15000 ITEMS LOST IN INVENTORY

Nadine Denja

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3472 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello dear friends,

24h ago i lost around 15000 items from my inventory, including expensive stuff, eyes i love from a creator who quit Sl, great hair styles, no copy items and so on and on. Not mutch freebies indeed.

This brutal dilemma started the following way: I get myself some demo hair styles. after i tryed them i deleted the unneeded demos. so there where in my trash can. i empty my trashcan, had a 15 seconds lag issue while it delet the demo hair and after this was done, i lost around 15000 items from my 45000. No crash or something.

I tryed clearing cache, log in to beta grid, clearing cache manually, log in to diferent linden land, nothing helped... The loaded items change from 24664 to 29889, 27604, 29855 during this useless procedure but never go over 30K.

What else can i do? Will LL hear me and help?

Thank you for reding.

Hi Nadine,

Firstly, don't panic yet. Uninstall the viewer then reinstall it to begin with. Something may have corrupted at your end.

Be patient. I've known it to take days for my inventory to right itself sometimes. In fact right now I have folders that I don't want, but no way to move or remove them. These things happen and usually sort themselves out eventually.

Give it a couple of days then come back if it doesn't work. 

I am only speaking from experience though. I'm sure there are better solutions out there.

It might also help to completely delete your cache folder, install a different viewer -- an oldfashioned one that is known to be bug-free -- and then relog in a low-lag and usually empty region such as Lime. I wouldn't trust viewer 3 with my inventory at this point.

ETA: Sometimes things show up again when you clear out folders that have grown too large. Sort the things in your Objects and Clothing folders into subfolders and move them to new top-level directories, and then repeat the cache-deleting and relogging routine.

"... The loaded items change from 24664 to 29889, 27604, 29855"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That says what you are seeing as lost inventory is not true.  If it's lost, it's gone and would not come back sometimes and not come back other times.  I don't think you are being patient enough.........45,000 items is going to take time to load if you cleared your cache out (I mean it can take a very long time depending on your connection and how busy a server is when you attempt to load it).

Do the manual cache clearing (which is nothing more than manually deleting everything in the cache folder instead of relying on the viewer to delete those files).  Go to whatever tab in your preferences that you go to to "clear" your cache (the reason I say it that way is because with the number of viewers and how they place the clear cache option is way too many to try to direct anyone specifically where to find it).  Next to (or very close to) the button you use to clear the cache you'll is where the cache is located on your computer (it varies with operating systems and how you chose to set up your viewer installation......it will not be the same on everyone's computer).  Make note or copy the path and paste to something like notepad in Windows.  Shut down your viewer and navigate to the location.  At the final folder (usually named "Cache") open it and manually delete every file in it.  Restart your computer to flush any running memory.  Then log into to SL but instead of logging into your usual location change it to log into a Linden maintained sim created just for situations like yours.  Aqua, Pooley, or Smith are three that I remember off the top of my head.  Once you arrive at the sim take a few steps away from the landing point to prevent new arrivals from landing your head (there are times when those places can be surprisingly busy).  Open your inventory and you should see the counter running.........if not then jump start it by typing in the search box the letters "A, B, C", etc until it does start.  Then just wait......do nothing else (don't move, don't chat, and certainly don't change clothes or try to rezz anything).  It can take a long time so you have to be patient.  The last time I had to visit Pooley for inventory problems it took about 15 minutes to load my inventory which is less than 6,000 items.  The counter will probably stop and start several times.........you know you have 45,000 items so it if stops and 29,000 you know it's not loaded yet.

If that doesn't fix it then you just might be one of the very few who have actually really lost inventory........in 6 years I think I can remember maybe 3 times that has happened so it's very rare.  To address inventory that is really lost you'll have to get Linden Lab to help you.  Submit a ticket.

Thank you Peggy and all who answered,

Now, what Peggy wrote is comletely routine for me, i did this all and i waited till my inventory was fully loaded, i even was in busy mode at a linden sim serval times, also on beta grid.

I also see no folders from lost items in my inventory, they are simply gone too. Now i made a clean deinstall of the phoenix with all cache folders and so on, installed the official LL viewer and its still the same. So i guess my 15000 items and real money are lost. Inventory count 29927 items.

Hello Venus,

i did not have a premium account. Im just a medicore user and have no right for LL technical support. I also tryed all suggestions from here and inworld. I would never ignore any suggestions because this inventory lost is too important for me to ignore. It can happen to everyone, everytime. Really bad if you are "only" basic member and need LL support, you are lost, alone and sold out.

I always have several K of missing stuff but over the last week or so it has gotten really bad, enough that it makes building and customer service difficult/impossible.

So I asked for a "reinitialization" of my inventory, which they had done two years ago to good effect. First I asked in live chat, they told me to file a ticket (of course), which I did -- and although I told them everything I had tried, they less than helpfully suggested I try those exact things.

I responded in ALL CAPS. Finally the support guy said okay he would log into my account.  Then said he woud refer it to some Linden. I have not heard anything more, but my inventory is back to missing the normal 3-4 K of inventory.

I really don't understand that Linden Lab continue to do business as usual and add new features all the time without ever fixing the most glaring problems and bugs that make this platform appear so utterly unprofessional, unfinished, and risky in terms of investment.

I mean, people losing their inventory and asset servers randomly deleting assets (the dreaded "not found in database" message) are major bugs and critical showstoppers. This needed to be fixed back in 2004. I know that "fix bugs first, add new shinies later" is a tired old rant and I'm aware that the Lindens can simultaneously work on different tasks, but if severe bugs like this never get fixed, it might be about time to take a break from adding new code and make stability fixes the no.1 priority. Everything related to inventory and financial transactions needs to be 100% reliable.

You're right, of course, Ishy but I look at it slightly differently.

SL is beta, it always will be beta, the whole 'virtual world' concept is beta and the components of it are beta.  Inventory, group-chat, sim-crossings, windlight, voice; marketplace - have any of these things ever worked properly at the levels of concurrency SL reaches, let alone greater scaling?  (There's probably more, add your own examples)

Then again, some things do work - sculpties caused no major wailing, shadows don't seem to have upset anyone, despite its oddities scripters are generally happy with what LSL can do (we're wierd), web-profile-twit-face-SLUMs seem pointless and silly to me but aren't a problem.

These forums and *shudder* marketplace are the only real SL 'failures' in terms of taking things that were good - or at least functional - and making them worse.  For the forums at least this Lithium system is better than the jive-arse crap we had to put up with for a while.  I could be wrong about marketplace too.  We see many more complaints of failed deliveries, etc. than when it was (third party) XStreet but we do not see the numbers on succesful transactions.

More than anything else we have to consider what a complete mess of absolutely everything M made as CEO.

Things seem to have taken on a positive direction again since Rodvik took over.  There's a clear focus on the new-resident and premium experience.  Since they're looking at the customer-proposition they'll soon get to the "ok ... we've made it easier and more attractive to get here, now ... let's make x work once you do"

fingers crossed, applause to LL's recent initiatives and shoot M on sight.

Hello dear friends,

for me, im fine with SL being beta and a birthplace for bugs. Since my nearly 4 years in SL i am familiar with major bugs and the little ones who exist maybe since the first day and never been touched to get fixed. This will not break my neck. But loosing hard real money in case of bought items, uploaded pictures, builds, creativity and effort is def. not acceptable. LL MUST take care about such destructive issues. I guess most of the Linden dont need a big inevntory, or expensive items because a freebie geek, fox avatar or other cartoon-outfits are available for free all over the place so no wonder that they dont have panic loosing multiple K of important stuff.

Regards

Peter I understand what you're saying but, I have to point out; beta or not, if LL expects people (content creators or average residents) to invest their time and money in this platform, then security of their in world assets has to be the top priority. The entire virtual economy is based on us having rock-solid availability of our inventories. If I were a big-time builder say, and spent months putting together an amazing new sim then, saved it to inventory and logged out only to find it all gone the next time I logged in would I want to continue working in SL? How would "JaneAverage Resident" feel if she'd just spent L$20,000 on a new home and furnishings and the same happened to her?

Hell, on some days (like yesterday) you can't even conduct a simple conversation in local chat without it either vanishing into the ether or having it delayed. There's just no excuse for these kinds of ongoing issues that go to core functionality after 8 years. None.

Deej & Nadine - and anyone else making the same point.

I absolutely agree with you that there should be security of assets but SL has never offered it.  For premium residents there is hope, of sorts, through support so it's an insurance policy: will I get any support, will they fix it (will the insurance company pay out) when things go wrong.  If you believe so then go premium because the rest of us are SOL, which is fair enough if LL want to play it that way.  Platform unreliablitity is the reason I don't create as much as I used to and do not use Marketplace to sell at all.  Too many pissed-off newbies blaming me for LL's non-delivery?  No thanks!

Erp!  to make that clear: I don't think SL is a reliable enough platform to make any in-world investment (even just of time) worthwhile other than for purely entertainment purposes.

• 7 months later...

Re: 15000 ITEMS LOST IN INVENTORY    Comments 2012-04-18 13:43:06 DeanT Scout   Drakeo Resident,  Thank you for contacting us at Linden Lab Support. I'm sorry to hear you're having object issues. If this is regarding an object of yours that is on land you no longer own and the owner refuses to return it please submit an abuse report. If this is regarding an object that was returned but is missing from your inventory please see the following: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Inventory_Loss  If this did not resolve the problem please respond back with additional details on your issue, as I am not clear if you are talking about an object that is currently there in-world or has been returned.  Regards, DeanT Scout Linden Lab  2012-04-21 03:39:48 Me   the owner of the land is linden labs so as the you can see this 100 dollars of intan can cause your simple abbility to back up inventory. it was taken in to my inventory where you all lost it durring you back up thank you. please be so kind as to look in to your back up. cloud keeps three at all times.  2012-04-21 04:20:39 Me   The name of the Item is Drakeo's Heart Dance Intan . this should be very easy for you all to find. I am sure it is in your back up.  2012-04-21 10:23:39 DeanT Scout   Drakeo Resident,  Thank you for responding to this support case ticket. I'm sorry to hear you're still having issues. I am still not completely clear if you are referring to an item that is rezzed in world that you cannot get to or an item that is missing after being returned to your inventory from you abandoning a piece of land. Can you please respond back with further clarification on this matter?  Regards, DeanT Scout Linden Lab  2012-04-23 09:32:31 Me   Dean I when abandoning the land the intan was not returned to my inventory. there is some other minor objects also.  the object named Drakeo's Heart Dance intan was not returned to my inventory. I have searched everywhere piece by piece over 8000 pieces of inventory.  2012-04-24 10:48

Nadine Denja wrote:

Hello and thanks for your quick answers,

i use the phoenix 1185. I will try a clean uninstall and reinstall a fresh version. if this doesnt fix it, i try the same with the official LL V2.

I will post the news here as soon i know more.

Is that version of Phoenix a v1 version? I ised to get those swinging inventory numbers all the time on v1.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3472 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.