Avie looks way better in 'edit my shape'

ShyBirdShy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4580 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Everytime I go into 'edit my shape' my avie looks just the way I want it, but as soon as I back out this light goes off and I see this weird shape around my nose!  I thought it would've been everyone's avie that does that but it's not.  I've cammed around and seen some people with perfectly smooth looking avatar faces and some that seem to have the same issue as me!!

What is this?? It's really ugly 

When you are in edit appearance, you have a light shining on you. When you go out of edit appearance, the light goes off. Usually the avatars whose faces you see as smooth are wearing a facelight, the ones who have the lines are either not wearing face lights or your viewer is not displaying them.

What you want to do is get a face light, it makes your avatar look better to yourself and hopefully to those around you as well. Be careful not to wear one that is too bright as you then become a living spot light or glowing anomaly.

Many facelights are free, the best ones let you change intensity and or color and quantity of lights, which are very useful when photographing yourself.

At least, that is what it sounds like to me.

Since you are a new user and are probably using a newer viewer I'd suggest adjusting your sky settings.

windlight1.png

In the topmost pic above, we see the standard ugly shadows on the avatar. If you go to the World settings you can go to the Environment Editor as shown and make a new sky preset. In the Create a New Sky Preset window you choose a name for your preset. I named this example 'No Shadows'. Then click on the box that says Sun/Moon Color and set it to black. This turns off the light from the sun which causes those ugly shadows. Click OK to save the setting.

windlight2.png

The next step is to click on the Ambient box and choose a fairly bright gray setting (or whatever color you want). This controls the overall light you see in-world. Then click OK to save the ambient setting and choose Make This Preset My New Sky Setting and click save. That should be it. However, if you want to go back and reload that sky preset you go to the Environment Settings as shown above.

windlight3.png

Where it says Fixed Sky, you can click on the box to the right of it and choose your preset. User created presets are at the very top. Voila! Perfect skin for yourself and for everyone else that you look at.

ShyBirdShy wrote:

:)

so that's all it is, is a face light???  

Thank goodness.  

Oh no! To walk around face light shining on ones avatar is like yelling: "Hey, look at me!". :smileytongue:  One will look exactly the same day or night no change at all. It totally kills the environmental lighting variation. Lighting varies in RL, so it does in SL. In RL we don't walk around a light source shining at our face. Why should we do so in SL?

Variation is natural, to look like a perfect cartoon picture at all times is not. :smileywink:

One can turn off the rendering wearable lights in the viewer. So, if you wear a facelight you could see its effect yourself. But those who have turned wearable lights off in their viewers will not see the effect of your face light at all. So facelights are a kind of self deception after all. :smileyindifferent:  The saying: "What you see, is not necessarily the same what I see" is very true in Second Life.

Coby Foden wrote:

ShyBirdShy wrote:

:)

so that's all it is, is a face light???  

Thank goodness.  

Oh no! To walk around face light shining on ones avatar is like yelling:
"Hey, look at me!"
. :smileytongue:  One will look exactly the same day or night no change at all. It totally kills the environmental lighting variation. Lighting varies in RL, so it does in SL. In RL we don't walk around a light source shining at our face. Why should we do so in SL?

Variation is natural, to look like a perfect cartoon picture at all times is not. :smileywink:

One can turn off the rendering wearable lights in the viewer. So, if you wear a facelight you could see its effect yourself. But those who have turned wearable lights off in their viewers will not see the effect of your face light at all. So facelights are a kind of self deception after all. :smileyindifferent:  The saying:
"What you see, is not necessarily the same what I see"
is very true in Second Life.

I agree, Coby. Different viewers, sky settings, graphics settings, system performance, lag, graphics cards, etc pretty much guarantee that no two persons are going to be seeing the same thing. 

Also in agreement with Griffin as to dim lighting for the same reasons, those who run on low settings tend to have very bright facelights to those of us who run on ultra, so that is why I recommended a dim facelight in my reply to ShyBird Shy. 

As far as environmental changes, anyone with a capable viewer can adjust their day and night settings so it would be impossible to know if it is day or night time to those who are viewing you, so again, a dim light would be the best compromise. Facelights are one of those accessories that is common to second life, much like being able to see invisiprim shoes on some dance floors or gorgeous hair going through avatars bodies or even the fact that all our curves are in reality somewhat jagged. In an imperfect world, we do our best. Think of facelights as virtual makeup, sure, everyone knows we are wearing some, the trick is to make it look natural :smileywink:

And I agree with Venus.. using any old freebie facelight is not good enough. For someone to use one and *not* instantly piss-off entire crowds of people in public places, it *has* to have a light radius of  2m or less... 2m is roughly 6 feet in all directions, 12 feet from edge to edge, and is more than enough to light yourself up to your hearts content without bleeding light onto everyone else around you.

It's no big deal to wear a respectable facelight if you're concerned about how others see you, but it becomes laughably ironic how if you wear a bad one with too large a radius, people will just DeRender you and you'll not be seen at all...

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

Did I make it seem like I was against subtle facelights?
I said in my first post that they should not be too bright and preferably adjustable. Is everyone else just agreeing or did I somehow convey the idea that I thought facelights should be super bright?

No, just the opposite.  What you are reading are others chiming in to agree.

its good we are talking about it, because im not sure some people realize how bright they can be when they tp into a place.  many times i've been in a store or club and all of a sudden everyone has a lit up yellow face because some poor girl is wearing an 8 prim facelight that is way too bright. the might not realize that they are overdoing it x100 because of their settings.  maybe reading this thread will make a few people stop and go... "am i too much of a superstar?  should i maybe tone it down a bit and save the corneas of others?"  it's really a public service announcement ...

I don't use facelights or windlight. I figure I want to see myself at my worst because that is how most others will see my av also.

Huge facelights tend to look ridiculous anyway. I think Ghosty made a freebie, softer face light, and it's usually available in the freebies room at the Forum Cartel Hangout (in search.)

Every av has those triangles around their nose. There is no avoiding it. The best we can hope for is that a really quality skin will soften the shading around the nose and hide some of that. 

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4580 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.