Is the SL you similar to the RL you in looks?

Strawberry Singh

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4513 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

i wouldn't say my Av looks like me i modelled my shape on me got a similar skin colour & eyes plus my av and i are both shoe obsessed but thats as far as my RL has crept in to SL, my hair is wildly different to RL just like my height there's no way i'd want to be a tiny midget in SL i suffer enough with that RL in SL i wear dresses far more than i've ever done in my entire life time as for other fashions i do have stuff that is similar to my style though a lot of the time i'll wear stuff i like that the RL me wouldn't bother wearing

I'm trying to imagine my rl avatar walking around in an outfit like the ones I buy at Avid... looool. No, rl me is more "normal looking". And shorter. The rest is kinda same. 

In rl i wear jeans, in sl i find them boring.

In rl i rarely wear dresses, in sl i wear them often.

In sl 90% of the time my avi wears boots, I can't do that in rl lol

I can't put some nice wings on and walk like that in rl...

Also, I loooove crazy hairs in sl! RL is just a boring long blonde lol

O lord no!! lol  I am a 52 yo nanna with a sagging body and menopausal! No way do I want my avatar to look like me.  lol

She wears clothing I couldn't even be seen dead in.  She can be so outrageous, sexy and gorgeous and get away with it. 

However I do believe my avatar is the inner me my inner beauty that has come from within to be on the outside.  Besides I really do not want to recreate my faults in an avatar.  Her hair is based on the colours of my real hair, which is brown.  I use to have a figure like hers when I was 19.

• 2 months later...

Not terribly precise, as I haven't had the time to try to properly make a photo-skin of myself yet.....but it isn't too far off.  Clothing wise, however, I don't dress my avi the same as I dress in RL......because latex is expensive, and is frowned upon in corporate environments as daily wear.

You can make your own judgements on my profile : Helium Loon's profile

Not exactly, but at least similar to when I was a bit younger.  I went to some pains to find eyes and hair that are close.  I didn't feel I did a very good job trying to adjust sliders "from scratch" (well, on a default skin) so eventually I had someone who knows me in RL shop for a shape and skin.  There's always that difference between how we see ourselves and how others see us.  I did, however, "de-idealize" the shape slightly to proportions I felt were more reasonable.  I have versions saved that are "SL average" height and also at my RL height (which is pretty average for RL).

Clothing, well, it's mostly either stuff I do wear in RL, have owned and wore at some point in time or *would* wear if I had it.  That's not so much "trying to match RL" as that it's just what I happen to like.  I wear glasses less often in SL than in RL, but my avatar does have glasses.  I frequently switch to a ponytail version of my hair if I'm going to be working on something or running around a lot, same as RL, since it just feels natural to do so.

Could someone that knows me in RL pick my avatar out of a lineup of say 10 other human male avatars from SL?  Quite likely.  So the SL me is more similar to than different from the RL me.  I don't feel it's so much a matter of trying to imitate RL as it is that if I wanted to look different, I would have changed my RL appearance in the first place.  Different people will want different things in SL, but I'm more comfortable with an avatar that at least resembles RL enough that it doesn't look like a total stranger to me. 

Strawberry Singh wrote:

Do you dress your av the same way? Did you make your av look like you? My av is kind of similar to me, but I think a lot prettier.
:P
I do tend to stick with the darkers skins and darker hair like I have in RL. How about you?

The Avi I have now looks almost exactly like me when I was 25 and anorexic, although air-brushed, but I was blessed with beautiful skin and rarely even had a zit in my whole life.  Eye color is different, but it's me, reliving my past me, and I am not anorexic any longer.  So, my avi is me in the past, not the present. 

And, to the OP, if you look like that in rl, you should go for modeling.  It pays quite well. 

p.s.  I have a new machine in which my old photoshop does not work, so I have no pics of my current avi as I need to get a new photoshop program, but money doesn't grow on trees....

As far as dressing my avi, when I am human, it's similiar to about 40% of items I have in my rl wardrobe.  The other 60% of my wardrobe is more fantasy or would cost hundreds for just one outfit in rl.  lol   Whereas, in SL, I can dress to the nines for a few dollars. 

I'm just me, in a Medhue wrapper. Generally tho, I'm rarely ever wearing my normal avatar, as I'm always working on something. Although I make animations mostly, I still like to be in character while I'm working on it, and I usually try to wear the finished AO and character for a good week or 2 to make sure it all works the way I want it to. Whenever possible, I do use my normal avatar shape and mod it to fit the character that I'm working on. Not for my female avatars that i use while working on those AOs. They would be 1 ugly female, if I did, lol.

As far as style, I'm not sure i have 1. If I could fine a good pair of jeans for men, that is all I would need, and a few wordy Tshirts, lol. Weird enough tho, I do own some pretty expensive clothing in RL, I just rarely have a need to wear them. So, much like in RL, I have some jeans, shirts, and a few really nice suits, lol.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4513 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.