unlimited groups

Reiku Kinomis

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4085 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Increasing the group limit I might take a serious look at and support you.  Unlimited?  That's a big number, you know.......like infinite.  Do you have any idea what a work load that would place on the servers (not to mention the work it would require to just maintain that many groups)? 

Get reasonable if you want a serious discussion.

I agree with Peggy, unlimited is a lot.

I would suspect that once a Resident hits about 200 groups, they might experience lag just trying to view all groups they belong to. Waiting for groups to load could be a new error message.

Allowing additional group membership above and beyond what is offered for standard accounts would be of benefit. To add to your idea, I would like to see the fee for forming a group eliminated for premium accounts. The monthly maintenance fee would remain in effect.

I'm not even sure what the group limit is now.  It used to be 25 but then there was some talking of increasing that to something like 35..........I don't know what came of that since I'm not a group joiner myself.  I can see 50 being a good number (not really arbitary because even at that number it's going to be very hard to keep organized......creators might like it for their daily group notice spam but that's a differen story).  But if you are saying premium only members then I'm going to balk a little (and I'm a premium account for just at 6 years now...non-stop).  The "benefit" factor is just not there........it's a feel good benefit like those premium sandboxes we just got.

If you are going to give a benefit for something to premium account holders then make it a benefit..........free uploads, more than 512 square meter tier allowance, or some such.  Doubling the group limit?  I can't see any value there as a benefit.  Up the group limit to everyone if LL is going to do that.

• 1 year later...

Honestly I wish they would up the amount of groups as well. Being that I have paid for most of my groups, im obviously not going to leave them to join another and I am out of groups. I wish they would up it to like 200. I mean they had unlimited groups on firestorm for a little while then they were just gone and made to 42 it fricking sucks. LL needs to get on this, cuz im out of group space and theres lots more i would like to be able to join

Don't hold you breath,  It won't happen any time soon.  Back when we were limited to 25 groups people had to beg and plead for literally years before they raised it to 42.  Each group takes up server space.  The more groups you allow people to join the larger the groups are and the more space they take up.

If you are a member of a group just to get notices of new releases, then go to the shop and see if they have a subscription service and join it.  You'll still get notices and many even send free gifts too.  You can then leave the group without losing the benefit.

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

Don't hold you breath,  It won't happen any time soon.  Back when we were limited to 25 groups people had to beg and plead for literally years before they raised it to 42.  Each group takes up server space.  The more groups you allow people to join the larger the groups are and the more space they take up.

If you are a member of a group just to get notices of new releases, then go to the shop and see if they have a subscription service and join it.  You'll still get notices and many even send free gifts too.  You can then leave the group without losing the benefit.

I suspect more than anything it is the Group Chat and Notices API's that cause the limits.

If membership in a group was just a simple data base notation it would be a fairly insignificant thing.  There is just more to it than what people sometimes realize.

Back when they upped it from 25 to 42, I remember there being a somewhat surprising reason why it was a big deal. I seem to recall it had something to do with crossing parcel boundaries and having to check whether you were in any banned groups. Or something like that. (Or this could all be the ravings of a caffeine-addled synapse.)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4085 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.