How to increase animation in SL?

dude434

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4592 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I know this is a sprite render several hundreds models engine but I would like to find out very minimum spec's for a laptop computer that will be at par with video games like counter strike on steam (ha ha) so the speed can be similiar when using both ?  I know thats not possible but if I increase the video card + ram to latest notebook will SL improve better?  Or what are the basic tweaks I can change in perferances to make it faster ? Thanks.

It's a bit difficult to say what is the minimum requirement. However, one can say the faster the better the experience will be. Avoid any laptop what has integrated Intel video chip, they really are not up to the task for 3D evironments. Upgrading video card helps, again the faster the better. It should have SSE2 support too. More RAM will help too. My advice is: get the fastest laptop what you can possibly afford. Just a bare minimum is not good. It just leads to that you need to upgrade it very soon again. Get "a bit too fast" one if you can afford it. Then you will be happy with it for many years to come.

Here are my specs (this is actually a PC):

CPU: Intel® Core i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz (3411.15 MHz)
Memory: 8169 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 560 Ti/PCI/SSE2

With this setup Second Life is really good experience, high frame rates with very high graphics settings. One more advantage of fast computer is that any viewers what I happen to use, crash very seldom. Crashes are almost non existent.

When I used my old computer, which is a lot slower one, the crashes were very frequent. My experience suggests that a lot of the crashes what people are having is not the viewer's fault, but the fault of too slow computer, not quite up to the task. When the program uses almost all the resources what the computer has, and even wants still more, crashes will happen often.

(I know that a lot of people have old computers what they use to run SL viewers. I know too that many are in a position that they just cannot afford to upgrade yet. It's a pity of course, but nothing can be done so that graphics intensive 3D programs would run perfectly in slow computers. They are resource hogs, and thus need powerful engine to run well.)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4592 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.