Rainbow Glitch on Logout

Crysric

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4592 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm having a graphical problem with the viewer where it runs perfectly fine normally, but when I quit, my whole screen turns into a mixture of rainbow colors that can't be fixed without a reboot.  Anyone know what the problem might be?

My graphics card is a NVIDIA NVS 5100M, and I know that my drivers are definitely up to date, given that I just recently updated them.

Here's a picture of what my screen looks like after logging out.

http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/754/imag0009ka.jpg

That is a symptom of an overheated graphics card.  But it's also a symptom of a failing graphics card and a bad grapphics card driver.  I know the OP has updated the driver.  But if the update induced some corruption by being installed over the older driver then it could very well be a driver issue.  My suggestion is to go back to the manufacturers driver download site and get a fresh copy.  Save the driver to your hard drive (don't install from the website).  Then remove the old driver via either the uninstallation utility your operating system has or using a third party driver removal utility.  Then install the driver you downloaded.  It's very unlikely you'll get a corrupted driver that way (but anything is possible).  Another thing I would do is Google "hardware monitoring software" and find one you like.........there are plenty that are free on the Internet (or you can go to Download.com and search for hardware monitoring software.........there are tons that are free (or nearly free) and you get CNET's review of them in some cases.  When you exhausted all the other possibilities and still have the problem you need to seriously look at replacing the graphics card.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4592 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.