What do you think was the hardest thing to get used to when you first started SL?

Strawberry Singh

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4561 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Modifying clothes, and determining the difference between shape and skin, and understanding how they can work against or for each other. Many times I bought a skin disappointed when really it was my shape that was creating the problem. I remember once, I wanted to go to a Digit Darkes fashion show, and was trying to dress for it.  My skirt needed fitting and I couldn't for the life of me work it out, finally my guy friend logged on as me, so he could mod my skirt.  I was able to make the show, but spent a good week parked at a sand box with my friend learning how to mod my clothing afterwards.

When I first started SL, the hardest thing to get used to was movement, followed by trying to find someone to talk to. The default animations are atrocious and I hated the way I walked and stood, so I tried to fly everywhere. I assumed that, like most games, I could find people to talk to easily if I just flew around a little, so I spent days just aimlessly flying around the mainland. I'm sure you can imagine how well that worked out for me; I eventually quit SL out of sheer boredom.

I came back, though.

Still, it was a long, long time before I learned about AOs -- I had my noob duck-walk for ages.

Hi, movement is one, yes, and turning of typing animation, also prims and lashes are terrible (I think I still don't have the hang for them). Thank god I had many helpful people over time. Just recently I found a clear cache option I hadnt found before, so still learning. An other thing: how can I keep my spending in sl in control? I budget myself monthly and make it a sport to also look a lot for free items (hunts, mp, searching in blogs) and mix and match to create new outfits. Next step will be building, but that takes another step for me - ict challenged as I am in rl :-)

Moving around and walking like something was stuck up my rear end.  And since back in the day our avatars were so basic and ugly I didn't go back to Second Life for several weeks until, when a friend showed me what I could do.  Once I bought my very first hair from ETD, and was given a skin and a body shape, I never looked back.  I thought I was the bees knees back then.  *shudders*

The hardest thing for me was to find out why almost everybody else looked nice, stood nice, walked nice. I was really scratching my head about it. Why I'm so darn UGLY, what can I do about it?

I was thinking that those beautiful ones had some special secret skills what I needed to learn too. :smileytongue: At that time the newbie avies were really horrendous looking. :smileysad:

• 1 month later...

I found this forum about a week ago.  The question inspired me, still a newbie (at least I feel like one most the time :matte-motes-grin:) to write about my hardest things to get used to in my third ever blog entry.  Thanks, Strawberry!

http://educatinglotus.wordpress.com/2011/10/23/making-yourself-at-home-in-second-life-tips-from-one-newbie-to-another/

Another thing I haven't figured out how to get my avatar image included in my post :).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4561 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.