Deploys for the week of 2011-09-19

Oskar Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4568 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This week the mesh maint-server changes are being promoted from BlueSteel. We are also shipping a fix for SVC-7283 to each RC channel.

Second Life Server (main channel)
  • Adding additional metric collection information
  • LSL enhancements to catch and prevent shape changes that would cause a return
  • Support for calculating Resource Weights and Land Impact for all objects
  • Several crash fixes
  • Region/parcel crossing fixes
  • Miscellaneous fixes
  • llCastRay() enabled.

2011-09-20, 5:00am: Rolling Restart - Release Notes: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Server/11

Second Life RC BlueSteel
This channel contains only the fix for SVC-7283.

2011-09-21, 8:00am: Rolling Restart - Release Notes: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_BlueSteel/11

Second Life RC LeTigre
This channel is getting a fix for SVC-7283 and the maint-server project from last week.

2011-09-21, 9:00am: Rolling Restart - Release Notes: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_LeTigre/11

Second Life RC Magnum
This channel is getting a fix for SVC-7283 and some changes to the permissions system and simulator configs.

2011-09-21, 10:00am: Rolling Restart - Release Notes: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_RC_Magnum/11

We will be monitoring this thread during the next week so please feel free to post issues that you feel have been introduced by the new code. Please file a JIRA for issues you find and post the JIRA link into this thread. It really helps us out. When determining if issues are relevant or not research is key. Tracking down exactly the right situation where an issue is occurring greatly speeds up the development process to get fixes in place.
I appreciate your help. Have a good week!

__Oskar

p.s. If you are interested in helping test SecondLife in beta please join the group "Second Life Beta" in-world. We also have an email list where we communicate upcoming projects and how you can help. ( https://lists.secondlife.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/server-beta ) Once a week we meet on ADITI to discuss new features, new bugs, new fixes, and other fun stuff. You are more than welcome. Information is here: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Server_Beta_User_Group

Oskar,

Let's hope this restart fixes a lot of the problems the last ones have caused, because many more weeks like last week and you wont need to do them at all as it will just be you and and a handfull of transitory newbies passing through.  Last weeks lag and massive crashes and inventory problems saw a huge drop off in business in all areas of sl as regular players stayed away in apparent disgust.  If this is not alarming to Linden Labs, then it needs to be, because it is those people that use second life and keep it society and economy going, and their presense is much more important than a psuedo-improvement such as mesh will ever be, especially with the problems its implementation is causing is driving the very people off who might find it one day useful.

As I commented on SVC-7283, between this and a major Marketplace bug that's causing purchases to be lost, I've got two friends - both pretty big vendors - who are seriously considering pulling out of SL, since it seems that LL doesn't care about SL businesses's success. The cause of this error was rolled grid-wide with essentially zero testing; this fix should have been rolled gridwide on an emergency basis.

Please return to sending out a popup warning of restarts. Putting your warning into a chat notice does no good if people are in IMs or building or scripting, and an unanticipated restart can cost them a lot of work, and LL a lot of good will.  This is a minor courtesy that should not be neglected, as it does a great deal to improve your level of support.

@Cincia

I don't think Tonya would make such a comment without good cause, Cincia, she's not a moaner or naysayer. 

As to your hopeless Rah, Rah Linden Lab attitude, it is about as valid as the naysayers' moaning.

Oskar and his team do as good a job as the tools he's presented with, and some of those are well below what I would consider adequate.

@ Wolf

As far as testing goes, I think I have to agree with Wolf, this needs to be got right, so screwwing the Main server still further would aid no one.

@Oskar

One thing I have noticed post our sim's restart: our 2Extreme flying owl is broken.  The movement vectors in its script seem to have been lost.  I don't think it was coincidence, but not being a scripter, I have no idea what has happened.  It hoots, it flaps its wings and it turns, but it simply darts from location to location at the end of its flight period.  NOT expected behaviour.

Cincia Singh wrote:

Rock n Roll with the restarts, Oskar. Keep making things better. As for the negative comments ... same old same old.

IF...IF the restarts actually make things better, unlike last week.  I'm glad for you that it appears that neither you nor your customers were affected by the mash up of last week.  Call me (or any one of the other commentors in JIRA 7283) if you'd like to volunteer to do our customer service the next time we get such an appalling grid wide break of content.

Looking forward to you handling my customers complaints *smiles*

Something is going wrong. Might be concidence but I'm getting logout-on-TP between Le Tigre and MC servers, after the roll-out finished. It's affecting Phoenix, Firestorm, and Viewer 3. There may be the same problem with other combinations of server code, but you have to get to the Region to know which Sim is running.

These aren't quite crashes.  I'm getting the "You have been logged out" message.

It's looking like something else, since I'm in the Koleamoku region, and none of the neighbouring regions are visible, and I know they're not all the same server version. I know that region is El Tigre, and so is one of the invisible regions.

I had something similar before, a few months ago, and there was no apparent cause when I checked with Live Chat 

@ Ayesha ... since it serves no useful purpose to be negative about an impending rolling restart immediately "before" the roll has commenced, because there is no opportunity for Oskar to change the code about to be rolled by the time he announces it, I think doing so is pointless and a bit mean. But if people think bashing and flaming is a way to influence what LL does, by all means I hope they enjoy  themselves.

@Cincia

Yes, unfounded and ungrounded criticism is, as always, a pointless excercise,  I think we agree on that.  I addressed myself principally to Tonya's point regarding SVC-7238 and LL's response.  In that context I think she was entirely justified in calling the response inadequate, even if it has been, by LL standards when they aren't "knee-jerking", quite quick.  The point, that this situation should never have arisen, is now moot but is going to exercise patience for some time.

No -one expects Oskar to change the code, the criticism is of operations well removed from the release team.

There are many within this forum that simply like to vent their spleen, and if I were Oskar, I'd've developed a pretty thick skin by now, though it can't be much fun.

It does seem to have cleared up.

Whether it's my ISP, some other chunk of the 'net , or Linden Labs' own network with all the various servers, it's not Oskar's problem, but the timing was so suggestive. Server rollout, failing to TP to a region running the new code, eventually getting there, and failing to TP out again.

I appreciate all the improvements that have come in the Server, but I'd settle for things just working predictably. 

@Sunset We have a special system that shows us immediately when individual regions don't come back up right away. This can happen for any number of reasons. Getting those regions back online is our top responsiblity during rolling restarts. Some regions just become stubborn for one reason or another. We will get your region back online as soon as we can. I apprecite your patience.

__Oskar

Literally dozens of sims havent come back up, been over an hour too, simple view of the map shows that. Happens all the time, LL are so damned efficient at that, pity they are not as efficient at correcting the problem !!

Linden owned sims on their continents, if all of us in this predicament said sod it and abandonded the land and didnt pay tier would they even notice ?

Your special system must be working overtime because you have sims offline all over sl and port and not working to sims that are up.  Could it be that this series of restarts has caused a bit more than the normal quota of problems?  Serious question, when can we expect the sims to be up again and when will ports and other disrupted services be working again?

Oskar, release notes appear to be messed up.  The notes for Magnum (11.09.20.241144) don't mention the fix for SVC-7283, but it appears to be there from my testing; the notes for BlueSteel (11.09.15.240906) do mention it.  I haven't checked to see if SVC-7283 is fixed on BlueSteel and LeTigre.

Unfortunately your roll out broke PRIM_PHYSICS switch for llSetPrimitiveParams and now many items in world won't work or don't work correctly. And the annoying thing is LL was notified of it and acknowledged it when it was on the LL server. Yet they went a head and put it on the other servers the next day knowing it was broke. And now we will have to wait weeks for it be corrected.

In the meantime creators are scrambling to make a temporary fix the the products they currently sell, are fielding customer complaints on products that have already been purchased and losing sales in the process because their items don't work. We can't even hold races because our cars are broke. One person even claims to have had their account suspended because of the amount of AR's she received about her products not working.

And before someone jumps all over me for complaining about it here we were actually told by Andrew Linden that if we wanted more attention for the issue we should complain about it in other places than the Jira. So I am doing this because it was suggested by a linden who actually wants to fix the problem.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4568 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.