't known for it's ability to determine context)

Since I, as a user, can do nothing about the policy myself, I'll happily abuse it to my own ends when I can, and ridicule it when I can't.

I Think we missing the point slighty, showing a pic in a club or shop does not really a privacy matter as someone said, my

point is this its a delibrate act, firstly his title " wall of shame" as for others to see, with no permission to dispplay and no right

to make a judgement  as he already defamed by the title in a place as to were the public have acess and see..

i think it's that just because it is public doesn't make it full perms to do with as we please..

in other words..we can't pull the picture and change the story or make a bunch of crap up about the person in the pic and then republish it..

we can share the information in it and thats where permissions end for the public..

i don't see a way in the sl tools that have a copy profile image or text from them..so the information is information to access and  is meant to be read and looked at unless given permission to do otherwise..

just because we can click print screen  or ctrl c and v doesn't mean permission.. they are not there to share as in handing copies of them out ..not  when all people have to do is give a user name to the profile to search the profile themselves..

if pics were for public use rather than to access and look at then there would be a way to copy them from within sl itself..

kind of funny how we can log chat logs though and not share those LOL

i really don't give a crap who copies my pics from my profile.. have at it..same with my flickr lol..just don't go making up a bunch of crap...

i guess maybe LL see's that some do give a crap about it and  do get immersed..it is a virtual world hehehehe

maybe LL saw the drama that could come from it..so maybe thats why there is this rule..i don't think it is too crazy to think people would feel SL would become part of their RL's in some way...so maybe it's not really as pretend  as some may feel it is to others..

some come here seeing the tech side and worry about different things..some come here to have a good time or to escape and worry about other things..people worry about different things on different levels.. it doesn't make them foolish reasons or fools..just different..

what some people may see as stupid  others won't..it's a real world thang that we all come in with..

hehehehe

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2855 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.