Sign in to follow this  
balthier1

can i plat second life with a ATI Mobility 128-M 16mb Video Card

Question

If your computer is so old that it doesn't have a CPU with SSE2, then you won't be able to enter SL with the standard viewer.  Phoenix still offers a viewer that will work without SSE2, but that may be the only one that does.  You can download it from http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/doku.php?id=downloads .  Look for the options labelled "Standard".

3 answers to this question

If your computer is so old that it doesn't have a CPU with SSE2, then you won't be able to enter SL with the standard viewer.  Phoenix still offers a viewer that will work without SSE2, but that may be the only one that does.  You can download it from http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/doku.php?id=downloads .  Look for the options labelled "Standard".

Frankly, even if you got that 386 or Athlon running SL, you would have abysmmal frame rates.  We generally get poor results with a P4 running below 2.2Ghz -- a 386 running at 1Ghz would be painful to use under optimal conditions.

If that's your rig, then it truly is time to buy a new computer.  Consider that you can buy a new machine with an i7 running 3.2Ghz and 6 gig of ram with a decent video card for less than 800$.  Turn the old box into a media server or storage farm, and get a new machine to handle the heavy lifting. 

And Kudos to you for keeping an old rig running for so long.  That's at least a 1999 machine.

I'm sorry, but no, there is no way you're going to play Second Life on that laptop.

First, if the viewer says it requires SSE2 support, and your CPU doesn't have it, then that's all there is to it.  SSE2 was introduced with the Pentium-4 processors -- and your Dell Latitude C600 laptop uses a Pentium-III.  Therefore, it doesn't have SSE2, and at that point, I'm afraid it's "do not pass go, do not collect $200." :)

Now, the Phoenix viewer does have a non-SSE2 version available... but your second obstacles are going to be the graphics chipset, and the amount of RAM in the laptop.  The C600 uses the ATI Mobile M3 graphics chip, which only supports 16Mb of graphics-data memory at most, and the laptop itself has a maximum RAM capacity of 512Mb.  Neither of these are even remotely adequate to support a Second Life viewer; even if you can somehow get the viewer to run, you'll be lucky to even get more than a couple of frames per second even when standing in an empty room, and you'll almost certainly bog down to seconds-per-frame the minute you go anywhere with other people around.

Hate to be the bearer (or confirmer) of bad news, but as we say here in Texas, "that dog just ain't gonna hunt." :)  At minimum, you need something with at least a 2GHz processor, a gigabyte of RAM, and a video card on the level of an nVidia GT240 (which isn't exactly top-of-the-line, but it'll do) to handle Second Life.  

(I have gotten SL to run on an Asus eeePC laptop, which has about half of those specs -- but I wouldn't say I enjoyed the experience. :) )