SLv2 not opening in Win7 64-bit

jchappy65

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4550 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I downloaded the Second Life Viewer 2 and installed it on my Windows 7 Home 64-bit Laptop, (it installed as a 32-bit program) and when i go to open the client it does not open. I opened the Task Manager and watched the program open and when i click on the viewer, but after two seconds of the viewer loading, it stops and nothing happens. I know my laptop surpasses the minimum requirements. So what seems to be the problem?

Operating System

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1

CPU

Intel Core i7  @ 2.00GHz

Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology

RAM

8.00 GB

Motherboard

Hewlett-Packard 159B (CPU1)

Graphics

Radeon HD 6850M

Intel® HD Graphics Family

Hard Drives

733GB Hitachi HTS727575A9E364 (RAID)

Optical Drives

hp CDDVDW TS-T633C

Audio

IDT High Definition Audio CODEC

================

And no error message is displayed, i just click on the viewer and my mouse turns into the loading loading circle mouse for about 10 seconds and then just stops, nothing pops up at all...

I would try a couple things some where already mentioned i believe.

1. If you have a relatively fast internet connection, try increasing your bandwidth in the Preferences>Network 

section.

2. If you have a beefy graphics cards try upping your sculptie render settings  to 3 or 4 they are found here 

Advanced>Debug Settings>RenderVolumeLODFactor

3.Bring your draw distance in some so your graphic card isnt working so hard.

HTH,

Drager

I tried using a third party client viewer (firestorm-beta-mesh) to see if it was the original client viewer and not my laptop and Firestorm does the same thing, so I dont know what is wrong with my laptop, its brand new; i got it from the factory 5 days ago...

I have the exact same problem with my desktop. My system runs Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit SP1, Intel Core 2 Quad CPU with 8GB of RAM, ATI Radeon HD3650 graphics card.

Viewer 2 used to run when I had Windows XP Professional 64-bit SP2, but my hard drive crashed and now I have Windows 7 and it just won't run Viewer 2 anymore. I've tried compatibility settings on the viewer 2 shortcut and it made no difference, the process just starts then quits after a few seconds with no error or warning message.

Okay, I completely disabled & uninstalled my Intel HD graphics and only have my ATI Radeon HD 6850 installed as my default and primary graphics driver. I tried every compatability mode while running as admin. Everything on my laptop, driver-wise, is updated, I even rolled back some of the drivers to see if earlier versions worked. Still nothing...This seems almost rediculous for Second Life to not run on Mobile Intel HD Graphics. Why is SL the only game that has issues with onboard graphics cards? This problem should've been taken care of a long time ago... :(

My mobo doesn't even have onboard graphics, ATI Radeon HD 3650 is the only graphics on my system, and the same thing happens. Viewer 2/3 and Firestorm all quits with no error or warning message. I had ATI CCC 11.6, upgraded to 11.8 today and still the same thing.

I just installed Viewer 3 on another Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit SP1 computer, same thing happened. This computer has Intel Core 2 Duo CPU, 4GB RAM, and onboard Intel Q35 graphics, it runs the Phoenix viewer just fine though.

The common denominator here is 64-bit version of Windows 7 SP1 and Intel CPU.

I just re-installed Windows 7 Professional 32-bit on another desktop computer of mine, installed SL viewer 2/3 and Firestorm, same result. and I have a nVidia GeForce GTS 250 graphics card installed on it. I also tried an old Matrox card i had back in 2000, same thing...

So much for a common denominator...

wow...just...wow; I powered on my laptop (the 64-bit Win7 Home), launched SL in compatability mode (Windows XP Service Pack 2)....and it runs...it actually runs! I changed nothing at all. All i did was completely shut down my laptop and powered it back on. I changed nothing at all but the compatability mode.

BUT...

When i go to login, it starts and connects, BUT, it crashes when the graphics load. I tested this issue with the graphics settings at Low, Medium, and High. They all end the same, failing way...

And.........I'm bored.... :(

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nathaniel Starsider wrote:

The common denominator here is 64-bit version of Windows 7 SP1 and Intel CPU.

No problems here with the following. Works just great.

Viewer: Second Life 3.2.1 (244227) Nov  1 2011 07:01:35 (Second Life Beta Viewer)

CPU: Intel® Core i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz

Memory: 8169 MB

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1

Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation

Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 560 Ti/PCI/SSE2

Driver version: 266.44

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4550 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.