Sorting Inventory

Cajsa Lilliehook

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4598 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I used to always have my clothing inventory under control, but decided to reorganize it (a mistake!) and now am in between two different inventory blueprints and can tell it's not  working. So it's time to go back to the the drawing board. 

Dresses

• Casual
  • _By Color (several folders)
  • Cocktail
  • _By Color
  • Formal
  • _By Color

Tops

• Tees and Tanks
  • Short Sleeve
  • _By Color
  • Long Sleeve
  • _By Color

Pants

• Shorts
  • Jeans
  • _By Color
  • Dressy
  • _By Color

That gives you an idea. I got the wild idea to sort by designer and need to turn that back around, but since I am strarting over, perhaps you have inventory architectures that work really well for you and would like to share.

Cajsa Lilliehook wrote:

perhaps you have inventory architectures that work really well for you and would like to share.

First, rename the folder containing the clothing item or outfit. Include color and length of hem if applicable.

Then, I sort clothes basically like this.

Every folder begins with the word CLOTHES. That way, I can type that word and/or scroll down to that part of the inventory and find things much quicker.

Then a dash. Then, the subcategory, such as top, dress, gown, pants, swimwear.

Then a further subcategory. It begins to look like this:

CLOTHES - Gowns - Floor Length - Strapless

CLOTHES - Gowns - Tea Length 

(can put fourth and fifth qualifiers if you have enough of a given item. This will be different for everyone. Some have no gowns at all.)

I do not separate things FROM their folders, not even copied into a new folder. Instead I will put together separates using color as a starting point, or season.

I also group types of outfits into categories, from pants, shorts, or skirts outfits, even to dresses outfits, since some come with shoes and all (stockings, bag, etc.) although that's rare.

If I find something I can't categorize, or a category is becoming too large and unwieldy, then I subdivide it into a new folder. For instance,

Clothes - Gowns - Tea Length - Retro

Odd I chose that category since I'm usually in pants and never wear gowns any more. But it was illustrative.

eeek I started that way many moons ago, sorting by type etc, but not anymore mine is like this 

Body Parts Folder>

Hair>

(Alphabet Folders)

A>

Amacci>

>Long

>Short

>Updo

Clothing Folder>

Designers>

(Alphabet Folders)

A>

> adam n eve 

> Artilerri

> Aoharu 

and so on, so always a main folder like all clothes go in designers, shoes in shoes, accessories in accessories, but each of those have alphabets, then folders of the stores then the folders of the items. 

So for me doing something like the alphabet challenge is half done lol

If I had a YEAR, maybe i could redesign my inventory.... right now I just sort by designer... when i first purchase or recieve something it goes in my "new purchases folder". When that becomes unmanagable... I sort it to my regular inventory.... which looks something like this....

Body Parts

• Skin and Shape
  • Hair
  • Eyes
  • Lashes
  • Nails
  • Makeup
  • Tattoos

Clothing

• Designer names plus sub categories as follows
  • Beachwear
  • Costumes
  • Lingerie

Every folder is sub sorted by designer.. BUT... I have to admit... i have a hard time finding stuff that I want if I can't remember who made it.  I would love to sort things by SEASONS!  I did have a formal folder.. then abandoned it.. but I think I'm going to bring that one back....  I need a secretary to manage my closet!!!!!

Then of course I have my regular folders for poses, building stuff, textures etc....

PS.. Thank you Cajsa, I got my sig line to work!!!

wow you are all so organised!

I have created folders like:

clothes (new, new 1, new 2...), hair, jewelry, skin, tattoos (also for makeup), freebies, hunts, house, animal, music, animations, costumes, shoes, textures and such. And everything i just put in those folders.

But i leave new items out of folders way to long and havent sorted inside the folders for a very very long time..... pffff, sounds like work ahead :-)

Oh really.. its not NEARLY that organized!... I have about 100 notes i need to read and delete!  And my new purchase folder is about ready to burst!  I tried to organize better one time... I took a week off from my RL job and got about 1/3 of the way through my clothes in an entire week.... i wanted to cry.....

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4598 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.