Scam Warning

PeterCanessa Oh

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4595 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have just received this forum PM:

"Goodday PeterCanessa , My name is <deleted just so I don't get done for TOS violation> ,I live in the Republic of Togo, I am a lawyer to the late Dr. W .L. Canessa,who was my client here in Togo, before his untimely death in 2006 after a brief illness. I have this proposal for you, US$ 7.5 million and I want to execute this transaction with you, so that we can claim the money and transfer it to your account, without delay for more information about the process. I look forward in your reply so we can decide our outcome for this transaction in a good spirit."

There doesn't seem to be a way to report such things so I just hope no-one here is daft enough to fall for such things.  No harm in replying, however, as they know my avatar exists:

"Thank you for keeping an old scam alive.  If it wasn't for people like you that care for such worn out and unwanted frauds they would die alone and unloved.

Perhaps you would like to contribute to "I am a criminal that doesn't care about other people, I just want to steal their money so I can have a good time".  If so, please feel free to pay L$ to my avatar in-world"

[Incidentally, if anyone else wants to contribute I'm not proud - just chuck your money this way]

sorry, but unless you didnt get it, it is a scam, and the person writing about the money has nothing to do with any peoples mentioned, it is only a feeble attempt to legitimise themselves, this scam is as old as the hills, and i have already see tens of different versions of it. So you will never find out who they really are, all they are looking for is a way to get you private bank details......@ the original poster...i hope you AR'd them.....

I wouldn't have thought of the FBI, that's interesting.  The originator says he's in Togo, I'm in the UK but all this is happening on LL's forums servers which are US/Californian.  FBI are likely to be the only agency who would do anything about this  (although not in isolation, obviously)

@ Joanna - copy sent to you

I received it as well,

Though i am of African Descent (And from the region of the Congo) my Family left Africa in the late 1700's for the West Indies By way of France (As free people of colour, we were never slaves). Our Family did not Adopt our French name until we reached France so there would be no relatives in the old country with that name (It's a fact supported by our geneology that no one from our family returned to the old country), And even IF by some dint of fate we missed a cousin somewhere who DID go back, It would have to have been at a time so far back in our family's history, that none of us would qualify as a close Heir.

I am not sure which astounds me more, the fact that people still try this scam, or the Knowledge that some people are so credulous that they still fall for it.

The essence of any Scam, Con, or Grift is the impulse in so many people to try to get something for nothing;

In the words of the Immortal W.C. Fields:

"You can't cheat an honest man"

Angel.

I got it too, and what is esp amazing is that this person takes the time to make an avatar (or several?) andsend a personal message to each one of us, and yet does not seem to realize that our avatars are VERY unlikely to be related to the good doctor of the same name. (Second Life is not a good place to do genealogy either btw.)

I've received different varions of this in my spam email folder for years now. Sadly it's not a joke, these people seriously think unsuspecting people will get involved in these scams.  For awhile when I first started getting them, I was thinking I must be pretty well known or something that these laywers of royalty and such would even contact me lol...I've come to learn that it's a scam that's been around forever.  Sad that these people are now contacting forum uses.  Guess you're not safe from spam or scams anywhere on the net.  I remember learning in a high school business class "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is".  I always keep this in mind when there's an internet offer in my email box. 

Have a lovely Saturday everyone!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4595 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.