How do you feel about content creators using templates?

Strawberry Singh

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4593 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have noticed it a lot lately, in shoes particularly.  And while I don't mind it too much, I'm seeing not a lot of creativity in regards to a couple particular styles, when it comes to textures.  So I am tending to stay away from that particular shoe.  As for other clothing items... i haven't noticed.

When i make a cake in real life i don't lay an egg or create the milk myself lol

so in SL it doesn't matter if the template is not a pure creation or if the sculpt is sold full perm ... for me the result is the most important, how the creator express himself in the object.

• Like 7

Templates are more obvious since the meshes were widely available. It does still give a good chance to get creative anyway. I LOVE meshes because the move more like the body does and preserves modesty when it is waMMartsyFormal.pngnted. It isn't so bad to show some skin but I'm not too thrilled with the "**bleep** look" for most of the things I create.

I feel like SL would be much more boring if only a select few residents were creating new content. Templates for clothing and sculpted prims make it possible for the "average" resident to contribute to the growth and beauty of SL. Personally, I think ANY tool used to create your art is a wonderful thing.....

First, Eve... that was hysterical.

Okay I personally use templates, templates for me became another tool I used to learn how to do something and when I didn't understand how something was done, I asked the designer. (Just ask Niah how many questions she has answered over the years for me lol).

I like them, and I think that is how they should be used, as tools to help learn. I always mix things up, sometimes mixing several different designers into one, then cut or edit the template to make a new look. But that goes back to what you said at the beginning... making it your own. Not just slapping a color etc on it and calling it a day.

As I grow more comfortable with things, I make more and more changes and have even made my own templates for my own personal use. But I think they can be a great learning tool.

I really think Eve makes a great point about cakes and eggs.   I really don't care if they bought a template.  However, I am more likely to wear an item that is based off a template if its MORE then a template that consisted of an alpha mask, and someone is slapping that and a swatch of fabric inworld.  Use a template as a learning tool.  Take it into photoshop, play with creating fabrics, patterns, or using purchased textures to create something.  Once you learn get used to it, add or subtract from it.  Look at how that template was made, practise making hems, pockets, shadows, shading, highlights.  Begin to customise it, eventually develop your own set of tools and ditch the templates. 

I am willing to grow with you as a customer.

• Like 2

Kudos to Eve, 

I agree that templates are an incredible learning curve, not just for clothing, but consider the Eloh templates, not only did they open the very high and locked doors on skin creations up to that point, but they also brought a better understanding to thousands of people about how the avatar is actually constructed. As a Blogger, Store Manager and so on this knowledge has lead to a much easier way of explaining certain things, of accepting other things, and being able to help people when questioning why?

Templates are also wonderful when you consider that some people are amazing planners, they can construct an item from the ground up, but when it comes to what fabric, how to package, the marketing and so on, they are lost. Due to templates being a resource now, they are able to package that side of things and walk away, and let the more creative handle the rest.

I for one like them, but what I don't like is people acting as though they don't use them, or trying to convince me that the things in front of me aren't pre-made kits, that just annoys me.

• Like 2

I am no purist. I think that there are good things made with templates and good designers who learned the ropes with templates. The only thing I am not enthused about is the unimaginative and boring use of templates to simply add a recolor or a flat texture without bringing some inspiration and imagination to it. But you know, they don't hurt me because they look flat and uninteresting and don't tempt away my lindens. 

I have to agree with all that was said. I don't mind it, unless it looks the same with no change and ready for sale. I can't hate them because for my own skins, I use one because I loved the face so much but I do give credit where it is due, all the time.

A lot of content creators are purists sbout templates, but frankly, everyone has tapped those Chip Midnight templates, so it's really no difference. The same argument can be made about photo sourcing being "unpure." I say use everything and anything at your disposal. Andy Warhol screen printed Campbells Soup cans and it was art, for goodness sake. The point was it was evocative and visually interesting, not that it was done with oil paints and depicted the Madonna.

If the work is technically good, skillfull rendered and artistically solid, none of that would make a difference. It's about what moves us, represents us, makes us feel good (or bad ;)), not about the tools use to do that

• Like 1

I love it and always re-create the items myself so at least the person buying the items can see I have created the item, as many come with the completed item. 

I also sell well below what would be a "normal" retail price as I didn't create them myself.  Which means I am losing money, but I don't care.  I just enjoy making them and selling them at affordable prices.

I have also made many of my own items such as silks and furniture which are sold well below the recommended retail price.

Not selling my furniture at the moment since sculpties came in.

As for the creators of these templates they have found a boon in revenue!!  So good on them!!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4593 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.